PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff

Erin
07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I have just given Jerry another brush and noticed that there is alot dandruff in his fur,any ideas what this could be? Ive never noticed it before.

sarah5
13-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Ooh my cat has "dandruff" too, is that normal then?

Elaine
13-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Dandruff can be caused by many things from temerature and humidity to obesity, diabetes etc.
In many cases alot of indoor cats have dandruff due to the humidity of the house and the central heating.
A cat that is obese how ever cannt get its head round to wash properly and obesity can lead to diabetes.
Normally though if it is due to ill health there will be other issues such as vomiting, excessive drinking or lack of food/water intake.

sarah5
13-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Ah that will be it then.. Thomas is rather large shall we say (have posted about his weight and he is now on a strict "diet"!) so that will answer my dandruff question.

Thanks Elaine

dandysmom
13-08-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.geocities.com/pndtpa/glossary/dandruff.htm

Interesting link to cat dandruff......

Elaine
13-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Good luck with the dieting, my Diva is also on a diet, not always easy;)

sarah5
13-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Good luck with the dieting, my Diva is also on a diet, not always easy;)

No I agree it's not very easy, especially when you have more than one cat :roll: Good luck to Diva too :D How much does she weigh? Thomas is 5.7 kgs which actually doesn't sound that much but his tummy wobbles side to side when he walks, he is like a small tank bless him :lol:

Elaine
13-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I am almost scared to say:lol:
She did weigh in at 7.6 kilos, I hasten to add that she is a very large built cat especially for a female.
We then got her down to 7.1, that was her last weigh in at the vets in July, I weighed her this evening and she is now stuck on the 7 mark so may have to reduce her food a little more but at least she hasnt gained which i was very worried about.

sarah5
13-08-2007, 09:56 PM
:lol: sorry but I couldn't help but giggle at your last reply! I can't help but wonder if I have somehow weighed Thomas incorrectly as 5.7 kgs doesn't sound that much but he really is a heffer :lol: And I know that I'm not over-exaggerating because the vet almost fell off his chair when I took him the other day, the first thing he said was "woah this cat needs to lose some weight" :lol: poor Thomas!!

Elaine
13-08-2007, 10:05 PM
:lol: She IS the Diva
It aint over till the fat lady sings:lol:
Her photos are deceptive but she is over weight and a very large boned lady.
Bernie weighed in at 4.4 kilos.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/Eva%20and%20Bernie/cute007.jpg

Fran
13-08-2007, 11:39 PM
I have noticed particularly with the dogs but occasionally with the cats too that they have a litle dandruff whilst shedding their coats..not sure if this would apply for Jerry at the mo??

Erin
14-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks for your replies all,Fran it could be down to him shedding cause he's moulting for England at the moment :roll:Thanks for the link Eileen,very useful :)