PDA

View Full Version : Nightime is for sleeping....

Cairns&Whisky
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Well it is for adults.

We're having a bit of a problem with our female cat.

She's always been a bit of a pain....she goes outside and as soon as she's out, she wants in, but doesn't really want in, it's almost as if she's happy knowing that the door / window is open.

Last night, it was lashing of rain...when she wants out, she picks at the window with her claws, which wakens me up, so i put her out of the bedroom she claws at the bedroom door...then if i let her in, she claws at the window and so on, if i let her out, she'd be out for half an hour then she'll be clawing at the other side of the window, again wakening me up.

Really not sure what to do.

We've had her for a year and a half. Her previous owner was an old lady who used to leave her outside all the time. She slept in the garage with her food and had a cat flap to go in and out. She's never been this bad before. Last night was the final straw where i really need to find out what the best thing to do.

Our other cat, he's male, he gets as annoyed with her as we do as he sits and growls when she meows...lol.

Anyone got any advice?

My first thoughts which i did start last week was to try and get her in a routing and keep her out all day and in all night, but locked out of the bedroom...however, last night she just wasn't giving up, she really wanted in the bedroom, to go outside, in the pouring rain....why!?

They have litter boxes (3 of them) in the house and plenty of food and water.

Thanks in advance for your comments...
Lisa

Emm
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Lisa,

Is she neutered?
Also are you able to get a cat flap then that would solve it she could come and go as she pleased. I have 5 cats and if I didn't have the cat flap I would never sleep! :lol:

Give me a sec and I'll post a link to another members post who got some great advice from a cat behavourist. :)

Emm
06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
here we go post no. 32 http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22716&page=4

maybe this is a similar problem she has learned she gets attention from doing this.

babycakes
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
That sounds good advice from Emm as she seems to have learnt that you will respond. Charliebubs had a behaviourist come see her and Bernard with similar issues she will be able to give you good advice too

Cairns&Whisky
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks Emm,

She is neutered.

We have a cat flap in the garage as that was her set up before, which she doesn use, but not all the time, like anyone she's rather come inside.

We live out in the country and last week we left the window open so she could come and go as she pleases, only to be woken to her loud meowing, me thinking there was something wrong with her, so i jumped up, switched the light on and there she was, munching a mouse on my bedroom carpet!!!! :shock:

If we did have a cat flap in the house that would happen all the time. We often find mouse heads and bits round the house.

Thanks for the link, i'll go have a good read.

Lisa

Fran
06-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I think she has you wrapped around her little paw ;) Hopefully that link will give you some ideas. Do let us know how you get on...

Cairns&Whisky
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks Fran...I'll do my best.

One thing i forgot to mention, which will put us all back to square one, is we're off to Cyprus for a week on wednesday and they're both going to a local cattery. :(

Hoping to resolve it and give her even more love and attention - thru the day! :)

Thanks all for your help.

Rosie
07-08-2007, 12:18 PM
My two would go mad if I didn't have a cat flap, especially with the warmer nights. True Rosie does bring in mice at least a couple of nights a week but that is all part and parcel of having outdoor cats and they are only doing what comes naturally. Alfie and Rosie both go in and out continually day and night. It is almost as though they keep coming in to check everything is OK and then go out again! Get a catflap - end to all your problems.

babycakes
07-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Denis changed for the better after his first trip to the cattery. He became so loving towards me wanting cuddles and tummy rubs, I think he realised how good he had it at home hopefully your kitty will be the same on your return ;)

charliebubs
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Lisa,
I hope you've managed to get some sleep lately!! I see that Emm posted a link to my thread about my problems with Bernard, which are similar.
It does sound as though she has you wrapped around her paw...........as Bernard does me!!! :) They need to be re-trained almost to un-learn their bad behaviour.
I have been shutting Bernard in the kitchen for the last few nights with a special food treat and the window open so that he can come and go as he pleases. I am also walking away when he comes demanding attention, but giving it to him when I feel like it and on my own terms.

I think that the trip to the cattery might actually do your girlie good..........she will be out of the routine of crying at the window at night and might make her change the way she behaves when she comes back home.

The one thing the behaviourist taught me is that cats like routine and habit..........if you change that then they get all confused and start behaving badly. You say that the window was open before for a bit and she could come and go as she pleased..............so now she just expects that she should be able to do that.

I think maybe a catflap would be the answer for you. You might have to put up with some dead mice, but at least you'd get some sleep ;)

Good luck!!! :)

mable1718
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
i hope everyones help is great because i cant really help