PDA

View Full Version : Another Jaffa update

Archer
05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone
Jaffas wounds seem to be healing well.He had a second anaesthetic to clean the wound as he had mess stuck to it due to dribbling.
The bad news is I am 99% sure he has suffered brain damage:( .He eats,uses the litter box etc but he seems 'simple' to put it kindly.He has had no medication for nearly a week so its not that.
Nikki

Jac
05-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Sorry I must have missed your original post what happened?

Archer
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Jaf was hit by a car about 10 days ago...it broke his jaw and ripped the flesh from his jaw bone:(

Jac
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. Such a horrible thing to happen. Have you had him back to the Vet? Will they be able to tell if his brain has been damaged? I really hope that's not the case.

Erin
05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
aww poor baby,I must have missed a thread too.
((((hugs))))

Archer
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. Such a horrible thing to happen. Have you had him back to the Vet? Will they be able to tell if his brain has been damaged? I really hope that's not the case.

Hes been back once...due back again this week.Guess they could do a brain scan but vets bills are already astronomical and at the end of the day if it is as we think there is no treatment so will just leave him be.

Jac
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I know about vet bills I was £300 for my two and only one has insurance:cry: . Oh god I must send the claim back.

Kazz
05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Oh dear I missd the thread too but 10 days ago I had Cleo PTS so other things on mind I am sorry Nikki, as you say leave him be and he will more than likely be happy as larry.
Sometimes the best course of action is no actiona nd the brain is a funny thing rest may bring him back to "almost normality" or better. Hope he is fine soon.

Cars and cats never a good mix.

Karen

Archer
05-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry about Cleo Kaz....not suprised you had other things on your mind.We're over £500 on vets bills for Jaf now....probably more to come and no insurance...still hes worth it!

MrsH
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm glad Jaffa is healing, at least physically. As to brain damage...well if he's eating, drinking and using the litter-tray, then that's good isn't it? I mean Jaffa won't know that he's damaged so he'll still have a good quality of life from his point of view. For your peace of mind he'll have to be an indoors only cat now I suppose. He'll always be a special boy though eh?

Archer
05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes he'll always be my no 1 boy...and it doesn't bother me if he has brain damage as long as he isn't suffering.
We are in the process of sorting a outdoor run with access from the back window so that the cats will all be 'inddor cats' but with limited safe access to some fresh air!

babycakes
05-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Glad Jaffa is recovering well with respect to his eating etc, maybe the whole episode has just knocked the wind out of him and changed his character?? as you say though it won't matter as he is well looked after and he will be very happy regardless.

dinahsmum
06-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I'd say keep an open mind as to whether he is brain damaged or if it is permanent - he may well (I hope) continue to improve for some time. Try to 'do things' with him, so that he is stimulated rather than assume that he can't interact.
Pleased to hear that his physical recovery is going well.

Emm
06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
thats great hes recovering. I know its easier said than done but try not to worry about him being brain damaged - it can take some time to heal the brain so hopefully he just needs lots of recuperation time. At least he is eating, and doing the toilet alright - thats a great idea to keep the cats indoors now with safe access outside - it will give you loads of peace of mind.

Please give Jaffa a great big kiss and hug from me.

Fran
06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi Nikki, years ago, I had a cat that suffered very similar injuries to Jaffa. The vets said he should never have survived the accident as his injuries were so horrific. He was left with a cleft palatte which he had repaired more times than I care to think about and that is in the end why I had him put to sleep as he was tired of the operations, that just never worked and I felt enough was enough and he had little quality of life due to operation after operation :( but getting back to the point, he was left blind in one eye, he regained sight in the other eye and was left somewhat apparantly brain damaged. Over time he did almost get back to his former self but I'm talking quite a long time before we really saw the 'old Benson' back with us so don't give up hope. Plenty of love and stimulation and I'm sure you will see small improvements as the weeks roll by {{{Hugs to you and Jaffa}}} x

Jane
06-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm glad he's improving. Give him a hug from us if he's not too sore. Regarding the brain damage, I hope he's not and even if he is aslong as he's not suffering then he's okay? :)

dandysmom
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm happy he's improving physically, and hang in there, his brain function may well return to somewhat more normal as time passes...the brain is an amazing thing! With all your TLC and stimulation, who knows...(((hugs))) to you both.....

charliebubs
06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm glad to hear that he's healing physically. I hope that the mental healing will come with time and that he'll return more to normal. Fran's story gives some hope :)

Give him hugs and kisses from us, and keep us posted with how he gets on at the vets this week.