PDA

View Full Version : Stop smoking on the NHS? what a joke

Jac
04-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Moli as you know has stopped smoking with the aid of new tablets from her GP.
When I went to my Doc last week I asked for them. He told me that the Lothian Health Board hasn't passed them yet as there budget is low.
If I lived in another town say Fife I would be able to get them. He called it the NHS post code lottery. Just like the tablets I used to get that worked and I had to come off them.
The upshot is I decided to buy them on line. Now it's a 12 week course. For the two week starter pack it's costing me £99. The full course is going to cost £100's but I figure I'll save money in the long run and of course my health will improve. In the mean time I'll put away the money I spend on Ciggys so that should help towards the cost.
Dont you think it's wrong? I really want something that's going to help me kick the habbit but because of my post code I'm having to pay full whack or go without and continue to smoke.

Erin
04-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Thats awful,what the hell do we pay our NI for grrrrr it makes me so mad!!!!!!!
Good luck though Jac's you can do it :)

Jac
04-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Well I'm more determined than ever. Lets face it it's alot of money. they should arrive on Monday. Will let you know how it goes.

MrsH
04-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Sadly there are lots of things that are not available everywhere on the NHS in the UK, so much depends on where you live. Drugs for certain conditions such as some forms of dementia and, recently announced, some of the new treatments for rheumatoid arthritis to name just two.

Some drugs/treatments have been authorised by the Welsh assembly for use in Wales but English counties bordering on Wales seemingly have to follow NICE assessments and don't/can't supply those same drugs. How fair is that!

Jac
04-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I know. I was on a painkilling drug that worked for me. My doctor got into trouble for giving it to me as it was too expensive. I was asked by him to write to the local authority to see if I could stay on it. They said no. Instead of taking one tablet twice daily. I now that 6 cheaper one's that don't work nearly as well and oral morphine!

Kim
04-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I think it is very wrong Jac. You should be helped and encouraged if you want to give up, not have to buy these tablets on line because you live in the 'wrong' area. Good luck to you though - I'm sure you can do it and you will soon feel healthier and think of all the money you will save long-term!!!

Jane
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
That's not fair Jac :( It's silly really, it shouldn't matter where people live!! Kim is right though, although it's a lot of money remember it will save you more in the long term ;) Also, by paying for it it will make you even more determined to stop. I'm not saying you wouldn't be as determined if it was free on the NHS, but you wanna get your moneys worth eh ;)

Jac
04-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Well I'm a happy bunny. Just found another site that sell's the same product and alot cheeper. Iv'e now got six weeks supply. The two week starter pack and another four week supply for £145. Bearing in mind I was paying £99.99 for the two week starter pack!
Yes I will do it. I will live longer with my kids, be healthier, and not smell like a wet ashtray:lol:

Erin
04-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Well I'm a happy bunny. Just found another site that sell's the same product and alot cheeper. Iv'e now got six weeks supply. The two week starter pack and another four week supply for £145. Bearing in mind I was paying £99.99 for the two week starter pack!
Yes I will do it. I will live longer with my kids, be healthier, and not smell like a wet ashtray:lol:

Thats good Jacs,good luck,Im sure you will do it easy :)

Jac
04-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Thats good Jacs,good luck,Im sure you will do it easy :)

Yeh I will Erin. I know if I'm having a tough time you guys will kick my a**e and nudge me on:D

Emm
04-08-2007, 08:39 PM
when I went to give up smoking I decided I would do the patches - I could only afford one box - but in Boots they just laughed at me and said you can't give up on one box if smoke as much as you do.

I ended up walking out that shop and have never smoked since. I did it without anything - well I did have lollipops :lol:

You can do it - you just need to stay focused and realise even with the tablets it will be difficult at times but the end reward is so much better - now when I tell people I used to smoke they say no - I would never have thought you ever smoked! makes me pleased especially as my sister used to call me fag ash annie cause I smoked so much! LOL

and no I never get any cravings for them at all - just prepare your mind for it! and you'll succeed!

Kim
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM

You certainly have the right attitude Jac, I am sure you can do it!!!! :D

Moli
05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Its ridiculous!!! I am getting them for the price of a perscription...

Moli
05-08-2007, 08:07 PM
[quote=Jac;408792]Yeh I will Erin. I know if I'm having a tough time you guys will kick my a**e and nudge me on:D[/qu

If I can do it Jac's, so can you, its been 11 days for me now!;)

Erin
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Well done Moli,you areb doing so well,do you even have the urge for one or do the tablets stop that?

Moli
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Well done Moli,you areb doing so well,do you even have the urge for one or do the tablets stop that?
No urges at all Erin, and thats with my hubby chain smoking at the weekends too...These tabs takes away any urges altogether...;)

Erin
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Thats fantastic Moli,think ill talk to my gp about them

Jac
05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Your doing really well Moli I'm proud of you. I'll be joining you next week when my supply get here.

dinahsmum
06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't know if this article will be any help? Clive James used to be an 80 a day man :shock: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6929670.stm
He sort of gave up and 'mourned' - maybe that's a tip?

Emm
07-08-2007, 08:42 AM
interesting article - I was reading the comments below it as well. It was those kind of comments that put me off stopping smoking - I was so afraid to have to spend the rest of my life wishing I could smoke - but its not true - I don't wish I could smoke again - and won't be taking it up again on my death bed :lol:

Soupie
07-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry you are not able to get help on the NHS Jac :(

I find the whole debate about drugs availability very difficult particularly as there are people with life threatening diseases who cannot get drugs which will prolong their lives but the NHS does not have the budget to fund them.

Different authorities have different demands on their funding - I have waited two years for an operation to enable me to walk without crutches/wheelchair/morphine partly due to funding for orthpaedics in our area.

Although smoking does cause health problems I guess funding for helping people to stop smoking is going to come below funding for conditons with a more immediate threat to life such as cancer etc etc

Keep trying Jac - you may find the position changes in the future :)