PDA

View Full Version : Pet Shop Kitties

Amber
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
OH's sister in-law who I have to say really does get on my nerves phoned a little while ago to ask me if I could pick her up some Frontline spray from work, as she has just got a new kitten and has found a few fleas on him.

I started speaking to her about the kitten, what was he like, how old, where did she get him from etc. Her reply was he's 5 weeks old and I got him from a pet shop :evil: it makes my mind boggle and my blood boil it really does - I'm in the process of trying to find out which pet shop it is, as the she couldn't remember :roll: she went out to get some cat litter, and came back with a kitten!

dandysmom
03-08-2007, 09:50 PM
It boggles the mind! Five weeks! Poor little mite......

LucySiamese
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
The pet shop should lose theire liscence selling kittens that age, poor little thing! They should be reported!

It makes my blood boil.

Emm
04-08-2007, 08:15 AM
this makes me mad -exactly the reason why animals shouldn't be allowed for sale in pet shops - poor kitten. I honestly thought that it had been banned to sell cats and dogs in pet shops - but unfortunately it hasn't. I would try and find out which pet shop it is I'm sure the RSPCA would be interested to know ;)

sarah5
04-08-2007, 08:59 AM
OH MY GOODNESS I really didn't think pet shops were allowed to sell kittens any longer????? That really is terrible. Why on earth did she not just rescue one from a cat rescue centre grrrr

Jac
04-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Years ago I lost a pet shop loose it's licence for kittens. I went in in the hight of summer. There were three kittens no wate and riddled with flease. The SSPCA were right on the ball and there within about 30mins of me phoneing them.
I thought you had to have a special licence these days.

Amber
04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
To be totally honest, she doesn't really have a clue when it comes to animals. Her heart is in the right place and she means well but she's so thick with them it's unreal!

I thought the same as you guys with the license / not being allowed to sell them and we're probably right but I guess as with everything there are people who think they can bend the rules! She's taking me down to the pet shop today to show me, apparently there were 5 others there aswell :(

Jac
04-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Amber what are you going to do? If there in bad condition I would phone the R.S.P.C.A. It may be worth giving them a call before you go so they can be ready for you.
One question. How can she buy a ktten and not know where the shop was? Or am I missing something:oops:

Amber
04-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Amber what are you going to do? If there in bad condition I would phone the R.S.P.C.A. It may be worth giving them a call before you go so they can be ready for you.
One question. How can she buy a ktten and not know where the shop was? Or am I missing something:oops:

The RSPCA was my first thought of action :) do you think it might help to phone them first?
She knows where the pet shop is but can't remember the name and never got a receipt :roll:

Jane
04-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Eugh I hate petshops selling puppies and kittens! Okay so I hate them selling ANY animals but puppies and kittens are even worst. :( I think they need a special liscene to sell them now? My local pet shop occasionally has them in which REALLY annoys me, loads of little kids poking their fingers in to the tiny, terrified kittens cage...needless to say we don't shop there unless we NEED to.

Jac
04-08-2007, 12:56 PM
The RSPCA was my first thought of action :) do you think it might help to phone them first?
She knows where the pet shop is but can't remember the name and never got a receipt :roll:
Even stranger the no recipt thing. Id give them a call first. that way they will be expecting you.
Sounds like the pet shops a bit dodgey

MrsH
04-08-2007, 01:56 PM
How sad for those kitties, being sold at such a young age. Obviously, like everyone else, I'm wholeheartedly against kittens being sold in pet-shops, but I understood that in order to do so, the shop had to have a local authority licence (or am I mistaken?) Surely there's some clause in the licence about kittens being sold below a certain age?

LucySiamese
04-08-2007, 02:18 PM
I thought kittens had to be 8 weeks to be sold in a pet shop? I would phone the local council, im sure they would revoke theire liscence!
There is a pet shop down the road from me that sells kittens, i wont go in there, there fish tanks are over stocked and there are hamsters in cages all stacked up in there, and they breed rabbits there and the babies are out on show as young as 5 weeks! with a sign on the cage, do not touch! :mad: How do they get away with it?? :evil:

Jac
04-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I be inclined to report them Lucy. That's what I did and it worked.

Emm
04-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I thought kittens had to be 8 weeks to be sold in a pet shop? I would phone the local council, im sure they would revoke theire liscence!
There is a pet shop down the road from me that sells kittens, i wont go in there, there fish tanks are over stocked and there are hamsters in cages all stacked up in there, and they breed rabbits there and the babies are out on show as young as 5 weeks! with a sign on the cage, do not touch! :mad: How do they get away with it?? :evil:

you must report them - they will get away with it if no-one reports them. The law has changed and they are coming down hard on those who sell animals and do not treat them well. I read about it in my trade mags - the pet shop owners that sell the animals hate the new rules!

Jac
04-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I'd just like to point out that, that goes for fish too.

LucySiamese
04-08-2007, 05:13 PM
They have been reported before, and they have since moved to a bigger shop next door! i havent been in theire since, they sell cheap out or date food too!

Jac
04-08-2007, 05:46 PM
report them!

Amber
04-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Well I took a trip down to the pet shop with her - if you can call it a pet shop :? they seemed to be selling all kinds of bits and pieces, not just pet stuff but anyhow that's irrelevant.

I phoned the RSPCA just to inform them that I had heard of a pet shop selling kittens at 5 weeks of age and they seemed very interested. I told them I didn't have all of the info at the moment but I would do by the afternoon so would give them a call back.

I don't know if they'd had a tip-off from somewhere, because I couldn't find any evidence of kittens being sold at that place :? but he was selling rats and hamsters which to me seemed very overcrowded and quite dirty. I asked the guy whether he had any kittens for sale - pretending to be a totally dippy woman looking for a cute little kitten but he said that he hadn't had any for a good year or so.

I called the RSPCA back anyway due to the rats and hamster situation and they said they would investigate further - it's really frustrating :(

Jac
04-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Me smells a rat. so he hasn't had kittens for a year but your SI got one yesterday:roll: . Sounds like he's had a tip off.
I'm sorry they werent there when you went. You must have felt a bit let down.
I'd be inclined to pop in every now and again. Just to check. Each time reporting him if things aren't right. Good luck.

Emm
04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
They have been reported before, and they have since moved to a bigger shop next door! i havent been in theire since, they sell cheap out or date food too!

well I would report them again if there were any signs of animal cruelty and also inform Trading Standards about the out of date food!

Emm
04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Well I took a trip down to the pet shop with her - if you can call it a pet shop :? they seemed to be selling all kinds of bits and pieces, not just pet stuff but anyhow that's irrelevant.

I phoned the RSPCA just to inform them that I had heard of a pet shop selling kittens at 5 weeks of age and they seemed very interested. I told them I didn't have all of the info at the moment but I would do by the afternoon so would give them a call back.

I don't know if they'd had a tip-off from somewhere, because I couldn't find any evidence of kittens being sold at that place :? but he was selling rats and hamsters which to me seemed very overcrowded and quite dirty. I asked the guy whether he had any kittens for sale - pretending to be a totally dippy woman looking for a cute little kitten but he said that he hadn't had any for a good year or so.

I called the RSPCA back anyway due to the rats and hamster situation and they said they would investigate further - it's really frustrating :(

sounds really dodgy - the RSPCA will look into it from now though - you did the best thing - poor kittens what a horrible start to life.

Amber
04-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks Emm, I feel a bit better for reporting them - I just hope the RSPCA do the right thing about them! I can't help but wonder where those poor babies are now though :cry:

Emm
05-08-2007, 08:52 AM
the RSPCA will do the right thing here - I'm not normally a fan of them but when it comes to this they do a good job. The guy has probably sold all the other kittens - unfortubnately it was probably impulse buys for most folks - hopefully they will keep him.

I got my Lao Tzu from a pet shop - he was only 4 weeks old and riddled with fleas - so the guy took £5 off the price for him. It was a total impulse buy - but 10 years later he is still with me. He has cost an absolute fortune with vets though because he had so many health problems as a young cat - he is now incredibly healthy. I know I shouldn't havve bought him - but I couldn't leave him there either.

I used to know some-one who worked for a large chain of Pet shops - you know the one ;) - and they said the animals were treated appallingly they eventually left because of it - real horror stories. I wish I could afford to open my own pet shop - that doesn't sell animals - maybe one day.......