PDA

View Full Version : I wormed Onyx

dandysmom
03-08-2007, 04:25 PM
yesterday. I don't know if she has them, but I've become a bit concerned that she's so skinny, even with two good meals a day for almost 9 months now. She eats ravenously but doesn't put on any weight. Otherwise she seems healthy: nice shiny coat and bright eyes, and her ears are clean. I know she doesn't have fleas as I've flea-combed her with no signs. Maybe she's just genetically programmed to be a thin cat...??
Anyhow, I got some liquid liver-flavored wormer and added it to a tin of Liver and Chicken, which she inhaled as usual. Have to do it again in 10 days.
Have any of you ever wormed your cat/s, and if so, when can you notice a difference in weight?

Erin
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I worm Jerry regularly Eileen and he eats 2 pouches a day plus his dry food that he munches on all day and hes still a thin cat,his mom and sister are thin too so Im not to worried

dandysmom
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Hmmm, maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily then, but she is really a thin cat: you can feel her backbone and ribs!! Well, I suppose it won't hurt her, but I do wish she'd put on a bit of weight.......

babycakes
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I worm denis every three months I put that spot on on the back of his neck. He has three sachets a day plus biscuits plus tit bits and he is slender and always has been. I wouldn't worry too much as she is still growing and active.

dinahsmum
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
I think it's a good idea to worm Onyx anyway. Bet she hunted for her meals before she met you and may well have ingested worm eggs.
But she may be meant to be a skinny bit!

Fran
03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
My Lucky was always a very skinny girl - for 18 years, she was never any different. I think cats are much like humans in that some are prone to put on weight more easily. Plus she'll keep thinner due to more exercise living outdoors and in winter burning off excess fat to keep warm. I think you are used to seeing more rotund cats Eileen, so Onxy as a possibly, naturally slim cat strikes you as odd ;)

I do think it's a good idea to worm her regularly though if you are able. A sign of worms is often a slimmish body with a rather swollen, firm belly.....

Donna
03-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I buy the worming "treats" which Misty gulps down, but Chloe didnt eat her last lot... what other methods other than eating is there to worm a cat? I have tried the granules on food too but Chloe wont eat those either...

Fran
03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Donna, there is a spot on wormer, that you use like the spot on flea drops. Is it called Profender or have I dreamt that up? I'll do a google..

Fran
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Here you go Donna....

http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/Profender_R.1462.0.html

I think it's only available from a vet or online if you have a vet prescription.

Mags
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I worm Cassie every 3 months as she ia an outdoor cat. I use Panacur palatable Favourites, which she will eat from my hand ......they smell beefy like Oxo cubes...

Erin
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
I worm Cassie every 3 months as she ia an outdoor cat. I use Panacur palatable Favourites, which she will eat from my hand ......they smell beefy like Oxo cubes...

Oh I use these too mags for Jerry (Ithink you reccommended them) he loves them,long gone are the days of fighting with him to get him to take a tablet :lol:

dandysmom
03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
My Lucky was always a very skinny girl - for 18 years, she was never any different. I think cats are much like humans in that some are prone to put on weight more easily. Plus she'll keep thinner due to more exercise living outdoors and in winter burning off excess fat to keep warm. I think you are used to seeing more rotund cats Eileen, so Onxy as a possibly, naturally slim cat strikes you as odd ;)

I do think it's a good idea to worm her regularly though if you are able. A sign of worms is often a slimmish body with a rather swollen, firm belly.....

[quote=Donna;408448]I buy the worming "treats" which Misty gulps down, but Chloe didnt eat her last lot... what other methods other than eating is there to worm a cat? I have tried the granules on food too but Chloe wont eat those either

Fran: you may be spot on there, all the cats I've ever lived with
have been a bit on the portly side.... and Onyx doesn't have a swollen belly.....
Donna: I found a liquid wormer that's liver flavored that you just add to the food! It's 1/2 tsp. per five pounds of body weight!! It's called Premium Liquid Wormer, made by St. Aubrey's Veterinary Labs, I hope they have something similar there, or I'd be glad to mail the unused portion of this for you to try if you'd like,,,,,

Kazz
03-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Excellent idea to worm her though Eileen, it cannot hurt and the chances are she may have a worm or two although as others have said she could be naturally svelte. Oscar always looked like he needed a good meal - but he didn't.

You'll have her "in the house sooner rather than later" the way you're going.
Karen

dandysmom
03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe she is just a naturally skinny cat! Carolyn's Kate always looked undernourished, and her brother Nimrod weighted 16 pounds! Kate is a very hyper cat,very active...and just burned off the calories, I guess. I'll try to get a "skinny" pic of Onyx so you all can weigh in if you think she's really too thin......(whoops, didn't intend that pun..)

dandysmom
03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
I worm denis every three months I put that spot on on the back of his neck. He has three sachets a day plus biscuits plus tit bits and he is slender and always has been. I wouldn't worry too much as she is still growing and active.

She's an adult cat of unknown age. She appeared in the neighborhood in the Autumn of 05; my friend was feeding her (she'd rescued and rehomed two strays before); when Carolyn moved I took over the feeding. We estimated she was maybe 3 to 5 years old at the time, so she's about 5 -7 now, but that's really just a guess.