PDA

View Full Version : RIP Furry Legs and the chickies :(

Jane
31-07-2007, 03:57 PM
RIP Furry Legs and the chickies :(

Don't know if any of you can remember but we recently (a few weeks ago) had four chicks hatch. Well, when they hatched all seemed fine - one had bent toes but got around fine and they were starting to go normal after a few days. At about a week old, we noticed that two of them, their legs weren't right. We think they had 'straddle legs', which is where the legs kind of point out to the side and they can't walk properly. They were getting around okay and could still walk a little so we left them to it. Then one of the others started with similar syptoms, and then the fourth chick did too. They all had to be put down on Friday night :( Maybe this was our fault - we don't know, but we think it was genetic. We did everything exactly the same with these chicks as we have done with the past ones. The eggs were from someone on our allotments - it was supposedly one of our cockrals (from a previous hatching) and his hens, he said there was no way they could be inbred or something. Whatever happened it wasn't fair to keep them here. We've decided we're not going to hatch anymore...dad has also decided we're not getting anymore chickens :( RIP chickies xx You didn't even have names because we knew something wrong. If this was our fault we're so sorry, this wasn't meant to happen. I wish we could have saved you...so sorry darlings :(

This morning dad found Furry Legs dead too :'( If you don't remember her, she was one of our marans - we had two maran hens - Big 'un and Furry Legs, remember? We have no idea what was wrong with her, she was fine last night!! I can remember every evening when I was giving them fresh water she would jump on my back when I bent over...she always loved to be stroked and just be around you...she was so nosy, following you everywhere and waiting at the gate for you when you left. Oh, incase anyone is wondering she was called Furry Legs because she had feathers on her legs. I know you shouldn't have favourites but I must admit she was everyones favourite...we hatched 7 chicks - 5 were cockrals, 2 were hens - she was one of the hens....she was so unique because of her feathers on her legs she stood out so much. Furry Legs - we had no idea something was wrong - was something wrong?? I don't know, you were fine last night, you seemed so happy and normal. I hope you weren't in pain when you went...I hope it was quick and you weren't suffering :'(

RIP xx Hope you're all playing together at the bridge, I know Furry Legs will try to mother you, she was always so loving. :-*

dinahsmum
31-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Aw. Sorry for your loss Jane. Just because they're 'only chickens' doesn't mean you're not sad to lose them

Erin
31-07-2007, 04:17 PM
aw Jan I sorry :( RIP xxx

dandysmom
31-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I am so sorry to hear that! They may have been "only chickens", but I know you loved them: I certainly loved my pet chicken when I was a child....play on the Bridge, Furry Legs!

Jane
31-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys :( Still can't believe we lost Furry Legs :'(

I was doubtful about posting (have posted on most forums I visit regularly) incase people said "they're only chickens, it doesn't matter" but I thought well, everyone here (or atleast I hope) are animal lovers and you would understand, and it seems you do. Thanks :)

Mags
31-07-2007, 05:35 PM
So sorry you lost your chickens, Jane ....:(

Moli
31-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Sorry to read this Jane....:(

Moli
31-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry to read this Jane....

Fran
31-07-2007, 05:42 PM
How very sad, RIP little ones :(

Donna
31-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear you lost your pets :-(

random
31-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Oh dear what a sad day for you, i'm so sorry for your losses. :(

alexgirl73
31-07-2007, 08:37 PM
so sorry to hear this Jane

RIP little chickies and furry legs xx

Jane
31-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone :( Gah I'm still finding it so hard. :cry: Just can't believe she's gone! She was fine last night, was sat on my shoulder whilst I checked for eggs and did their food and water *sigh*...she liked to poop in my hair, was so funny when she did that - okay so it was a little annoying at the time, but would do anything to have her back and she can poop in my hair all she likes just aslong as she's here :( :( :cry:

Emm
01-08-2007, 08:53 AM
awwh Jane I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You did nothing wrong these things just happen. I'm sure it was really fast and that Furry Legs was in no pain.

And they are most definately not "just chickens" a life is a life no matter what form it takes - it is all precious and those chickens were so lucky to have some-one like you take care of them and love them and then mourn after them when they have passed on. Many unfortunately never get that same respect (((hugs)))) xxx

ps I have cried and mourned the loss of mice and insects - sssh don't tell any-one!