PDA

View Full Version : Neutering at WHAT WEIGHT?

Ronners
28-07-2007, 02:58 AM
I got Keroberosu back in January, from 'The Humane Society.' This is an animal rescue place where I am living right now. I've only ever heard well from them, however, he was only one month old and weighed less than even half a KG when I got him....and had been neutered at 3 weeks of age. Only god knows WHAT he weighed.

As far as I know, and have heard, the legal limit for neutering a cat is 2kg in weight, and from other sources I've heard 6 months in age.

Kero got extremely ill after I got him, an upper respiratory infection, doubles cases of conjunctivitus, and anorexia.

He was hospitalised for a long time after this for treatment and put on around 7-8 medications to help. He was constantly going back in and out for rehydration as well, because he stopped drinking, and was unable to go to the washroom. (Urinating, and defecating)

How is this legal, if what I'm pointing out. how could a place called "The Humane Society" do this to an animal? It just seems very wrong to me. Am I mistaking legalities here? Or is this actually a serious offence?

Ronners
28-07-2007, 02:59 AM
PS: If this the correct are to post?

As well, what are YOUR thoughts on when a male cat should be neutered?

Ronners
28-07-2007, 03:04 AM
Oh my, I've seen a similar post to this already up, should this be removed? >.< Sorry.

alexgirl73
28-07-2007, 10:11 AM
This is a debate which everyone seems to have a differing viewpoint on lol, but I would most definitely agree with you that 3 weeks isfar too young to be neutered, adn I'm horrified that a vet would actually do this. i foster for the Cats Protection League here in the uk and my branch now neuters at 12 weeks, which I personally think is fine, but others also think is too young. It is a very emotive subject but I dont think anyone on here will agree with 3 weeks.

mable1718
28-07-2007, 10:43 AM
no alex i would not agree with 3 weeks i think 12 weeks is a good age

Luke
28-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Not a fan of this early neutering AT ALL. For me the six to eight months mark is what I see more suitable. I dislike the idea of putting such a young animal through surgery, and i dislike the prospect of an unmatured animal facing the possibility of 'stunted' maturity in a sense, and yes I have known a few people who have had their cats 'done' at an EARLY age [2-4months] and their behaviour has never really changed from this age, i've also heard of cats neutered at an early age suffering from urinary problems in later life.
So early neutering, not for me. Although plenty will disagree.

Emm
28-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I hate the idea of early neutering - I get all mine cats and dogs done on their 6 month birthday HOWEVER I understand why rescues neuter them so early - there are far too many people out there not neutering them and then allowing them to mate - I know accidents will happen but what are rescues supposed to do? Too many animals are having to be killed each year because they are unwanted - maybe this will help to cut back the number of unwanted pets? I don't know though.

Although 3 weeks seems ridiculously too young!

Mags
28-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I think 3 weeks is definitely far too young to neuter a kitten....... and it makes me wonder how safe it is for this procedure to be carried out on such a tiny kitten..:?
Cassie was spayed at 6 months........ I would say between 4 and 6 months was the best time ........anything later than 6 months, to me, will be irresponsible and most likely result in more kittens...:(

random
28-07-2007, 12:24 PM
3 weeks is TOTALLY ridiculous....

They can barely even walk on their own fs...

dinahsmum
28-07-2007, 03:02 PM
3 weeks!
Poor little speck.

5/6/months sounds good but I entirely understand rescues not wanting to send kittens out unneutered. Difficult, isn't it?

Ronners
28-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I was disgusted when I had heard they neutered him that young. If I would have been given the option to just take him back in at a better weight and age, I would have had no problem, however by the time I had adopted him he was already neutered. :? I just can't see how this is legal or humane for them to have done! I'm just at a complete loss of what to think/do about this one...*sighs*

tilly
28-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Personally I wouild report them for neutering at 3 weeks, as that is far to young. But I do see some merit in neutering at about a bit early (although my cats will always be done at the 5-6month mark) but 3 week is ridiculous.
Hope he is OK now.

MrsH
28-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm horrified that they could be done as early as 3 weeks, but also in awe of the skill of the vets to manage to do the op on such a tiny patient. We had our cats done at just over 5 months, the vet wanted us to wait until after 6 months but Jason was getting much too interested in his sister :oops:, forever pestering her and she was becoming distressed.

Molly's op was not straightforward because she was still so small, said the vet, and he had to abandon the neat little incision he'd done on her flank and open her down the front. This meant that the poor thing had 2 scars to heal and the one down her front was quite a major one. Not very skillful of the vet was it?

Elaine
28-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I used to be against the early spay and neutering but due to the amount of stray and unwanted animals around the globe I can see the reasons behind it. Its a situation that has spiralled out of control and many people cannot be trusted to be responsible enough to go and have their animals spayed and neutered at a reasonable age or even to keep their animals indoors and protected until they reach a reasonable age for being spayed/neutered.
That said I agree that 3 weeks is way too early. I have googled many humane society sites which state the earliest they spay and neuter is from 8 to 16 weeks of age and the link I am about to post states from as young as 6 weeks of age.
http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pa_care_issues_spay_neuter#whe n

Ronners
29-07-2007, 05:36 AM
I am totally for getting animals spayed or neutered as well, however, if I were to report them how would I go about doing this? Who would I report them to, if they are the place one would normally report such an act to?

Elaine
29-07-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.ottawahumane.ca/neuter.html
There is a number you can call to discuss the best age and weight to spay/neuter on the above link. Maybe you could call them and have a little chat and take it from there.

sarah5
30-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Aww poor thing that is terribly young. I got my kitten from the RSPCA last week, he is about 16 weeks so too young for neutering.. to be honest I didn't think they would neuter until they were about 6 months. RSPCA will pay for him to be done next month when he is old enough.

Jess751
30-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Id have to agree with Luke. I personally dont like fixing my animals before they are a year old. This way I know they are fully grown and matured and everything is in wokring order and doing fine before going under for surgery. I know that some people may feel that its too late and other behaviors can occur in this time, but after all the research and talking to vets that I have done on this matter I prefer to wait.

Elaine
30-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I think its all fine and well talking about what we would do and at what age as we are all part of a cat loving/understanding forum. I too like my own animals to be of a more mature age before nuetering/spaying.
But we are talking about rescues etc who see day in/day out the problems of over population and are to all intents and purposes trying to find some resolve for the situation.

Fran
30-07-2007, 07:20 PM
3 weeks is far too young imo. I wonder how many of these tiny babies don't survive the anaesthetic? :(

Elaine
30-07-2007, 07:27 PM
3 weeks is far too young imo. I wonder how many of these tiny babies don't survive the anaesthetic? :(

I agree that 3 weeks is MUCH to early, most humane societies neuter/spay at 8 to 16 weeks. At 3 weeks they have little imunity to infection etc and their organs are still weak too.

Animagus
31-07-2007, 12:46 AM
3 weeks.... horrendous...... mines got done between 4 and six months

Ronners
31-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I agree that 3 weeks is MUCH to early, most humane societies neuter/spay at 8 to 16 weeks. At 3 weeks they have little imunity to infection etc and their organs are still weak too.

Precisely! He was ill for so long, not that I am complaining about taking care of him, he is my joy, however, he shouldn't have had to be ill for so long. This could have been prevented. I wonder how many other poor animals suffer this fate - or worse.:evil:

Elaine
31-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Have you had any luck with phoning and making any enquiries at all?