PDA

View Full Version : Good treats? any recipes?

Jane
26-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Anyone recommend any good treats? Patch has had loads but hardly any really seem to interest him - making some for him ourselves would be fun to if anyone has any recipes.

Thankies
Jane

Emm
27-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Thrive cat treats are freeze dried pieces of meat and my cats go NUTS over them. Also Ziwi Peak - I was sent a sample once and my cats went totally crazy for them - they are made in New Zealand.

dinahsmum
27-07-2007, 02:23 PM
These are dog recipes but the cats love it too.
I have posted before and someone has commented that cats shouldn't eat too much liver. I dunno how much is too much, but you only feed a little bit at a time.
I think I've also seen that garlic isn't reckoned to be so good but again, they don't have very much at one sitting.

I cool it, cut it, put a small amount in a screw top jar and store in the fridge for say 3 days, the rest I freeze in a jar or thick plastic bag. The dogs like it whilst still frozen but not the cats.
It does not keep very well, having rich ingredients and no preservatives. However, one baking will last ages if you cut into cat mouth-size bits and freeze as I said.

Liver Cake

8oz lamb's liver
4oz self-raising flour
2 eggs
2 cloves garlic OR minced garlic

Blend all ingredients until smooth-ish
Spread into a swiss roll-type tin (lined with baking parchment)
Cook 30-40mins @ 180
Cool & cut into pieces
Freezes well.

Cooking times vary - test after 30 mins.
No need to be absolutely precise re ingredients.

Sardine Cake

4 eggs
2 cloves garlic, crushed OR minced garlic
2 tins sardines in oil, springwater, or tomato sauce OR a large tin of tuna
6 tablespoons plain flour

Mix all together (do not drain fish) until it resembles a cake mix.
Spread into tin as above.
Bake @ 180 for 35 mins.
Cool & cut into pieces.
Freezes well.

Cooking times vary - test after 30 mins.
Again, no need to be precise with ingredients - the dogs will not complain

Edited to add: Liver cake smells very appetizing when it is cooking, unless you hate the smell of garlic. The yucky bit is the blending of the ingredients

Mags
27-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Sounds appetizing DM but I thought cats couldn't eat garlic :?.....please correct me if I'm wrong...;)

dinahsmum
27-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Sounds appetizing DM but I thought cats couldn't eat garlic :?.....please correct me if I'm wrong...;)
Mmmm., I mentioned that in the preamble Mags.
However, my cats have eaten and enjoyed the recipes above and Mini - who was a total omnivore, the more exotic the better - loved all kinds of tasty people food, like curry, chilli, stir fries, all of which I always put tons of garlic in.
So - I dunno :smt102

dinahsmum
27-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Well I've been off doing a bit of research and am now totally nonplussed. Of course if you do a search on garlic cats you find the vererinary herbalists supplying garlic tabs, garlic and fenugreek etc etc . Don't think they'd do that if it was going to poison Fluffy! :? However, search on cat garlic and poison and you hear all sorts of warnings that Fluff will turn her toes up if she just as much as sniffs the fragrant bulb! :roll:
Can only speak as I find ........ mine love it and are well.

MrsH
27-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Agree with Emm, my cats also go crazy for Thrive, it's very useful for making sure they are in at night, a quick rattle of the tube and they come running (much more effective than just calling them ;))

They prefer the fish ones and don't like the prawns at all, Jason loves the chicken and Molly turns her nose up at it! we make sure we keep a variety in the cupboard!