PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering at cats protection league

Whiley
26-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm very new to cats, but there are signs i tell you!

I've been watching more and more 'Animal Planet' shows on tv, been reading up here, focusing on cats in my crafts, and now my sister in law just got a new kitten, and i couldnt stop playing with it for the entirety of my visit there.

I'm so broody for a kitten. :( I know my OH really would love one too, but not until Shelby has gone [what with Shelby not being our responsibility and living outside because John doesnt care for her effeciently, not litter trained, not groomed, etc, the moment she steps in the house the place is a state, John doesnt seem to make the connection. Its a sad situation although we've tried.]

So to remedy my broodiness, i'd like to volunteer at the local Cats Protection. I know theres lots of different areas i could volunteer with, anything for the branch magazine, homechecking, the shop, the phones, to hands on with the cats themselves!

I dont drive unfortunately, so would have to get there and back on the bus unless someone else was passing.

has anyone ever volunteered with them before? What was your experience like?

Fran
26-07-2007, 11:37 AM
One day you will have your own kitty Whiley ;)

There are a few members on here that helvolunteer with the CPL, Smudgley fosters for them but she's on her holidays right now but may be able to offer you some advice when she returns. Yola, I think does some advertising/pr work for them and Alex has also recently got involved with the fostering side of things too. I think there's loads and loads of roles within the CPL, so I'm sure there will be something that you would be able to help out with. Good luck and do let us know how you get on. Have you contacted your local branch at all yet?

alexgirl73
26-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Whiley! the best thing to do would be to contact your branch and find out what help they need, or if you have a CPL charity shop near by then pop in and see them. Sometimes you have to persevere as you don't always connect with the right person straight away lol. Good luck with it.

Whiley
26-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I havent called yet, but i will do as tomorrow i will know exactly how much free time i can dedicate to them.

I'm so keen, and i'd love a kitten so badly, i know its unhealthy!!
I've even cracked out my old Catz PC game. :D

Thank you for your help lovelies!

Emm
26-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I think its down to luck whether you have a friendly branch in your area or not. I would love to volunteer but its difficult to deal with some of the people who are involved in the CPL - obviously not all are like that - and you don't know until you try :)

yola
26-07-2007, 02:36 PM
If you're not a driver the best one is either fostering (but you need a spare room or garden space for a pen/s) or phone duty. We consistently have a problem with duty officers for the phone as the little old ladies that currently do it (however well meaning), get all the message muddled or just dont' pass them on. I have a sneaky it's the same for most branches :roll:

I do PR/advertising for the Reading branch (when I have the luxury of time), but that's because it's what I do for a living so just an extension of currently activity!

Do give your local branch a call and see what the need . . . good luck :D

Whiley
26-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Ooh phones i'm sure i can do!
Fostering pens? How does that work? Tell me how :D

I love learning.