PDA

View Full Version : Meowing

Jane
23-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Do anyone elses kitties like to meow (scream!!!) their little hearts are at 5am until someone gets up?? Patch is sending us crazy lol, this morning he was meowing sooo loud and wouldn't shut up until dad got up. This happens every morning too! :?

Any ideas why he does this?? Apart from he's a crazy kitty, we realise that :lol: :lol: Any idea hows we can make him shut up? lol

Jane

Tom
23-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Hmmm not sure!? Usually I would say don't get up and leave him to cry, it seems nasty but by getting up you are giving him what he wants and will make him do it more often in a plea to get what he wants. But then I understand it's loud and might make the neighbors a wee peed off! Sorry I'm not of much help lol!!

Tom :D

Jane
23-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Yep generally we do leave him to it (he's not allowed in my room anyway cos of the piggies and hammies) but when he's been meowing soooo loud for the past 30 minutes you get vveeery annoyed and have to get up unless you want to go insane :P

Jane

edit: oh and it doesn't matter if the neighbours get peed off with us, they get peed off with us about everything (like when we had some of the HENS on the garden they supposedly woke her kid up in the morninng....errr, no!)

Tom
23-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Yep generally we do leave him to it (he's not allowed in my room anyway cos of the piggies and hammies) but when he's been meowing soooo loud for the past 30 minutes you get vveeery annoyed and have to get up unless you want to go insane :P

Jane

Hehe!! I can imagine!

dinahsmum
23-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Patch is training you very well to do what he wants :) (get up and play/get up and feed?)
The only thing is to ignore. Easier said than done, but it should only take a handful of days for you to train him, instead of the other way round.
(I think all kittens do this - my two certainly did. You just have to close your ears, maybe even hide under the bedclothes if they resort to finding you and doing the sniffy/purry thing round your face:) )

Jane
23-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Will tell dad to ignore him then - it's mainly dad that gets annoyed with him (and threatens to kill him :lol: he wouldn't do anything to him really, dad just doesn't like being woken up :P). He only started doing it in the last few months...he's probably about a year old now :P

charliebubs
23-07-2007, 12:43 PM
It's because cats are crepuscular creatures (i.e. they are most active at dawn and at dusk). They wake up at about 4.30/5am and think that the day has begun and want to play etc :roll: If they were in the wild, that is when they would hunt for their breakfast.

I agree with the others, that the best thing to do is to ignore him and hopefully that will stop the behaviour and teach him that he has to work to your clocks and not his own!!!! lol

Best of luck :)

Mags
23-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Has he got a litter tray? Do you think he is asking to go out?:?

Jane
23-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys

Has he got a litter tray? Do you think he is asking to go out?:?

Yep he does have a litter tray, he only uses it at night and goes outside the rest of the time. Usually it seems to be because he wants food (even though he always has dry food)...I guess he's learnt if kitty meows kitty gets :roll:

dandysmom
23-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys

Yep he does have a litter tray, he only uses it at night and goes outside the rest of the time. Usually it seems to be because he wants food (even though he always has dry food) ..I guess he's learnt if kitty meows kitty gets :roll:
You've summed it up right there.....he's trained you! Every time you get up it reinforces the habit. Hard as it is, just ignore him, and it will eventually stop........

Jane
23-07-2007, 06:15 PM
You've summed it up right there.....he's trained you! Every time you get up it reinforces the habit. Hard as it is, just ignore him, and it will eventually stop........

Have explained to my parents and brother that they just need to ignore him when he starts...I'm lucky because my bedroom door is always shut and I hardly ever hear him :lol: Hopefully he'll stop being a lil devil soon.

Thankies

Elaine
23-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Is Patch still an entire Tom? If so then the neutering may also help with this also as it may take away his primevil instincs to hunt at dawn and dusk.
That said my Diva has a very distinct meow when she wants me to let her out and she knows exactly which note to hit, you know the one that makes you get and give in:lol: She doesnt do this at dawn and dusk though, normally its as soon as I have fed her at tea time.

andrew021
26-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Jet is the same in the mornings, I found that by closing the blinds in her bedroom, yes, her bedroom (we have one each), she would sleep that little bit longer thinking its still dark outside. As soon as my alarm goes off in the morning she sits in the landing or else she will jump all over me. If she is still unsuccessful she will sit downstairs crying until I get up.
I have tried to ignore her but it gets that annoying I have to get up to let her out. As soon as she gets out she is crying looking back in again to get fed, wee minx.

random
26-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a dog that does the same. :roll:

RRR
26-07-2007, 04:26 PM
It's because cats are crepuscular creatures (i.e. they are most active at dawn and at dusk). They wake up at about 4.30/5am and think that the day has begun and want to play etc :roll: If they were in the wild, that is when they would hunt for their breakfast.

I agree with the others, that the best thing to do is to ignore him and hopefully that will stop the behaviour and teach him that he has to work to your clocks and not his own!!!! lol

Best of luck :)

That explains why my two go mad before the alarm clock has even gone off! They tear in and out of the bedroom playing and making such a racket.

I tried shutting them out of the bedroom one night but they learnt how to open the door so the second night I put the washing basket in front of it and they weren't able to open it - I was awoken at the early hours with the pathetic crying outside the door to let them in! And we love them why? :lol: :D

babycakes
27-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Denis is funny cos if we don't get up in time he gets under the covers and bites our feet it does make you give in and do what he wants tho