PDA

View Full Version : Kittens eating adult food and vice versa!

JBalways2000
21-07-2007, 07:12 PM
i have a problem:? the kittens are still being locked in the bathroom at night so have their food dishes in there. however they are being able to come out most of day now as the boys are slowly getting used to them(there has been no hissing/growling at all today:D )

problem is that the kittens have taken a liking to AJ and Ravens food! AJ and Raven are on burns chicken and brown rice adult food while the kittens are on whiskas junior(with a plan of changing them over to burns kitten food) the thing is that the first thing hernandez does when we let him out of the bathroom is charge down the stairs straight to the boys food! hes even managed to steal some of their wet food a couple of times before we have got to him. Rhino isnt as bad but then Hernandez is such a greedy little thing:lol:

just wondering how bad it is for kittens to be eating adult food? they definately seem to enjoy it more then their own food(though they never get the chance to eat more then a couple of bits before we grab them away!) but obviously we will have to look into finding somewhere else to put the boys dishes if it is really bad. just think this is going to be a tricky one once they are together properly!

anyone know if it would be really bad to wean the kittens on to the adult food so early on in life? Hernandez is about 10 weeks old and Rhino is about 8 weeks old now.

dandysmom
21-07-2007, 08:08 PM
We had a thread on this just recently; I'll see if I can find it and post the link. My Dandy insisted on eating the two adults food when I got him, and he thrived on it...
˙Here you go: http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22335

Fran
21-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Wouldn't worry me in the slightest! The litter of kittens I have here at the minute are pinching the adult food. Don't worry about it, as long as they are healthy, growing and happy, all is well :cool:

JBalways2000
21-07-2007, 08:27 PM
thankyou for the link-just had a read through and it seems there are mixed views on this.

i did forget to mention that little Rhino has had the runs so all i have given him to eat today is tiny bits of chicken breats a few times-i dont think it has anything to do with stealing the adults food though as like i said he has barely been at it(maybe stole one or two bits a couple of times) so im wondering if i could be the kitten food? i saw someone mention that the kitten food might be too rich for some of them.

really not sure what to do about feeding though as down stairs is open plan so no where safe to put the food and we often shut the cats out of our bedroom at night so cant leave it in there. plus once the kittens can have free run of the house there wouldnt be anywhere they couldnt get to that AJ and Raven could anyway. should really have thought about this sooner!:oops: im in quite the pickle now!

anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

i wonder if they could perhaps go straight onto adult kibble and have some wet kitten food seperately so that they are still getting what they need from the wet food but no chance of them all stealing each others?

mable1718
22-07-2007, 09:28 AM
dont worry about it

Mags
22-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Kitten food was far too rich for Cassie when she was a kitten...... the vet advised me to put her on an adult food or one of the cheaper brands as they are not so rich...

It's only natural that you worry over your babies, we all do it, but they will be perfectly alright on adult food.;)

Ronners
28-07-2007, 03:08 AM
I don't see much of a problem with a kitten eating adult cat food now and then, so long as they get adequate nutrition. However, on the other side, I believe adult cats should not be eating kitten food unless you don't mind them gaining some weight. Kitten food is much more rich than adult food.

dandysmom
28-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Once the two adults finished the supply of kitten food I'd gotten for Dandy (the kitten who refused to eat it) everyone ate adult wet food. So they really didn't get a change to put on weight.