PDA

View Full Version : this is not really a question for me...

Tink
19-07-2007, 11:52 AM
...but something i've heard opposing views on and i think it may be interesting to hear different sides. i know my answer but will hold it to the end;)

kitten nutrition:

one link i've read says to watch overfeeding kittens as obesity is unhealthy for kittens and can be likely..and some will eat canned food forever if you'd let them:lol:

another link i've read says feed kittens as much as they would like to eat. they are growing and are unlikely to overeat at this stage in their life. there's no need to watch portions or measure them out.:cool:

your thoughts???

Mags
19-07-2007, 12:02 PM
When Cassie was 3 -4 months old she was having 4 'wet' meals a day.

A kittens tum is very small so they are only able to eat very small amounts at a time. By feeding them small meals throughout the day, you are not bloating them.
As the kitten gets older you can reduce the feeds to 3 a day......then at 6 months they can go on 2 meals a day...

http://www.purina.co.uk/Home/All+About+Cats/Food+and+Nutrition+Cat/Choosing+the+Right+Food+Cat/Feeding+Your+Kitten.htm

Fran
19-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I feed all my cats/kittens the same way. They always have access to dried food to 'graze' on as they wish and I feed tinned food twice a day, more times a day to younger kittens. I personally don't agree that you should restrict food in kittens but that's just my personal opinion..

Emm
19-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I have food out all the time and allow the cats to eat when they need - I have always done this and they are able to decide how much and when. With 5 cats there is no way I could only feed at certain times because I know a couple of them would miss their meal times! :lol:

now if I did this to the dogs they would eat until they burst! :lol:

Erin
19-07-2007, 12:44 PM
same as Fran,my 2 babies have 3 wet meals a day although they arent really eating much of the 2nd meal at dinner time any more so will be fazing out that meal soon and they have dried food down all day.Jerry has 2 wet meals a day,one in the morning and one in the evening and again dried food is down for him all day

alexgirl73
19-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Yup! My kittens have dried food down at all times and 3 small wet meals a day! It's not as if they can let you know when they are hungry like human babies, so you have to make sure they can eat when they need to!

Jane
21-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Patch has dried food down at all times, and probably gets 2-3 wet meals a day (mixed with dried food).

Meow has dried food down at all times too but she never eats it, and get's 2 wet meals a day.

charliebubs
21-07-2007, 05:03 PM
My lot all have dried food down all day too and then get 2 wet meals a day on top of that. I like the way that I do it, as it works for my cats but I suppose that all are different!!

With kittens - they should have smaller meals, but more frequently.

Jac
21-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I feed my babies 3 wet meals a day with access to dry food all the time.
I did the same with my dog and have never had any problems. (with food)

Kazz
21-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Sorry I am no use I can't remember that far back :) but I;m sure they had small meals I will try to find my diary from ack then. Bear with me.

John
24-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I also have dried food down all day and two wet meals usualy whiskas pouches twice a day..when Millie had her kittens I fed as and when they were hungary

john >^..^<

Moli
24-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Mine have access to dry food all the time too, and get pouches for supper...

Ronners
28-07-2007, 02:47 AM
For Kero, he is 7 months old now, I give him one wet meal in the morning (Half a can) and half a can in the evening, as well as a full bowl of dry food out at all times for when he wants it. My vet said this is perfect for his nutritional needs.

dandysmom
28-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Mine (adults) get two tins a day of wet. I only use dry for snacks...I agree that kittens need small frequent meals; it's been so long since had a kitten, like Kazz, I can't really remember the feeding schedule.

mable1718
28-07-2007, 10:53 AM
ours have dry in the morning and dry on the evening

sillylilykitty
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Lily gets dry in the morning and at night. She has to "sit" and then "speak" for her food (some people think im crazy for doing that). When she was a kitten she got morning, noon and night. I personally think schedule feeding is best or at least only having a certain amount of food out a day. I know people who just fill the bowl whenever its empty, or always keep it full, their cats are too fat.

So I think kittens should be fed at least 3 times a day.

carrieszoo
08-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Once all my cats were old enough to eat dry I have always free fed them. I say once they were old enough because my oldest I've had since she was a day old.

My cats are big but not fat. None of them have ever been over 13lbs and they are all less than that now that I feed them better food.