PDA

View Full Version : Human superfoods for cats, help please

Whiley
19-07-2007, 05:42 AM
Just doing some research about the nutritional needs of cats, and hopig you folks could help me out!

Firstly, are there any big nonos with cats? Like citrus with rodents or chocolate with, well, anything...

Secondly, how are cats for taking treats? What sort of forms do they take as treats generally, small biscuit type things? Shelby doesnt take treats from me for some reason, and i didnt know if it was a cat thing or a Shelby thing.

Thirdly, are there any good things to add to the diet of elderly or poorly cats? Kidney support diets for instance?
Anything that should be avoided at early ages as kittens.

Lastly, are any of these ingredients nonos for cats? When i use them to make treats for other animals, i use them in their most purposeful form, retaining their properties to the best that i can.
So, should any be avoided or given in very very very tiny amounts out of these? Raw or cooked? No skins, etc. Generally not edible to cats, any they'd struggle over?

Blueberries
Fennel
Pumpkin Seeds
Brazil nuts
Pecans
Dried coconut
Beetroot
Cocoa Beans
Quinoa
celery
mung beans
Rice milk
cinnamon
cranberries
spinach
ginger
garlic
peanut butter
nutmeg
green tea
fresh banana
banana chips - unglazed
wheatgerm
cloves
cornmeal
light/low fat cream cheese

Also what is the general thoughts of using baking powder and cream of tartar, etc in baking for cats? Also molasses and yeast.

It sounds silly, but do cats crunch? Like dogs do? Obviously smaller animals knaw their way through food slowly getting at the harder areas of the biscuits. But i'm not so sure with cats.

Any way hope you can help!

Many thanks!

Mags
19-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Here are some human foods which are toxic to cats............

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm

dinahsmum
19-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Bad things? - I don't know of food no-no's but I do know several flowers/plants (including the stamens from lillies) and that aspirin is incredibly toxic. Don't suppose you'd think of using plants but there are threads on here if you do a search on poisonous plants.

My cats love treats and will perform little 'cat tricks' for them. Generally they are biscuit type or soft biscuit (like dryish fudge).

Third question? - Well, James Wellbeloved dry kibble has cranberry in it, for the usual urinary reason. Maybe it would be a good idea to look at their website for ingredient ideas. And Burns - I rate their holistic food/treats.
Not sure about kidney support - probably best left to the experts? I wouldn't have given my CRF girl anything manufactured.

Don't know about the bicarb/tartar thing - look at the formulation of others? Yeast? Well, they like it and its supposed to be good for coats etc. Kitzyme tabs etc.

Crunch - oh, yes please, but not too big.

One of my pair's favourites is a catnip flavoured/scented biscuit, shaped like a little crunchy pillow with a hollow middle. It sems to tick the boxes for them.

I hope Catey is a good information source for you .... we should charge a consultancy fee! :-D

Whiley
19-07-2007, 10:28 AM
A consultancy fee! Cheeky cheeky! How about rep points! I like this little star you see...

Your help is fabulous. I have a special treats recipe for small animals wiht kidney problems, i wander if its worth seeing if it sounds productive for cats and dogs.

Sounds like a venture!

Drying ish fudge, perfect! I think i have something spot on for cats then! :D

Mags
19-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Here are a few ideas for cat and dog treats....;)

http://www.careypetandhome.com/treats.html

dandysmom
19-07-2007, 04:20 PM
My Aby loved brazil nuts! :shock: I only gave him a very tiny bit, of course. And all of my cats except Leia adored cream cheese! I really have no opinion about the other things you've listed; some of them sound to me like things that cats wouldn't like...but you never can tell with cats ..... :-D

Elaine
19-07-2007, 07:18 PM
A big no no would be onoins as they are toxic to cats and can cause non regenerative anemia.
Chocolate is also toxic to cats so that would also rule out the cocoa bean.
Brewers yeast is found in many cat treats and is a good source of B vitamins, do not over feed these however, one or two daily is fine. Brewers yeast or anything containing brewers yeast should not be given to any cat who is prone to urinary tract infections though.
B vitamins are extremely good for cats with impaired kidneys due to CRF, for example, as they urinate more frequently and as B vitamins are water soluble, they lose more B vitamins than they take in through their daily diet.

mable1718
19-07-2007, 09:17 PM
sorry i cant help you but i hope all the others advice will help

Whiley
20-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Fantastic advice, many thanks!

Also thanks for the page of treats, etc, but this list is actually from my own recipes for other animals that i make for my 'almost-open' shop 'Chow Bella Treats' which will be going online in the next few months and i also premiere at a craftmans fair in a months time.
I aim to make treats for animals from natural ingredients that are additive free, healthy and advantageous in some way [i have a range for cereal free and pottasium rich rabbit treats for example] and completely homebaked. They have proved very popular. I have until now only catered for small animals, from mice to ferrets basically, but i am now looking to bake for cats and dogs also.

I already do a 'Vitamin B Bomb' which is like a truffle, so that may be nice for cats, but i'll make some in soft biscuit form also as that may be more appealing for cats.

Lena
26-07-2007, 10:27 PM
The superfoods you've listed are human superfoods but unfortunately cats can't absorb much from them. I'm sure you're keeping in mind that cats need meat - vegetables, fruits, seeds and wheats have no nutritional value to them.

As for food no-nos off the top of my head:
Raisins & grapes
macadamia nuts
human consumption tuna (too much salt)
chocolate
coffee & tea (caffeine, theobromine and theophylline found in coffee and tea can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous system)
mushrooms
onions & garlic (in all forms)
potatoes
rhubarb
tomatoes & its leaves and stems

I'm thinking your list of ingredients sounds rather delicous for human treats!!

Whiley
27-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Thank you Lena!
That list is basically some items i use to create treats for other animals, all of whom i have already nutrition checked, so it was more of a which of whats already in my cupboard can i use for cats, type question!

Lena
28-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Paracetamol is also extremely toxic to cats in addition to the aspirin dinahsmum already mentioned above - although I'm sure you won't be adding either into your cat treats!

Raw potato skins, avocados and red peppers are also said to have something nasty in them. That said, my former cat ate a whole potato once and he died of old age 21 years later so perhaps it isn't the worst offender of them all.