PDA

View Full Version : Bernard...............

charliebubs
18-07-2007, 01:03 PM
(I don't want to speak too soon, but...)

Bernard seems to be much better :D

There has been no crying in the night for the last two nights!! Woo hoo!!!

He is still pooing in the bath, but i can kind of live with that :oops: It's easy to clean and disinfect!!! He does wee in the upstairs litter tray, so hopefully he will poo there in time too :?

I gave him some of the Deffurum treats the other day (as DM suggested) and yesterday and the night before he brought up some MASSIVE hairballs :o . I'm even wondering if that had something to do with him being so upset???? If I had all that congealed hair inside me I think I'd be pretty upset too :(

Bless him.

Anyway - all seems good now and he's been less clingy and was playing with his catnip snake this morning :-D :-D

Moli
18-07-2007, 01:04 PM
brilliant to hear Bernie is better now, just seems to have taken him a while to settle in...and he must have has a sore tum too poor boy.....

Mags
18-07-2007, 01:14 PM
That's good news Charlie, I hope Bernard will feel more settled now...

I've had a similar problem here with hairballs......Cassie is regularly brushed yet she presented me with three fairly big hairballs over the last few days! :roll:

dinahsmum
18-07-2007, 01:33 PM
:) Good news CB. Hope Bernard continues to improve. Maybe he could learn to poop in the toliet? - he's nearly there if he finds the bath

charliebubs
18-07-2007, 02:03 PM
:) Good news CB. Hope Bernard continues to improve. Maybe he could learn to poop in the toliet? - he's nearly there if he finds the bath

Hahahaha!!!! That would be brilliant!!! I'll tell him you said so!!!! :-D :-D

Fran
18-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Glad to hear of the improvement!!

Poor baby having hairball problems :( but so glad he's got rid, he must feel much better now!

dinahsmum
18-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Hahahaha!!!! That would be brilliant!!! I'll tell him you said so!!!! :-D :-D
There you go CB http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=46&pf_id=6357

charliebubs
18-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I know DM - I have been tempted to get one of those before - but I just think it would be a waste of money :( unfortunately!!!!

The bath is almost there!!!! lol :roll:

Jac
19-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Charlie, I'm so plased that Bernard is begining to settle better now.
Poor wee lamb! Thoes hairballs couldnt have been much fun for him:cat11 Give him a cuddle from me.

charliebubs
19-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, a bit more good news!!!!

I got some different litter to try yesterday and as soon as I filled the tray with it Bernard was in there doing a wee. About an hour or so later he was back in the tray doing a poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm wondering whether that small stay in the cattery changed his opinions on cat litter!! :? He doesn't seem to like the Worlds Best any more (at least not for a poo!) but he was straight in this one!!!

He did cry a bit in the night tho - so not all good news, but one step at a time!! :)

My dad has a new theory about Bernard's crying.................... the developer I bought the house from had bought it cheap from the estate of a dead lady, so my dad now reckons that this dead lady's ghost is in the house and that's what Bernard doesn't like!?! :?

Anyone know exorcism??? ;)

dandysmom
19-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Good news! Finally settling, you must be so relieved... :D Are you getting an exorcist for the ghost... :-D ? It's so odd about hairballs: I always brush my cats thoroughly every night: Patches whoopsed up hairballs regularly; Leia never once has! (Having said that, of course, she'll probably do so at once...:roll: )

Mags
19-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Great that Bernard is beginning to settle at last Charlie.......looks like the change of litter did the trick..;)

That thought of your Dad's is real spooky :? ....I know animals do pick up on these things but.....................to have it in your own house :shock:.......I'd go round the house with some spook repellant very fast!!! :-D

charliebubs
20-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Not good news today.............

Bernard seems worse again :( He cried a lot last night and then at 2.30am he decided to wee in/on the waste-paper bin in my bedroom :roll: It wasn't really like spraying, it was more like weeing and I just don't know what to think now.

The litter tray was clean, so it can't be because he thought it was dirty :? The bathroom door was open, so he could have gone in the bath :? The kitchen window was also open so they could get outside.

He also seems to have a sore eye today - one of them has a yellow-like discharge, so we're off to the vets after work tonight for a complete check up.

I hope he's okay. He is still eating fine and enjoying a cuddle.

Maybe the ghost was in my bin and he was peeing on them :shock:

Donna
20-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Hope the vet can get to the bottom of any medical problems. If not, hope Bernard settles soon.

Jane
20-07-2007, 05:01 PM
I hope he's okay, let us know how it goes at the vet.

Fran
20-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh I do hope that the vet has some answers for you Charlie and that Bernard starts to settle in soon. The sore eye might just be a symtpm of stress going to the cattery/moving home??

Mags
20-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Sorry things appear to have gone a step backwards Charlie.:(

A good check up is needed just in case there is something or some discomfort that is making him cry like that during the night. I hope the vet can help him overcome this. Was that the first time he has been in a Cattery?

dandysmom
20-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Poor boy! I hope the vet gets it sorted; it's been hard on you both. (((hugs)

dinahsmum
21-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I hope the vet had some ideas as to what is ailing Bernard. Maybe it is ultra stress from the move and he needs some puss-cat Prozac?

Elaine
21-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Poor Bernard. Hope everything went well at the vets xxx
How old is Bernard Charlie?

dinahsmum
21-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Poor Bernard. Hope everything went well at the vets xxx
How old is Bernard Charlie?
I asked that in the previous thread Elaine. CB reckons 7/8. She's had him about a year.

Elaine
21-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Hmm, I was just wondering if maybe the stress of the move has possibly triggered another underlying cause for the midnight wailing. I sincerely hope not.
Hopefully the vet visit has helped. xxx

charliebubs
21-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the support from everyone.

Well, the vet was quite dismissive to be honest :( I think he thought I was over-reacting :(

He checked Bernard over though and concluded that there was nothing medically wrong with him. He said that it could possibly be the start of a stress-related-cystitis, but he didn't really seem to think so. He wasn't worried about the eye either :roll:

He gave him a shot of antibiotics and antiinflammatory and gave me some AB tablets for him, but his general conclusion was that it's stress from the move and that 2 weeks isn't really very long.

He tried to fob me off with a Feliway plug-in - which I said that I already have - then he tried to say that maybe once the cat flap was fitted it would all be okay :roll: despite the fact that I said Bernard had access to the garden through the kitchen window anyway :roll:

All in all - it wasn't much help!!!!!! But at least I have ruled out any medical problem.

When I was chatting to Fran last night it jogged my memory that when Bernard first came into Wood Green and I was working there, he was very stressed out at being confined there (we think he had been a long term stray before) and as soon as the week stray time was up I brought him straight home with me. He didn't settle very well initially and preferred to spend nearly all his time in the garden. I even had to take his food out to him in the garden. It took quite a long time and a lot of work for him to trust me and understand that he could come in the house and it was his home and that he was safe.

I also remember that when I got some new furniture a few months ago, he sprayed up my new table :shock:

So, perhaps he is a cat that just doesn't like change!?!?!

That's my conclusion for now anyway and I have bought some homeopathic stress relief drops for him today. Fingers crossed that it does the trick.

I have also invested in a jumbo, jumbo sized litter tray today and filled it with his new favorite litter and I'm hoping that all of this will do the trick!!!!!

Oh, and the cat flap is now fitted too, so he can come and go into the garden as he pleases without me having to worry about having the kitchen window open.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us this weekend!!! :)

Fran
21-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Everything crossed here Charlie!!! Let us know how he goes..

Elaine
21-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I am very pleased to hear that there is no medical issues with Bernard xxx
Sounds like it takes him a long time to adapt to change, is he related to my Diva by any chance?;)
Poor Bernard, its sad when they are like this coz its not like you can explain it to him, I am sure with your love and patience he will come round in his own good time. I just hope that doesnt mean too many sleepless nights for you Charlie.
All my love and best wishes to you both. xxx

Mags
21-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Pleased to hear there was nothing medically wrong with Bernard anyway Charlie....

I hope the two of you have a good weekend and Bernard begins to relax a bit.....

charliebubs
21-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks Elaine. I think he may have the Diva's Scottish ancestory!!!! lol He is being a bit diva-ish at the mo :roll:

I've got all the time in the world if that's what it takes to make him settled and happy though.

charliebubs
21-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks Mags (and Fran too!) :)

Elaine
21-07-2007, 06:19 PM
http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4973.0
Found this on another site that might help.

alexgirl73
21-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Glad that there is nothing medically wrong with him Charlie! just sounds like he is going to need time and extra loving to settle in your new home ((hugs)) to you both.

charliebubs
22-07-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4973.0
Found this on another site that might help.

Thanks Elaine!! I did buy some homeopathic stuff for Bernard yesterday and (touch wood) he does seem a bit brighter today. He didn't cry in the night last night and no poos in the bath either!! Woo hoo!! He's been spending time happily in the garden this afternoon and seems okay.

Fingers crossed that it's a turn for the better!

How coincidental that the link you have just sent me is about the vet Richard Allport, that I have just recommended to Jac for Caspurr!!! ;)

Jac
22-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Elaine!! I did buy some homeopathic stuff for Bernard yesterday and (touch wood) he does seem a bit brighter today. He didn't cry in the night last night and no poos in the bath either!! Woo hoo!! He's been spending time happily in the garden this afternoon and seems okay.

Fingers crossed that it's a turn for the better!

How coincidental that the link you have just sent me is about the vet Richard Allport, that I have just recommended to Jac for Caspurr!!! ;)

Now that's spooky!!! Off to have a lookie. So glad Bernard is doing better.

Elaine
22-07-2007, 07:22 PM

That is a coincidence as I was actually searching for info on the calichevirus at the time I came across that one.
I have heard many on Purrs talk about the virus but I dont know that much about it myself.

dandysmom
22-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Good to hear that Bernard seems to be settling a bit better..........

Fran
22-07-2007, 08:10 PM
So glad he's starting to settle now Charlie :)