PDA

View Full Version : introducing a new cat?

stompin_sarah
17-07-2007, 11:50 PM
i have already got a female long haired cat that has been nutured and not sure of her age...ive had her since january and thinking of getting another cat.....but what would be best? male/female? also how would i introduce the new cat to my cat i already have? im really worried about her running away from home due to another cat coming into her teritory?

mable1718
18-07-2007, 08:04 AM
well if you do get another cat dont introduce straight away so that the other cat can get use to the home then introduce them slowly i hope that helps you out

dinahsmum
18-07-2007, 08:06 AM
i have already got a female long haired cat that has been nutured and not sure of her age...ive had her since january and thinking of getting another cat.....but what would be best? male/female? also how would i introduce the new cat to my cat i already have? im really worried about her running away from home due to another cat coming into her teritory?
Not being rude, or thick, but why do it then? Do you really think she will be unhappy with another cat?
Lots of cats are unsociable, lots of others seem to enjoy having others around. You'll be the person who can judge that best.
This is a very good article that Elaine posted yesterday http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html (http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html)
It might help you crystalise your thoughts on whether you ought to get another. If you decide yes, then I'm sure everyone will give you their ideas on what sex/age to look for.
Good luck

stompin_sarah
18-07-2007, 09:49 AM
thanks for that...the reason i want to get another cat is because i have a big house and ive got plenty of room for maybe another 3 more cats....also i have loads of time and love to give to another cat who is stuck in them small rooms at the rspca.....i have time and love so why not get another!

Emm
18-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I have 5 cats and I'm a bit unconventional when it comes to introducing all the cats. When I get a new cat I just put them in the house and let the cats all get to know each other. Kittens are far easier to settle in than older cats. I find it takes about a year for all things to settle back to normal when introducing an adult cat. I don't interfere - and I don't get stressed out when they are finding where there place is in the house. And so far (touch wood!) it always works out.

The only exception to that was Felix who was kept in the spare room for about 2 weeks because he had to get neutered and cleaned up from living in the street.

If you are going to have more cats I recommend making sure you have at least two different feeding areas and read up on multi cat households :D

dinahsmum
19-07-2007, 02:43 PM
If you have plenty of room (plus time plus money :roll: ) I think I'd say why not get 2. Say a couple of juvenile boys, who know each other and enjoy each others company. They will settle in happily, won't bother number one cat, as they will play with each other, and she can please herself whether to interact with them or not.
All the rescues have young cats who have either never been taken or have been discarded.
JMO but I think boys are a bit easier.

Kazz
19-07-2007, 05:50 PM
How much has your present cat settled into your home? when you got her did you get her from a rescue did they say she may be suitable to live with other cats? or not? is she a home bird ie stays in or is she a roamer in the nicest possible sense?
Then try and maybe get the opposite so they do ot tread on each others toes...if your present cat is a cat who stays in the house loads and just potters out occasinaly then maybe a cat or as DM has suggest two that go out and about may be your answer and vice versa so they do not tread on each others toes.

Karen

sarah5
21-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi stompin_sarah !

I also have a cat and am introducing another cat hopefully next week.. I have been to see quite a few RSPCA and CPL cats and I think have settled on a little ginger lady who is only 16 weeks old.

I have just been speaking with a lady at the RSPCA about introducing cats:

I was recommended to allocate a room just for the new kitty for a couple of days, keep her, her food, bed, litter tray, toys, etc in that room only, just so she can get used to the smells, environment, etc. I was advised to get her to rub round a piece of cloth, then to place that next to the current cats' feeding bowl so he can get used to her scent. Then after a couple of days doing that, when current cat is feeding, bring down the new cats' food bowl and place on the other side of the room and bring new cat down to feed at the same time.. whilst/after feeding is apparently a good time for them to meet.. but be prepared for a bit of hissing and growling!!

Hope that helps.. that's certainly what I'll be trying this coming week when I bring my new kitty home, I'll let you know how it goes!