PDA

View Full Version : Hissing and growling-help!

JBalways2000
17-07-2007, 07:53 PM
So i got my babies yesterday:D i left them in the bathroom until not too long ago so that they could settle in and be kept safe from my boys(my bathroom is nearly as big as my bedroom so they were having a ball in there all night:lol: )

anyway, we just decided to let them out, but first let the older boys see them in the carrier-this produced alot of hissing and growling from AJ and the kittens(Raven is so well behaved!)

so we though maybe if AJ saw the kittens on our laps this might be better but its no different. Raven is being perfect and is just curious and coming over to have a sniff but both the kittens are hissing at him and it scares the life out of poor Raven. AJ is being a terror too:roll:

so where do i go from here? i knew it wouldnt be a quick intro(only hoped!) but i really didnt expect all this hissing and growling either! please help!

dinahsmum
17-07-2007, 08:00 PM
It's difficult not being there and actually seeing/hearing it, but I suspect this is a normal/natural behaviour. The big boys are defending their territory.
Don't leave all the cats alone together whilst the growling and swearing continues.
Hopefully things will calm down fairly quickly but let them get there at their own pace - don't rush it. The carrier is good to allow the big boys to get used to the babies being around and accept them, whilst you can be sure they won't hurt them.

mable1718
17-07-2007, 08:03 PM
i suspect this normal behavior and they are settling in to their new home

Elaine
17-07-2007, 08:04 PM
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

Mags
17-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Good advice from DM and an excellent link from Elaine ....... give them all time to get to know each other but make sure AJ and Raven are getting plenty of fuss and don't get left out ;)

chrisratty
17-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Gosh I'm sorry my boys are being naughty, but I'm sure they'll settle down soon. Think it's just a natural reaction from both sides really. Sending cuddles to my boys & yours to.

chris xx

JBalways2000
17-07-2007, 09:47 PM
thanks for the advice everyone, it is good to know that this is just normal behaviour!

the kittens will be sleeping in the bathroom again tonight so as not to disrupt what AJ and Raven are used to(ie sleeping in with us and having free run of the house!) and i shall keep trying slowly with the carrier etc.

i could give Raven such a big kiss though, hes such a good boy the way he was being with them(and the poor soul being terrified of the teeny tiny kitten hisses:oops: :lol: ) its a shame that Raven doesnt like kisses!:lol: i actually think he tried to lick Rhino during a little sniffing session but Rhino hissed at him and he shot off bless him.

i will have a proper read through that link now-thanks for that!

will keep you all updated on how things go-wish me luck!:D

Elaine
17-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Word of warning, dont try to rush the intro's if AJ is really unhappy, it'll just lead to further set backs. Best to take it slowly, AJ will come round at his own pace.
Food can be a good pacifier too. I used to feed Bernie in his cage and Eva on the outside of the cage, gradually bringing Eva's food closer and closer to Bernies. We started off feeding Eva out side of the room and inching her bowl in a little at a time when she seemed comfortable with it.
We did have to start from scratch once or twice because we rushed a step too quick which meant we had to start all over again.
Took Eva more than 6 months to accept Bernie but she is the DIVA and I am sure AJ wont be as bad as she was:lol:

yola
17-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Speaking from personal experience (of cat to cat, rather than cat to kitten introduction), all seemed to settle down within a week of bringing the new cat into the house. Yes, there were spats but nothing too serious. I hope both sets of cats/kittens accept newcomers/incumbents easily from now on.

But don't get too stressed yourself, that can rub off on the cats and create additional tension.

JBalways2000
17-07-2007, 10:02 PM
good god, 6 months!:shock: im getting tired just thinking about it:lol: much prefer the idea of a week! :lol:

no i will definately take things slowly, the last thing i want is for them to never accept each other. will try the food thing, though i tried giving AJ a treat to distract him while i had Rhino on my lap but he wasnt interested-VERY unlike AJ to turn his nose up at a treat(bet he will cry later when he realises what he done:lol: :lol: )

Elaine
17-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Yola's right, get some rescue remedy for both you and the cats:lol:

JBalways2000
17-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Yola's right, get some rescue remedy for both you and the cats:lol:

:lol: well yes i am a little bit of a worry wort:oops: :lol:

though someone mentioned using rescue remedy the other day when a posted about AJs "toilet problems", so is it safe to use on the kitties? im assuming so as ive used it on the ratties:lol: how much would be right to give them? should i add it to their water or food or give straight to them? anything that might calm them(and me:oops: ) down!:lol:

Elaine
17-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes it is safe to use on them.
Try not to frett, I am sure that with in a week or two everything will settle down.

Fran
17-07-2007, 11:21 PM
It is normal introductory behaviour. They have to establish the pecking order but I wouldn't rush the intro's, careful supervised meetings and extra cuddles for the existing members of the household so that they do not feel jealousy. Good luck! It's very early days. Do let us know how you get on..

JBalways2000
17-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Extra cuddles for AJ and Raven? oh that sounds like such hard work....;) :lol: yep will definately be taking this slowly, and hopefully with the help of you lot i will get there sooner or later!:D

dinahsmum
18-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Trying not to sound like a 'stuck needle', try to get those big boys neutered asap. I think that'll help them all bond too.

dandysmom
18-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Have you tried Feliway? When I got Patches (spayed adult female), Misty (also spayed adult female) hissed, growled and spat; Patches spent about a week in the basement and would not come up: had to put food, water, tray down there. But she eventually came up, and while the two were never friends they tolerated one another. Good luck!