PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

Fran
16-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I am in need of a new lappy. This one really is on it's way out. I have been looking around and had various differing bits of advice. I need one that will handle digital slr images (which can be very large) with ease and also the photoediting software that is needed too. I don't play any games or anything of that nature.

So has anybody any advice or recommendations?

I have been told Dell's laptops are quite reliable, also Toshiba which is what I have now but have been advised against Sony and Packard Bell.

I had a quick gander round PC world yesterday and I'm sure I saw Erin's lappy - couldn't miss it - it's bright pink!! :shock: The colour isn't an issue for me, as long as it does what it says on the tin, it can be any colour it wishes :roll: :-D

Moli
16-07-2007, 03:05 PM
I have this one PK, and its brilliant,,

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=068712&camp_id=CHEETAH%20MARKETING

Fran
16-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I am sure I looked at that one Moli or at least one very similar! You pleased with it then?

Moli
16-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I am sure I looked at that one Moli or at least one very similar! You pleased with it then?
Very pleased with it, its so fast....I am still finding my way around it though, bought it with my lottery win!;)

charliebubs
16-07-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a Dell laptop - they don't make the exact same model any more - it's an Inspiron 1300. I was impressed with Dell and they make to order and you can have what you like to an extent i.e. extra memory, that kind of thing.

Mine does what it says on the tin!!!! :)

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:06 PM
I have a Dell laptop - they don't make the exact same model any more - it's an Inspiron 1300. I was impressed with Dell and they make to order and you can have what you like to an extent i.e. extra memory, that kind of thing.

Mine does what it says on the tin!!!! :)

Thanks for that Charlie., I am seriously considering a Dell. Do they have that newer type hard, glossy screen?? I really fancy one of the newer type screens. I've heard they are rubbish in direct sunlight e.g. outside but images are much more crisp than the traditional 'soft' screens

charliebubs
16-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Mine doesn't have the hard screen..........I'm not sure if they make them like that now. Have a butchers at their website. :)

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Mine doesn't have the hard screen..........I'm not sure if they make them like that now. Have a butchers at their website. :)

Yes I have had a look at their web site but I can't decide whether they do the hard screens or not. Might give them a ring and get a quote for what I am after...

dandysmom
16-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Have you even considered Apple? Carolyn has one, and loves it.......

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Have you even considered Apple? Carolyn has one, and loves it.......

Eileen, I would swap to an apple in a flash! virus free etc but because we have 4 lappys/PC's here we'd all have to go apple or we wouldn't be able to share files/photos etc and I don't think we could run to all of us having a new lappy/pc right now :roll: But yes, if the children had left home and there was just hubby and I, I would definitely consider one. Maybe something for the future?

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I did have a look round the apple store the other week and I was very impressed with what I saw! Expensive though :shock:

dandysmom
16-07-2007, 04:21 PM
That is a problem! They're great machines, very user friendly and not virus prone, but soooo expensive...I really don't need a laptop, but want one for the convenience, but that is a lot of money.......

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Seriously, I would have one if we didn't have need to share files/piccies etc here. I'd get my moneysworth from it for sure but I can't afford for us all to go apple :?

dandysmom
16-07-2007, 04:28 PM
A pity they don't offer a family discount... :-D

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:41 PM
A pity they don't offer a family discount... :-D

They possibly might do if I ordered 4!! but I still don't think it would be within my budget :roll: :-D