PDA

View Full Version : Please spare a thought for Jennie.

random
16-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Jennie (my sister's cat) has somehow managed to catch her tail somewhere and last night I noticed it was scabbed over, a HUGE scab on her tail and a bald patch. She wouldn't let me near it and was very distressed about it so I left her the night and went in armed with a blanket today and mobbed her to get a closer look and clean it.

Upon cleaning it the scab broke off and there was a lot of pus, and the end of her tail is practically hanging on by the scab. God knows what she's done but she has certainly kept it a secret. We are still trying to get through to the vets but I certainly expect her in later today to have it amputated at a healthier point of her tail.

I have cleaned it up and put a secure bandage on her tail so that it doesn't get anything nasty in the wound. She seems fine in herself but it is obviously causing her discomfort and distress. I have popped her into a bedroom on her own with all that she needs just to keep an eye on her and make sure no-one is pestering her.

Poor lamb. :(

Moli
16-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Poor girl. sending big hugs to her....xx

Fran
16-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear this :( I have everything crossed that the vet will be able to help. Please let us know how she gets on {{{gentle cuddles for Jennie }}} x

Elaine
16-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Poor Jenny xxx Sending her lots of well wishes xxx

Erin
16-07-2007, 11:33 AM
oh im so sorry,sending lots of well wishes and hugs xxxx

kado
16-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Sending lots of well wishes and hugs from me too

jane

yola
16-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh poor baby :( Please do keep us posted as to how she's doing, bless her.

random
16-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanx everyone, the vet is going to ring us back as soon as they can get her in, will keep you all posted.

Jac
16-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Any news??? Poor thing. Hopefully you are at the Vet just now. Let us know how she is and they manage to save her tail.

random
16-07-2007, 02:13 PM
She's in for half four, it's soonest they had an appointment long enough to fit surgery in. She will definately be having it removed Jac as it's completely dead at the end, I don't know if they will take it below the break and do a clean surgical break, or if the current break is ok to just stitch up and treat. We'll find out when we get there but she may well have to stay overnight with the surgery being so late in the day (they usually do surgery in the morning so as they have the full day to recover), we are not sure what is going to happen in that respect but as soon as I am able I will let you know.

She is here with me now with her tail bandaged up and not a care in the world otherwise so hopefully she will be up and back to normal quickly.

Jac
16-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. Not what I hoped for her.
at least you found it sooner rather than later. Let us know how she gets on poor baby. I will be thinking about her.

Mags
16-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Poor Jennie, sending her lots of healing wishes and I hope everything goes well for her at the vets, Random...

Has anyone any idea how she could have done this?

dinahsmum
16-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Poor Jennie.
Hope she bounces back very quickly, with her new, streamlined, go-faster tail

alexgirl73
16-07-2007, 05:42 PM
poor baby! Hope everything has gone well at the vets for her.

random
16-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanx everyone, they took her in and amputated her tail down to about 2" at 5pm, she is staying in overnight just to be on the safe side and make sure she is ok. She's had an antibiotic jab and is on pain relief and vet has rang and said she's came round nicely. So far so good.

Mags no idea at all how she's managed it, :? but she's done it somewhere in the house yesterday as he doesn't go outside. She must have trapped her tail somewhere and broke it clean in half trying to get free the vet thinks. :( It honestly can't believe it as obviously it must have really hurt her, :( but thinking back now I was in most of yesterday and only out to walk the dogs, and didn't hear any screaming. :? She's got full run of the house so could have been anywhere. My first thought would have been a door but someone would have had to shut it on her tail and well, we'd have know about that i'm sure. :shock:

She will be back home tomorrow and I will post an update as soon as I get a chance. One of my dogs has cut herself in between the toes aswell today, they say things come in 3's but it's like a bloomin' animal hospital here at the moment. :roll:

dinahsmum
16-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh dear - hugs all round.
Sounds as if Jennie will be fine as a Manx though. Good.

Mags
16-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Glad the op went well for Jennie.......let's hope the pain relief is doing its job for her..

I hope it won't mean a trip to the vet again for your dog, Random :?

Elaine
16-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Pleased the op went well for her, poor love.
Wishing your whole house hold a speedy recovery:lol: just incase anything else happens. xxx

Jac
16-07-2007, 07:34 PM
What a day it's been eh? I really hope she will be back to her normal self soon. ((((((())))) hugs xx

random
16-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Glad the op went well for Jennie.......let's hope the pain relief is doing its job for her..

I hope it won't mean a trip to the vet again for your dog, Random :?

I know this always seems to happen to us Mags, we don't see them for ages then everyone is poorly at once. :(

It's just a small cut really inbetween her toes so home treatable really, just got to keep it clean and let it heal up before taking her out, which will be a nightmare keeping her indoors. :shock: I may not be on for sometime as i'll be spending every spare minute entertaining her! :shock: She won't put it on the floor though so is limping around like a loony. :roll:

random
16-07-2007, 07:39 PM
What a day it's been eh? I really hope she will be back to her normal self soon. ((((((())))) hugs xx

Hasn't it just, I hope your wee lad is ok. x

Thanx everyone for the well wishes for Jen. x

dinahsmum
16-07-2007, 07:41 PM
You're right Random. You go months with all the pets fit and fine and then there seems to come a fortnight or so when you're at the vet every other day with one or other of them. Funny (and annoying) how that happens.

random
17-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Just to let you all know Jennie is home and doing well, I haven't had much time today but will give you a better update when I can.

Mags
17-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for letting us know Random, I hope Jennie continues to do well....:D

Jac
17-07-2007, 09:42 PM
So glad things are going well. Thinking of her. (((()))) hugs

Moli
17-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Pleased to hear Jennie is recovering....

Fran
17-07-2007, 10:30 PM
So glad Jennie is recovering well. I hope your doggie is ok now too?

dinahsmum
18-07-2007, 07:58 AM
That's good news about Jennie. I'm sure she will soon adapt

mable1718
18-07-2007, 08:00 AM
poor girl sending hugs

alexgirl73
18-07-2007, 08:08 AM
good news, she's recovering!

Erin
18-07-2007, 10:07 AM
So glad she is recovering well Random :)

random
18-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanx everyone, she's fine today just her normal self, she is quite a calm and quiet cat anyway. She is back in on friday to have her check up and make sure everything is ok, but everything looks fine and she doesn't seem to mind.

I'll get some pics of her when I know she won't mind. It's just a shame as she had such a long and beautifully elegant tail compared to the other moggies. A bit Siamese like.

Fran Maddy is fine now and walks about properly with no limp, but she is in season so still a nightmare in other respects! :roll:

Jess751
20-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I have no idea how i missed this thread. :roll: Im glad to hear that Jennie is ok and has made it through her ordeal, aswell for Maddy. Could something have fallen on her?? That would be my next geuss after the door. Could the door have blown shut from wind or something??

random
20-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I have no idea how i missed this thread. :roll: Im glad to hear that Jennie is ok and has made it through her ordeal, aswell for Maddy. Could something have fallen on her?? That would be my next geuss after the door. Could the door have blown shut from wind or something??

We don't leave the outside doors open and there's no way the inside doors could have been blown shut on her like that. I don't think there is anything that could have fallen on her, we've all racked our brains (obviously we don't want any of the others to suffer the same injuries so it would be helpful if we knew how she did it) but we just cannot figure out what she has done.

If she was outdoors I could understand it but she stays inside. It's puzzled us all and is now known as the mystery of Jennie's missing tail! We have been looking around the house for clues (any bloodstains or anything like that) but have found nothing. :? So i'm still absolutely clueless as to what happened to her. I'm beggining to wonder if maybe one of the other cats did it, but I really can't see that being the case. They all get on really well. And the cats are never left unattended with the dogs either so it can't have been that.

Answers on a postcard please!

Jess751
20-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Ugh!! I can definately see how thats frustrating. Good Luck in finding what happened. I hope you do. Its just good that she is ok now. :)