PDA

View Full Version : New mum to 4 kittens

Illyria
01-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi, am hoping you can help me....our cat had her first litter yesterday/early morning today and had four kittens, all of whom seem to be fine.

Am slightly concerned about a couple of things - firstly she seems a but clueless about keeping them fed - a couple of times we've had to guide a kitten to her teat as she just seems to sit there

Secondly she's wandered off to the other end of the room and doesnt seem that worried about going back to them - admittedly she hasnt left them for long and they are all asleep but I'd read somewhere that she wouldnt want to leave them...

any advice appreciated please:)

Jane
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I have no advice but just wanted to say congrats on the new kittens! Any pics? Hope everything goes well.

mable1718
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
i have no advice either but would love to see pictures

chrisratty
01-07-2007, 08:23 PM
It does depend on the cat, years ago I had a cat who had kittens, she never left them at all for the first 24hrs, I had to hand feed her & put a litter tray next to her & the kitties.

The 2 cats who've just had kittens recently...both wonderful Mums, only stopped for 12 hours with the kittens before they left them to eat etc, prefering to outside to the loo even though I had a litter tray down.

If the kittens are asleep & not restless mewing etc I would take that as that they were being fed & are ok, all cats are different.

chris xx

dandysmom
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I can't really answer this as all my females have been spayed; however as Chris said if the kittens seem to be thriving it would seem as if they're getting enough milk. You might want to give your vet a ring and discuss this with her/him... good luck with the little ones! Let us know how they're doing, please.

Elaine
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/cats/catcare/rightthing.html