PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a kitten to my boys

JBalways2000
29-06-2007, 10:33 AM
hope i have put this in the right section! i will be getting a new gorgeous kitten in about 3/4 weeks time and i was wondering how i should go about introducing him to my current two? they will all be indoor kitties, so just wondering if i need to keep them seperate for a day or two and introduce slowly? or whether i should just play by ear and see what happens when they first meet? any advice or help is very welcome!:D

Fran
29-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Congratulations on your forthcoming new arrival!! I'd be inclined to keep them seperate for a day or too. You could also swap bedding between them and the new kitten so that they get used to each other's smells before you introduce them. When you feel they are ready to meet, it's a good idea to put the new kitty in a crate if you have one or could borrow one? so that they can see and smell each other without the fear of injury. Most adult cats will accept a kitten eventually, so I wouldn't worry too much but I would say introductions done gradually are the most succesful. Good luck and do let us know how you get on. Can't wait to see piccies of your new baby :cool:

JBalways2000
29-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Thankyou for that, i did think it would be better to go slowly. my boys will be about 11 months old when i get the new chap so im hoping it will go a bit easier with them being so young but that might just be wishful thinking. would a carrier do instead of a crate? the only crates i have are the giant ones my bunnies live in:lol:

i do actually have some piccies of my little boy as the person im getting him from has been sending me loads and the latest ones are really good so il try and put them up here in a minute:D he is stunning though-cant wait to bring him home!

Fran
29-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, a carrier will do, it's just so you can gauge the reaction of all of them to each other without fear of the little one getting injured. 11 months is still quite young so let's hope that it all goes very smoothly!

Looking forward to the piccies :D