PDA

View Full Version : Echinacea 'can prevent a cold'

dinahsmum
25-06-2007, 08:12 AM
I believe this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6231190.stm
A good regime seems to be 'up to two weeks on/one week off', during the winter months. I find the tincture, which you dilute with water, much more pleasant to take than the gigantic pills.

Emm
07-07-2007, 11:41 AM
thanks for posting this. I want to take it but have always been wary because I didn't know when to take it or for how long :lol:

dandysmom
07-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Interesting! I'm a great believer in taking Vitamin C to prevent colds. Studies say this is not true, but it has always worked for me! Haven't had a cold in I can't remember when!

Mags
07-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Interesting! I'm a great believer in taking Vitamin C to prevent colds. Studies say this is not true, but it has always worked for me! Haven't had a cold in I can't remember when!
Shhhhh...Eileen, don't tempt fate! ;)

dandysmom
07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, Mags, part of it can just be getting old! There are over 100 varieties of the rhinovirus out there, and I've surely been exposed to and gotten immunity to most of them, especially being a public transit rider all my life!

Fran
07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I've been giving it the cats in their drinking water at a rate of about 2 weeks on, one week off for the last few weeks. I've also put it in the dog's water as the cats drink from there too and I have to say that Porsha has been great since taking it, hardly any sneezing at all :cool: They find it quite palatable and will drink it no problem at all. In fact, if I put a bowl of plain water down and one with the echinacea in it, they choose to drink the one with the echinacea in it ;) I'm going to continue giving it to them. I haven't given it to Ria or the kittens as I don't know how safe it is for the babies... I might give it a try myself :-D

Mags
07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Over 100 varieties!! :shock: I suppose that living in a big city you are exposed to more germs too. You must have built up a good immunity by now Eileen...

dandysmom
07-07-2007, 04:35 PM
You should be on the bus in the Winter with all the people wheezing and sneezing away! Actually, be glad you aren't..it's not a pretty scene....

Emm
08-07-2007, 07:08 PM
ewwwh I can imagine! I remember working in shops and hating Winter the amount of people that would sneeze and cough over you without even covering their mouths :shock: disgusting!

Mags
08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
ewwwh I can imagine! I remember working in shops and hating Winter the amount of people that would sneeze and cough over you without even covering their mouths :shock: disgusting!
.................and when they do remember to cover their mouths when coughing and sneezing, you are still at risk as their hands are full of germs when they handle their money!!:roll::lol:

Emm
08-07-2007, 07:15 PM
eeeuwwwh no wonder I was so ill all the time working in shops :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mags
08-07-2007, 07:17 PM
eeeuwwwh no wonder I was so ill all the time working in shops :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mable1718
08-07-2007, 08:39 PM
thanks for posting that interesting link