PDA

View Full Version : He's here!

Soupie
24-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Well picked up my new boy on Saturday - he's about 20 months black selkirk rex and he is a complete sweetheart :D Haven't introduced him to Pousse yet as he has to be tested for FELV (she is not vaccinated and vet would prefer not to as she reacts badly to jabs). He's off to the vet tomorrow and then it's intro time.

Fingers crossed it will go well - I think she knows he is here!

Will get some piccies soon :D

alexgirl73
24-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Fab! Can't wait to see some pics. What's his name?

sarahd
24-06-2007, 09:38 PM
looking forward to the piccies of the new pussy cat

Sarah
x

Moli
24-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Cannot wait for pictures, do not think I have ever seen one of those..

Kazz
24-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Best of luck, slowly slowly.

Erin
24-06-2007, 09:40 PM
great!Cant wait to see some piccies :)

Mags
24-06-2007, 09:41 PM
How exciting Soupie :D hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow.......looking forward to seeing some pics of him too!:D

dandysmom
24-06-2007, 09:42 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that Pousse knows! Hope all goes well with the intros, and that she'll be happy with her new companion, Can't wait to see the pics!

yola
24-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Really looking forward to pics as I've never heard of, let alone seen a Selkirk Rex. Does it have wavy fur like a Devon Rex??

alexgirl73
24-06-2007, 09:52 PM
here's the selkirk rex site

http://selkirkrexcatclub.co.uk/selkirkrexcatclub/index.htm

dandysmom
24-06-2007, 10:12 PM
What a gook link, Alex; thanks for posting! I'd never heard of this breed also; lovely cats, aren't they?

Sweet
25-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Awww they are gorgeous, just look at that fur!

Cannot wait for pics x

yola
25-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Cats with perms LOL!!!

They are lovely looking kitties aren't they. I'm quite excited that we're going to have one here :D

Soupie
25-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Pousse is all growly at the moment so I am spending lots of time with her and giving her treats and cuddles ;)

Quando (TICA Champion Catbalu Quando to give him his full title) is settling in fine - he likes sitting on the window sill in "his" room at night and during the day he sleeps under the bed although he comes out for fuss and cudddles when I call him. He's pretty soppy and I think he will be the submissive one but very nervous about introducing them and wondering now if I have done the right thing.

Plan is to open his door once I receive all clear from vet and just leave it - not pushing any contact with either of them. The room he is in is the spare one and Pousse rarely goes in there. I thought by doing that they will investigate each other in their own time? What do you think? I will feed them seperately and have separate poo palaces for the moment ;)

All advice welcomed - the support I've had from you all has been very much appreciated :)

Fran
25-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Congratulations on your new arrival!!! I hope all goes well at the vets and with the introduction to Pousse :D

Mags
25-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Soupie, have you got a cage you can put Quando in, bring it into the room with Pousse and let her sniff round the cage and get used to his smell before you introduce them both face to face?

dinahsmum
25-06-2007, 11:43 AM
My sister has a Devon Rex because they're not as allergy-provoking to her allergic OH. I don't know the difference between them and Selkirk, so I'm looking forward to seeing Quando's pic (don't know when though - :roll: poor multilingual pun)

Soupie
25-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Soupie, have you got a cage you can put Quando in, bring it into the room with Pousse and let her sniff round the cage and get used to his smell before you introduce them both face to face?

I have my travel carrier? Would that be ok?

My sister has a Devon Rex because they're not as allergy-provoking to her allergic OH. I don't know the difference between them and Selkirk, so I'm looking forward to seeing Quando's pic (don't know when though - :roll: poor multilingual pun)

Selkirks are not hypoallergenic and have a longer coat I believe :) There are some pics on former owner's website
www.british-shorthair.org.uk :cool:

Moli
25-06-2007, 12:03 PM
They are beauties, first time I have seen one of those, I used a cage to introduce kittens......Looking forward to seeing your new boy!:D

Mags
25-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I have my travel carrier? Would that be ok?

Yes, that should be ok to start with ........good luck, it may take a while before Pousse is happy with the new situation..;)

dinahsmum
25-06-2007, 12:07 PM
He is lovely.
More like the feline equivalent of a flat coated retriever, whereas the Devon/Cornish have very tight perms :) . One of my sister's former ones was called ET, he was so 'different' looking. :roll:

Soupie
25-06-2007, 12:17 PM
DM his coat will get curlier - they don't come into their full curls until 3 and it's hard to tell from pictures of a black cat what their coat looks like lol! His chest and traousers are quite tight curls but his body has not got all its curls yet :)

dinahsmum
25-06-2007, 12:23 PM
DM his coat will get curlier - they don't come into their full curls until 3 and it's hard to tell from pictures of a black cat what their coat looks like lol! His chest and traousers are quite tight curls but his body has not got all its curls yet :)
I've been off for a Google image search. You're right - they are much longer haired. Look at this pic i found
[attach-center]502[/attach-center]

Jac
25-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Owww fantastic another new arrival!!! He will be fine with Pousse I'm sure.
Looking forward to photo's. Congratulations.

mable1718
25-06-2007, 07:19 PM
fab cant wait for pics

charliebubs
26-06-2007, 11:49 AM
How exciting Soupie!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't just leave the door open and leave them to it - as they may fly at each other and that would be a really bad start.

A cage is definitely the best way to introduce until Pousse gets used to the new one.

If you could start scent-swapping now too, that would be good. i.e take a blanket from the spare room that smells of Quando and put it with Pousse, and take one that smells of Pousse and put it in the spare room. If you do this a few times over the next couple of days then they will get used to the scent of each other.

Just take it slow!!

Best of luck and can't wait for photos!!!! :):):)

tazz
27-06-2007, 05:24 PM
cant wait to see the pic i think he is going to be fine