PDA

View Full Version : will neutering stop this behaviour?

JBalways2000
23-06-2007, 12:18 PM
im planning on getting my boys booked in to be snipped in the next couple of weeks anyway(they are about 10 months old now) but wondered if it would stop some of the bahaviour problems i have seen lately.

firstly, AJ has been the toilet outside of the litter tray a few times lately even when it is spotlessly clean-could this be a terroritary thing? might i just add that it isnt just weeing he is doing:roll:

im also having a couple of problems with Raven where by he has been biting and scratching quite a bit when hes in a bad mood. i can usually tell when he is and leave him well alone but the other day he bit me so hard that it left red marks-and hurt!(the little git lol) is this just another hormonal thing or is he just a grumpy kitty?

i have noticed the boys, especially AJ playing a little too rough together to the point where im finding clumps of fur on the floor-they have never hurt one another that i can tell and up to a few weeks ago they were play fighting as usual and even now when they are not doing that they are best of friends so i figured it was another hormonal problem.

and last but not least-the humping!! the last couple of weeks i have caught the boys humping each other more times then i would have liked and i really am hoping this is something that will go away as its not a pretty sight OR sound:lol: :oops: :lol:

Jac
23-06-2007, 12:29 PM
As far as I know doing the toilet thing is his stamp of top cat. He leaves his smelly deposits to prove he's "there".
The humping:shock: should be sorted by getting them done.
Not sure about the biting though.

Remember it isnt an instant "fix" It takes about 8 weeks for the hormones to settle down.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

JBalways2000
23-06-2007, 12:34 PM
oh i know it will take a while for the hormones to settle(had bunnies and rats neutered before) which is why i want them done asap!:lol: im glad most of the problems will be sorted through doing it though.

As for Ravens biting, hes always been the typical"il have fuss when i want fuss" type of cat and has always been a bit nippy and scratchy to let us know when hes had enough etc he just seemed to be getting a bit worse with it rather then better the silly thing!

wow, cant believe that AJ is the top cat to be honest. i mean i know hes the rougher of the two when they fight and hes definately bigger but hes so dosey and soft in the head!:lol: Raven definately out smarts him:lol:

dinahsmum
23-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds like your house will be calmer when the hormones are gone!
Good luck

Tanya
23-06-2007, 01:07 PM
When I had my cat neutered at about 5 months old,(he had car flu, so needed to overcome that before his op) the vet said it would take the lion out of the cat! He said Oli would stay more kitten like. Im not sure if this is still the case when the cats are older and have already gained some of their male 'bad habits'.

Your best bet would be to discuss your cats behaviour with your vet and see what he/she suggests. :)

Elaine
23-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds very much to me like your little boys have become big boys:lol:
As Jac says the middening is a sign of marking territory. Cats will probabluy alway have fights and there will be tufts of hair from time to time but if left un-neutered it may become more violent.
The humping might not stop altogether as it is a sign of dominance but again by having them neutered it may calm down quite a bit.

dinahsmum
23-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Does anyone who is well-up on cat psychology know what the view is on keeping litter mates together? I hadn't thought of it before, with regard to cats, but I know dog experts say it is not a good thing to keep 2 litter-mates of the same sex as there are constant battles over who is top dog. The problems come because the animals are so closely matched it is difficult for one to become the undisputed top dog.
It's not the same with cats is it? They are not natural pack animals after all

Elaine
23-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Not sure, but if a queen has been mated more than once by several Toms over her estrus cycle then the kittens may not be quite as closely conected by genes.
I could be wrong though.

mable1718
23-06-2007, 09:33 PM
i really cant help so i hope everyone else advice is better than mine

Booktigger
25-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Male/male combinations aren't too bad, female/female can be a bad idea though. I think it depends more on the personalities than them being litter mates though. WE home litter mates together and haven't heard of any issues, in fact the rescue lady has a brother and sister and they are fine together.

I Love Simba
15-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Male/male combinations aren't too bad, female/female can be a bad idea though. I think it depends more on the personalities than them being litter mates though. WE home litter mates together and haven't heard of any issues, in fact the rescue lady has a brother and sister and they are fine together.

Female/Female combinations aren't bad either because I have had 2 female cats with 2 years difference in age and they were best buddies but they are dead now.:(
I think it depends on the cats personalities.:)