PDA

View Full Version : cat flap query.................

charliebubs
21-06-2007, 08:10 PM
When I move into my new house I will need to put a cat flap in for my babies; the problem is that there isn't a back door as such. The only access into the garden is French doors, which are double glazed.

I know that you can put cat flaps in glass, but can you have them put in double-glazed glass??? :?

My cat flap now is in a double-glazed door, but it's in the UPVC part, not the glass.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to take a brick out of the back wall and put the cat flap through the wall :shock:

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :roll:

Mags
21-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Our cat flap is in a UPVC door as well......sorry I can't help you about having one in glass ....:?

alexgirl73
21-06-2007, 09:03 PM
here you go charlie

http://www.adamsglass.co.uk/catflaps/catflaps-fitted-in-glass.htm

charliebubs
21-06-2007, 09:13 PM
here you go charlie

http://www.adamsglass.co.uk/catflaps/catflaps-fitted-in-glass.htm

Brilliant - thanks Alex!!! :)

I didn't realise it would be quite that expensive tho :oops: :(

alexgirl73
21-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Shop around a bit, phone up a local glazier and ask them!

Moli
21-06-2007, 09:59 PM
We had one years ago that went through the wall into a little tunnel and anotherr one on the outside wall...

Fran
21-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I've just had two new cat flaps put in both through walls. I think you can get cat flaps for sliding glass doors but I would imagine you would need to have the flap fitted at the time you had the window made??

dinahsmum
22-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Look for people who 'mend' double glazing rather than the firms who supply and fit.
Or have it put in the wall, as others have suggested.

charliebubs
22-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I've just called the company in the link that Alex provided and asked them how it works. They have said that you cannot cut a hole in double glazed glass, as it is toughened and would just break. So, you have to have a new piece of toughened glass made for the window or door with a hole already in it for the cat flap - made-to-measure.
They come and take the measurements one day and then within 3-4 days they have the glass made-to-measure and come back to fit it.

It seems great - apart from the cost :shock:

She has quoted me £279 plus VAT including the fitting and everything :shock:

Does anyone know how much it costs to have the hole made in a wall for a cat flap?!?!?!?!

charliebubs
22-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Here is a pic of the offending area!!! :roll:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/charliebubs/austinst111.jpg

dinahsmum
22-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't have thought it would be as much as that quote. However, there will probably be damage to the plasterwork on the inside which may need redecorating - or a well-matched 'touch up'.
If you think about moving on (before you've even moved in!) a hole in the glass door will prob be less of a 'no-no) than a hole in the wall to non cat people.
The glass quote looks a bit high to me. I'm sure I've seen ads ofering it from £40 (maybe that's single glazed?). I'll see if I can find anything and get back.

charliebubs
22-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks DM - I know that single glazed is much cheaper and that's what I thought the patio doors were until I double checked on Wednesday :roll:

Jac
22-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Seems a lot of Money Charlie. Why don't you try some smaller local glaziers? May be a bit cheaper.

Mags
22-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I think you'll find that cat flap manufacturers recommend this should only be done at the time the glass unit is manufactured, Charlie...

Have you got a local double glazing company you could ask how much it would cost to have a new double glazed door with the appropriate size hole made for the cat flap?

It should also be a lot cheaper if you ask for a quote from a local glazier....;)

dinahsmum
22-06-2007, 01:46 PM
From my reading around I get the impression that the consensus is Don't Do IT as far as getting it in a double glazed pane is concerned.
So, you need a proper builder, with a proper builders drill with a huge bit/cutter, like they'd use to pass a pipe through a wall or install a vent-axia. Shouldn't take more than half an hour ... most difficult thing will probably finding someone to do such a small job

charliebubs
22-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I think you'll find that cat flap manufacturers recommend this should only be done at the time the glass unit is manufactured, Charlie...

Have you got a local double glazing company you could ask how much it would cost to have a new double glazed door with the appropriate size hole made for the cat flap?

It should also be a lot cheaper if you ask for a quote from a local glazier....;)

Yes, that is what they said Mags. They manufacture a new piece of glass to measure - with the hole for the cat flap in it.

I will get other quotes once I have the exact measurements of the glass that I need. At the moment the measurements are only approximate, as I only measured the french doors for the purposes of curtains!!! :roll:

charliebubs
22-06-2007, 04:10 PM
From my reading around I get the impression that the consensus is Don't Do IT as far as getting it in a double glazed pane is concerned.
So, you need a proper builder, with a proper builders drill with a huge bit/cutter, like they'd use to pass a pipe through a wall or install a vent-axia. Shouldn't take more than half an hour ... most difficult thing will probably finding someone to do such a small job

Yes, you are right to an extent. From what I have read they do say don't do it, as in don't make a hole for a cat-flap in existing double glazing. However, as the company I spoke to said..........they can make a new piece of double-glazed toughened glass with the hole created at the time of manufacture, so it is strengthened etc at that time.

It just makes it more expensive. :roll: :?

dinahsmum
22-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Think the wall will be cheaper - and if you put the flap behind the curtain the cats will be able to get in and out fine but the cat flap won't show from inside the room. And you won't get a draught! The cats will soon get used to feeling their way out from yards of curtain material! :D

Fran
22-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Regarding a hole in the wall. I really don't know what you would expect to pay for this type of work Charlie, hubby did mine, both of them and I can tell you the air was more than a little bit blue :shock: whilst the work was in progress!! :roll:

I reckon your best bet would be to get a smaller builder / handyperson to give you a quote rather than going to one of the bigger building companies.

charliebubs
22-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Regarding a hole in the wall. I really don't know what you would expect to pay for this type of work Charlie, hubby did mine, both of them and I can tell you the air was more than a little bit blue :shock: whilst the work was in progress!! :roll:

How much does he charge!?!?!?! lol

:-D :-D

dinahsmum
22-06-2007, 04:36 PM
CB
Your best bet, if you go down the hole in the wall avenue, would be to use your youthful womanly charms to persuade a couple of chaps from a big building firm to 'do a foreigner' and do the work for you. That way they can 'borrow' the heavy duty drill they will need and get the job done in no time. Flutter your eyelashes, tell them you'd be eternally greatful and ask what they'd charge?
And I think just to be extra prudent, I'd ask your Dad to be in the house when they come to do it.

alexgirl73
22-06-2007, 05:20 PM
lol @ DM!!! Hope you manage to get it sorted soon Charlie and at a decent price!!

charliebubs
10-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I've made a decision on this!!!!!!!!!

As luck would have it (kind of!!) I had to have my front window taken out of the new house on Friday so that I could get my sofas into the house (they were too big for the door :roll: )

Anyway - the double glazing company that came to take the window out were chatting to me and I asked them if they make their own glass. He said yes, so I asked if they could make me a piece of toughened double-glazed glass with a hole for a cat flap in. He said yes!!!! He took the measurements there and then and called me today with the quote..................£192 all in!!!! :)

I know that sounds expensive, but i had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to pay for it and the other company that quoted me quoted £327 all in.............and I would have paid that :shock: :roll:

Fate has stepped in!!!!!!!! :):):):)

Fran
10-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Good news!! well not the fact that you have to have your window taken out to get the sofa in :roll: but pleased that the catflap is going to be sorted :cool:

Moli
10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
What a good idea, and not a bad price either....once thats in the cats can start to explore their new home...

Mags
10-07-2007, 02:12 PM
That's good news Charlie........ so having sofas that were too big, proved to be a blessing in disguise!! :lol:

mable1718
10-07-2007, 03:54 PM
thats good news charlie

dinahsmum
10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Glad the move went OK and the cat flap issue is resolved too!