PDA

View Full Version : Ipods

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Does anybody have one? would you recommend them?

Erin
20-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes they are brilliant Emma,I wouldnt never be without one now.
I have the pink ipod nano at the moment and it fab :)

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 07:59 PM
What size is your harddrive Erin??

I wasn't very keen on them as I don't listen to a great deal of music, but I have got the power walking bug, and I understand you can get a radio attachement so I can load whatever songs I want and also listen to the radio.

Any downside to them??

Erin
20-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Mine is 2gb Em,I didnt know you could get a radio attachement but will be getting one,thanks for the tip.

I absolutely love mine,the only down side I can think off is not being able to take in on holiday because not being able to re charge it if it goes flat,as far as im aware it can only be charged via a computer or laptop.
But that can also be seen as a good point,I used to just have an mp3 and spent loads on batteries!!!

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks Erin, what about the cost of the music is it a lot???

Also do you have to download music from I-tunes? or can you upload music already on your computer?

Erin
20-06-2007, 08:10 PM
you can upload off you pc,you dont have to use itune.
I download all my stuff for free.I have never paid to download music.

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Erin,

Are you sure about not being able to charge your ipod abroad?? there are loads of travel charges on the Apple website,

I came across this one.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9466BDF0&nplm=TF438

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Erin, where do you download your music from??

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 08:15 PM
There is also this charger, which looks quite nifty

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=94697142&nplm=TL287

Erin
20-06-2007, 08:16 PM
thanks for that link Em,ill have alook,i didnt know you could charge it other ways.
I getall my music from Limewire,you have to install it on your computer,its really fast :)

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Erin!!!

Erin
20-06-2007, 08:18 PM
no worries :)

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I had thought about getting one, but to use instead of my CD player, which is on its last legs...I dislike listening to music with earphones. Had quite a discussion with Luke via PM re them, he's very informative, but I found it s little complicated...not sure if I'm up to the complexity. I suppose I'll have to get one eventually; I have no problems with paying for the music. If you're just using it as a music player in the house, it'll run on house current so no bother with batteries or recharging. Emma, let me know if you get one and how you get along with it, please!

Erin
20-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Eileen you can get little speakers for them,they are really powerfull for the size too :)

mable1718
20-06-2007, 09:08 PM
i have an ipod and they are excellent

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Yes, that's one of the things I discussed with Luke. I'd just want it to play in the house to replace my CD player. With the iPod I could just copy the tracks I like...it's annoying on a CD when only a few songs are the ones you want, but you have to listen to the while thing...but the way Luke described it, the whole process isn't sas simple as I had assumed it would be...

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 09:59 PM
hmmm leaning towards an ipod although my OH is saying I am a fashion victim!!! lol what does he know ??? :)

Eileen I know loads of people with Ipods and they all love them. I didn't realise until this weekend that you can get the radio attachment for them

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Emma, I thought all I had to do was buy one and the speakers; then make a list of the songs I wanted, go to iTunes, pay for and download them, plug in the iPod to the computer, and that was it. Seems it's not that simple.....

Tom
20-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Yep, Yep and YEP!!! I love my ipod so much lol I take it everywhere haha! I have the Ipod Video but also have an adapter so i can charge it via a house plug socker rather than on Itunes... I would deffo recommend one!! :D

Also to add... I have got the radio adapter but tbh its not worth the money as you cannot get very good signals and so i never use the radio tbh!

Tom :D

EmmaG
20-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Eileen, I think it is that simple, from what Erin says you can also download your music from Limewire and transfer this to your Ipod - A friend has just told me that it is very easy to transfer your music to the ipod.

Tom
20-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Eileen, I think it is that simple, from what Erin says you can also download your music from Limewire and transfer this to your Ipod - A friend has just told me that it is very easy to transfer your music to the ipod.
Yep thats true... but it gets complicated how u actually get the music on.. Either by Sync or by copy and paste and Itunes can get very complicated..

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I thought I'd saved those PMs to and from Luke re the iPod, but discover I'd deleted them. I've forgotten now what the obstacle seemed to be...this was last year ...maybe someone here when she/he has a minute could describe step by step what you do once you have it and are ready to download (upload?) to the iPod...I'd appreciate it...

Tom
20-06-2007, 10:21 PM
when you have purchased the ipod, it will come with a disk in which you have to put into your computer and install the software (itunes) when all is done you will be able to import your music by file add file from and select your music from file.. optionally you can buy and download the music from the itunes store 79 p ish a track... then you can connect your ipod and there should be some onscreen instrusctions on what to do to setup your ipod.. then you should be able to 'sync' your ipod which will basically transfer all your music to your ipod.

That should be it.. i don't know if thats exactly how you do it as i got my ipod ages ago and installed it but its along those kind of lines :)

Tom xx:D

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 10:26 PM
OKaay, Tom. that doesn't sound too bad! Maybe I'll get my nerve up (you know only too well how skittish I am about trying new things on the computer!!) and come into the new world of music. What's the least complicated, fewest bells-and-whistles model of iPod?

Mags
20-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Tom, do you need Broadband ?

Tom
20-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Hehe good luck!! :D xx

Tom
20-06-2007, 10:36 PM
No Mags :)

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Are you thinking of getting one, Mags?

Mags
20-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Are you thinking of getting one, Mags?
No not in the near future Eileen but I was following your chat on here and just wondered if it was necessary to have Broadband as I'm sure you said you didn't have it... I think you should go for your Ipod, have confidence...remember how you were scared of Firefox at one time ;) You can do it Eileen if you set your mind to it, I know you can:D

dandysmom
20-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Lord yes, Mags, I was really nervous about Firefox, and then about having to install some software to use my new camera...I am such a wimp! But did manage to do both of them and so very glad I did. It would be nice to have just your favorite music on an iPod to listen to...I hate earphones, would use it with speakers in the house...I always have music on. the radio or CDs. Maybe I'll go on line after dinner and do a little research.......the more you know about something the less scary it is.....

Mags
20-06-2007, 11:03 PM
That's a good idea Eileen, there is bound to be lots of info on them.....it's like tackling the unknown isn't it ;)

Fran
21-06-2007, 07:28 AM
I know nothing about ipods except that Tom has a video one and Em has a pink one :roll: But what has crossed my mind reading through this thread is, if you are not on Broadband, wouldn't it take ages to download tracks onto your pc from the internet??

Fran
21-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Regarding the speakers, Em has a hi fi in her bedroom that has an ipod port on it, so she can play her ipod through the hi-fi...

dinahsmum
21-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Listen - if I can do it anyone can!
And the little speakers you get to go with them are amazingly good.
That said, I use mine very rarely - plane journeys etc. I don't really like music (or speech - plenty of radio podcasts available) 'straight into my ears'.

Mags
21-06-2007, 08:59 AM
I know nothing about ipods except that Tom has a video one and Em has a pink one :roll: But what has crossed my mind reading through this thread is, if you are not on Broadband, wouldn't it take ages to download tracks onto your pc from the internet??

I asked Tom that last night if you needed Broadband Fran and he said "No" :?

Fran
21-06-2007, 11:05 AM
[/b]
I asked Tom that last night if you needed Broadband Fran and he said "No" :?

Well I don't think you would need to have Broadband, you should still be able to download tracks on dial-up but I'm wondering if you don't have it how long it would take to download tracks. I should imagine it would take rather a long time :?

charliebubs
21-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I know I'm late joining in, but I have to say that I have an iPod too and I love it!!!!! :)

It's great for holidays and travelling and going to the gym. Also I have an iTrip, which means that I can play it through the radio too (either in the car or at home on my stereo).

My ex also had some kind of gadget that meant he could plug it into the TV and listen to it through the TV speakers :?

I say "go for it"!!!

I only use iTunes for my music, which I know probably isn't the cheapest option, but it is the easiest and I'm downright lazy!!! lol

I have also uploaded all my CD's onto my laptop and then onto my iPod - so I have all those to listen to too.

It's great for audiobooks too Eileen!!! ;)

dandysmom
21-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Well I don't think you would need to have Broadband, you should still be able to download tracks on dial-up but I'm wondering if you don't have it how long it would take to download tracks. I should imagine it would take rather a long time :?
Fran, I download stuff that takes a long time after dinner, when it's the wee small hours there and there's no one to chat to! Except the spiders! Not that I download much. I do Photobucket stuff after dinner also, as that is very slow, I much prefer the Catsey resizer/uploader, but sometimes the pics are too big, so am forced to use PB.
I found a good tutorial on how to use iPod last night; quite involved so I just bookmarked it to read today in leisure. Thank all for your helpful comments!

EmmaG
29-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Well I finally splashed out on a 4gb Silver Ipod Nano, also got the radio with it as well, very impressed so far :)

Tom
29-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Very good aren't they!! I love mine hehe! :D

EmmaG
29-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Tom it is fantastic (and I am not a great listener of music:) ) just listenening to John Grisham - Street Lawyer audio book

Tom
29-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I have this one, Emma :D

http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/13116ipod.jpg

EmmaG
29-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Very nice Tom, is that the Ipod Video???

Tom
29-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Yep! I think its great! Although the battery doesn't last that long anymore.. :)

EmmaG
29-07-2007, 05:47 PM
lol, I did think about getting the Video one, but I didn't think I would use that part of it enough, I wanted something that I could use when out walking. I think it is brilliant!!!