PDA

View Full Version : Just Found Something Out And Wanted To Share

Jess751
19-06-2007, 11:42 PM
OK so I work at a pet supplies store and a lady came in and showed me that all foods must listed this:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/3002/dsc0131jj2.jpg

Some foods say that it was made to meet the requirements but doesnt say that it was tested by feeding it to cats (in this case). Obviously if it was tested then it is better than something that is just supposed to meet the requirements.

Also the other thing is that some foods say that it was fortified for all life stages. When something is made for all life stages then it is a kitten (again in this case) food becuase thats what the compainies are required to make at minimum. I found this on adult cat food!! :shock: So its not really an adult food but a kitten food with an adult label!! :shock: Some the food comapinies are doing this because its cheaper than making a food for each and every life stage. But, like on the food I showed above, there are a few types of food out there that are made for all life stages and tested before coming on market.

Just wanted to share. After talking with this lady I decided to switch my pet food to something that is better quality.

(And to avoid confusion, most kitten (again in this case) food will say for all life stages because you also feed it to help put weight on an adult cat or to a lactating/pregnant adult female. The adult and senior should, however, say for adult or for senior.)

alexgirl73
20-06-2007, 08:30 AM
very confusing. I never read the label tbh, as I dont understand them!

dinahsmum
20-06-2007, 08:34 AM
It is very confusing. And you can't even guarantee that paying more gets you a better food.

Fran
20-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes, very confusing! and as DM says paying more doesn't always guarantee you a better product

Mags
20-06-2007, 12:15 PM
How confusing.......must admit that I don't always read the labels either :?

Jess751
20-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Thats why its worded that way, so that it is confusing and you will just ignore it. As far as paying more and getting a better food, I was paying $25 for a 15 pounds bag of my adult cat food and I am now paying $21 for a 20 pound bag. So you are all right.