PDA

View Full Version : Fudge has been in a R.T.A ....

Tanya
19-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I have been at my mums all weekend, so have had no chance to get online. Anyway, heres the story ...

I called by my nans on Friday evening for her to tell me she 'thought' that Fudge had been in a fight because her back looked funny. Fudge hadnt been home at all the day before and ran upstairs as soon as she went home Friday. Anyway, as soon as a I saw Fudge I realised that she had been hot by a car. She had a bad face (cuts and blood), her tail looked broken and she wasnt very happy when I touched her leg.

I took her to the vets straight away, to have conformed what I had suggested to my nan. Unfortunately, the vet also said that her pelvic area was badly bruised, which meant that she didnt know when she needed to have a wee. The vet squeezed her bladder to empty it, and saod that it may have been fatal if she had been left any longer.

She was given a jab for shock and another one (not sure what for :roll: ). The vet showed me how to empty her bladder and I took her back to my nans.

Nan had to lock her in the shed (with a window!!), so that she couldnt escape and get hurt again. My nan tried to empty her bladder Saturday morning, but couldnt do it, so took her back to the vets.

Fudge then stayed at the vets until this morning (Tuesday), when I picked her up. I couldnt stand her being locked in the cage any longer and also the veterinary nurse was useless. Unfortunately, Fudge still cant have a wee by herself, but she can poo. I have told my nan that if she cant empty Fudges bladder, to take her to the vets daily to be emptied. (the vet said she only needs to be emptied once daily)

The vet has suggested that there are some human tablets that may be able to help her to wee again. The problem is that the manager of the vets is the one that needs to arrange these tablets and she is on holiday until next week. This means that we have to empty her bladder daily until these tablets arrive., We then need to hope that they work.

If this problem is sorted, she will then have her tail amputated. :(

Has anybody ever come across a cat with pelvic bruising? Any suggestions? She is happy to be 'squeezed', but its not very nice for the poor girl. I am really hoping that these tablets help.

Positive vibes for Fudge please

Tanya xxx

kado
19-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh i am so sorry for poor fudge. She certainley is a little fighter. Sending loads of good vibes

jane

Mags
19-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh dear Tanya, I'm so sorry to hear about Fudge....I hope she will get better soon for you..

That is a bit of a nuisance you having to empty her bladder every day....I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Sam, my previous cat, broke his pelvis once. We had to cage him for 6 weeks so that he didn't move about too much. But even the day after with a broken pelvis, he used to drag himself into his litter tray and go wees in it. In his case it was poos that he couldn't do but we got round that with some medicine.

I hope you will be able to get hold of these tablets soon, I shouldn't think it was very comfortable for her beeing squeezed every day:(

EmmaG
19-06-2007, 07:13 PM
awww poor little mite :(

Arthur was hit by a car (so we think) a couple of years ago, his hips were dislocated from his spine and he had to have cage rest, I set him up in a large dog crate which worked very well. His lower jaw had split in two as well and this was wired together. He made a full recovery.

Is there any chance you can get a large dog crate to put her in??

Jac
19-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Sorry cant offer any help love but sending vibes by the mountain full. I really hope Fudge recovers.

yola
19-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Tanya - that is so frightening for you and your nan, and of course for poor Fudge too :(

May I just suggest you maybe have a quick word with another vet? This squeezing business seems a bit odd to me. I've not had a cat with this problem before, but I do know people whose cats have been in accidents with subsequent pelvic problems and this has never been an issue.

Either way, I hope Fudge makes a quick and full recovery - poor little love.

Elaine
19-06-2007, 07:46 PM
So very sorry to hear the news about poor Fudge. Sending loads of possitive vibes for a full and speedy recovery xxx

Erin
19-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Im so sorry to hear about fudge,lots of healing vibes coming your way xxx

alexgirl73
19-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Poor fudge, and you!! Sending loads of healing vibes to her!! ((hugs))

Donna
19-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Hoping for a quick recovery for Fudge. Must of been a real worry for you x

ambermoonbeam
19-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Sending lots and lots of good healing vibes to Fudge from all of us

I hope his recovery is a speedy one

tilly
19-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I have heard of people having to express cats bladders before and they seemed to get along just fine.
I hope it isn't permenant though and i am sorry she isn't well. I ma sending healing vibes by the bucket full. ((HUGS)) and take care

Sally

Moli
19-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Sad to read about poor Fudge, sending loads of healing vibes your way...

Kazz
19-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Best wishes for Fudge, no advice but best wishes.

Fran
19-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Sending lots of love and healing vibes to Fudge x

MrsH
19-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Poor Fudge she must be so uncomfortable, hope the bladder problem gets sorted soon.

Kim
19-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear about Fudge, hope she makes a big improvement soon.

dinahsmum
20-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Best wishes to Fudge and to you. Like many others here, I knew a cat that made a full recovery from a broken pelvis.

Tanya
20-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, Fudge is back in the vets again. Nan couldnt squeeze her, so has left her there again. :(

Fran
20-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, I do hope the vets will come up with something to help Fudge x

sarahd
20-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Fingers crossed and lots of hugs for you too

Hope Fudge gets well soon

Sarah
x

Booktigger
20-06-2007, 01:34 PM
So sorry to hear this, I do hope that she can regain her bladder use quickly, have the vets given an indication how long it could take?

Tanya
20-06-2007, 04:41 PM
The manager is on holiday until next week - so we have to wait until then for her to order the tablets. Then there is the possibility that they wont work. Poor girl - I really hope they do work!

The vet has suggested that her nerves have been damaged and that is why she doesnt realise when she needs a wee. To be honest, the outcome doesnt look bright. But, she is so young and such a lovely girl, that I just need to think positively - for her sake. :)

Sweet
20-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Sending ((((((hugs)))))) and positive vibes from all of us here in Bristol, and sending both you and your Nan a ((((((hug))))) too x

Fran
20-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I have everything crossed here for Fudge's recovery x

Amber
20-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Only just caught this thread - so sorry to hear about poor little Fudge's ordeal :( if the nerves in that area have been damaged then there is nothing to send the signal to her brain that she needs to wee which is why she is unable to do it at the moment. We have a few clients who have had to express their cat's bladder and unfortunately a lot of them don't manage to do it as it has to be squeezed in a certain way and in a certain position.

Really hope the vets get the tablets as soon as they can for you and that they work for the little girl. Gentle hugs to Fudge xxxx