PDA

View Full Version : Knit your own cat? :-)

Hreow
19-06-2007, 05:13 PM
https://homepages.force9.net/ethknits/Sirdar/Patterns/Sirdar-Toys/2094-siamese-cat.jpg
Or perhaps dog:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4238/1041/1600/yorkie.jpg

Think I'll stick to socks, scarves, sweaters and Rover. :-)
Rover really enjoys knitting, or rather catching and eating the yarn. ^_^

And for those of you with a mind in the gutter (welcome, I'll try to make room. :grin:), the last line refers to the amount of yarn. Trust me, I checked. :-D

Mags
19-06-2007, 05:15 PM
That's an extremely good likeness for a knitted toy.....

Hreow
19-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh I agree. But I can't see myself achieving the same likeness. ^^

random
19-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow they are good aren't they?!

Mags
19-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Are there any pattern instructions to go with them Hreow?

Hreow
19-06-2007, 05:28 PM
My awe and admiration of you just bounced up another notch, Mags. I bet you *could* knit them.
They're bought patterns from here:
https://homepages.force9.net/ethknits/Sirdar/Patterns/SIRDAR-PATTERNS-22.htm

Peachy Ethknits are still up and running, so they might still have these.

Jac
19-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Are there any pattern instructions to go with them Hreow?

Great minds Mags, I was going to ask that. I quite fancy having a go at the cat for Ceilidh. I'm sure she'd love it.

Mags
19-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Very interesting......I may send away for a couple of those patterns!:-D

Jac
19-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I think my local wool shop has the book. She stocks allot of Sirdar wool. If she doesn't have it she'll get it.
She's the right old fashioned shop. No till, writes on paper and knows all her customers. Seemingly she's 80ish and keeps the shop going because if she didn't she wouldn't see anyone.

Will let you know later on in the week as I have an Arron to knit.

Mags
19-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I think my local wool shop has the book. She stocks allot of Sirdar wool. If she doesn't have it she'll get it.
She's the right old fashioned shop. No till, writes on paper and knows all her customers. Seemingly she's 80ish and keeps the shop going because if she didn't she wouldn't see anyone.

Will let you know later on in the week as I have an Arron to knit.
Wool shops seem to be few and far between in our neck of the woods Jac, it's nice to know one has survived by you!:D

Jac
19-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Mags, It's so nice. She puts the wool in a paper bag, climbs ladders to get to the stock and know's her customers by name. The only thing is when you go in you have to have at least half an hour spare. She loves to chat:lol: .
Its the only place that I know sells real wool 2ply. Oh and the old Arran with the oily smell on hanks!

Mags
19-06-2007, 06:33 PM
It sounds a quaint Olde Tyme place Jac.......you don't see many like that these days!

Hreow
19-06-2007, 06:45 PM
No. My wool-place is new and run by a nice, chatty man who also does rock-climbing. I estimate about an hour for a visit. :-D He's good about getting stuff in for me, and I'm quite happy. It's nothing like yours though. Would be even better.

Jac
19-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I think it's the only old time wool shop in Edinburgh. It's called Dainty Land. Wouldn't expect her to have a web site she doesn't even have a calculator let alone a till:-D She has a drawer for her money and does the adding up in her head or on a bit paper.
Come to think about it for an old lady she is really taking a risk!.
Oh and she makes cups of tea for the people in the shops around her. She really is a sweetie.
She know's me as Jacquie that knits arrans and shawls:lol:

mable1718
19-06-2007, 08:25 PM
they look interesting and cool

dandysmom
19-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Isn't it sad to see the demise of old shops like that with personal service? :( We had a lovely wool shop here years ago when I was doing needlepoint and crewel...there is a McDonalds there now...somehow I don't fancy trying to match yarn on a web site...

Fran
20-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Oh, I love the Siamese cat one!! How I wish I could knit :(

My mum is very good at knitting but arthritic fingers have stopped her recently :(

Hreow
20-06-2007, 03:14 PM
My mum is very good at knitting but arthritic fingers have stopped her recently :(

That's stopped my mum as well. I remember her, knitting advanced lace and multi-coloured patterns while watching tv (and not watching the knitting nor pattern). It put me off knitting for years as I felt very slow and clumsy next to her. :grin:
I'm knitting an entrelac stole for her, but I'm not sure I'll give it to her. My knitting has improved, but I know she really, really misses being able to knit... and it somehow feels a bit ...wrong. Have to sort my head out one way our another about that. Being my mum she may just love it because of the thought I've put into it and because it has helped me to make it. Tricky.

Kim
20-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow, they are really good!