PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Soupie
15-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Help! I am completely undecided about this. A while ago I posted about fancying doing some cat showing - unfortunately Pousse is not suited tempramentally or physically to showing so I can't have a play with her.

She is graudally getting much less timid and more affectionate - to the extent I had ten people in my two bed flat the other night and while she didn't join us in the lounge, she didn't run and hide but was happily curled up on my bed ;)

I have no idea how she would be with another cat other than she used to share a house with another cat when she was a bit younger. Now I have seen two cats advertised which are both good with other cats - they are both if I recall correctly fine for showing - british shorthair and a type of rex cat. I am interested in the british shorthair who will come to me as a neutered male.

What do you think? do I take the plunge or not?

alexgirl73
15-06-2007, 01:10 PM
You never know until you try! Would you be able to take the cat on a trial basis to see if Pousse would accept him?

Jac
15-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeh go for it!!!! she'll come round and even may enjoy the company eventually... Go for it.:D

dinahsmum
15-06-2007, 01:35 PM
If you can have a fortnight's trial., I'd say go for it. Might do Pousse a lot of good.

tilly
15-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I can't see any harm in having another cat if Pousse is OK with living with another one. It might help bring her out of her shell.

Sally

Animagus
15-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I dont see the harm and cats do eventually come around to sharing their space. just make sure you dont make too much of a fuss over the new cat and forget Pousse.

GO FOR IT GIRL

Mags
15-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I would be tempted to have him on a few weeks trial to see how they get on together. You would need at least a couple of weeks for Pousse to get used to having another cat in your flat and to see if she accepts him.

I agree with the others though that it may be just what Pousse needs to help with her nervousness.

You should ensure that Pousse still gets most of the attention though....:)

charliebubs
15-06-2007, 03:09 PM
I think that as long as the introductions are done slowly and at Pousse's own pace then you shouldn't have a problem. Of course, not all cats like other cat company but I do think that most of them thrive from it. We can never replace the company of their own kind.

I think if you can have a trial period then that would be fantastic, but I'm not sure how a breeder would feel about that. :?

Best of luck though and I can certainly vouch for showing and how addictive it is!!!! ;) I can't get enough now!!!

mable1718
15-06-2007, 04:01 PM
if it was me i would go for it and try because you never no i might work

dandysmom
15-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I can't add anything to the excellent advice that's already been given! I hope it will work out OK for you and Pousse; do let us know what you decide.

Jac
15-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Bump...............What are you going to do????

Elaine
15-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I dont want to put a dampner on this for you Soupie and think you have had some good advice but...........
A trial period may be fine but it can take more than a few weeks for cats to accept one another. I am not trying to put a doom and gloom over this as I love nothing more than for people who genuinely love and care for cats to have as many as they can deal with. I just think that sometimes you have to air on the side of caution a little, weigh up the pro's and cons.
What if they dont get on? Would you be able to cope with 6 months of intros between them? It can sometimes take that long.
I know many people here havent had too many problems with introducing cats to other existing cats in the house hold and it seems to me that the more you have, sometimes the easier it is but talking from personal experience, it did take us 6 months to introduce Bernie into the home successfully. There were times when it was quite stressful and Graham wanted to give up but I persisted and we got there in the end. Not something I would rush into again in a hurry but if we had more space and our own garden etc I probably would go for it;)
Good luck, whatever you decide and I hope it works out well xxx

sillylilykitty
15-06-2007, 06:04 PM
If you do end up getting a new cat, dont forget to pay more attention to Pousse then the new cat. When my sister got a new kitten I kept going to see the new kitten and leaving my Lily outside the room. Lily would meow at me to come out and she knew I was with the new kitten. When we finally let the new kitten out to the rest of the house (Lily and the new kitten seeing each other face to face for the first time) Lily had a problem with the kitten. Anytime Lily was with me and the kitten came around Lily would kiss and bat at the kitten. So just never forget to give lots of attention to Pousse, otherwise it might take a little longer for the new cat to be accepted.

Lily did eventually warm up to the new cat.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/silly_lily_kitty/My%20silly%20Lily%20kitty/Picture322.jpg

Emm
16-06-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree with Elaine - I find it takes longer than a few weeks to properly integrate another cat in. I have found in the past all in all it takes a year for everything to settle back down as it was. Felix has now settled in (as best as hes going to!) with all the cats apart from Lao but I'm not stressing about it they need to find their own common ground - I know they will eventually!

Soupie
17-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice :)

Elaine I do see your point about being cautious but I am concerned about Pousse as now she has settled in she seems lonely and actively appears to "miss" company when I am at work. I am aware it may take some time to get a new cat settled and am prepared to put that time in as I believe it will be a benefit to Pousse - obviously I can't know for sure - I don't think anyone can but I had always intended to have two cats when I started looking in January. All I can do is try.

I have agreed to take on one of the cats but have gone for the slightly older cat - a 20 month neutered black male Selkirk Rex with a good show record. The breeder I am having the cat from is not a stranger to me and we have had a good discussion about the possible issues and her cats and Pousse and which is likely to settle better. Pousse will of course be top cat and get most attention and that side of it I should be able to handle fine as I remember how George my cat of a lifetime had to be cared for when we got the kittens and I have done it with George and 6 other different cats ;)

Thank you again everyone I really appreciate people taking the time to reply - I hope I have made the right decision - time will tell!

Elaine
17-06-2007, 06:47 PM
All the very best to you, Pousse and the new comer xxx
With cats, I think it can be very hard to judge just how they will get along and or react to a new comer which is why I said to be cautous.
Sounds to me though that you are taking all the ifs and buts seriously (dont mean to sound patronising).
Wishing you all the very best and I DO hope it all goes smoothly for every one concerned xxx

tilly
17-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Hope it all works out let us knwo how is goes.

Sally

alexgirl73
17-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Let us know how you get on, and hope it all goes smoothly!

dandysmom
17-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Sounds as if you've done your homework and have done this before, so hope it goes very well and that Pousse will be happy with a feline friend for company! Do let us know how it goes!

Mags
17-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I hope Pousse will accept the newcomer fairly quickly when you get him Soupie, it will be interesting to hear if if she gains more confidence with a playmate ....... good luck when the big day arrives!:D

dinahsmum
18-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Good luck Soupie.

Jac
18-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Good luck. I'm really pleased for you. When are you getting him? Whats his name? any photo's hehe

Kazz
18-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Good luck, and glad you are happy you seem much more settled. I am sure Pousse will be happy. Whats your new cats name then?

charliebubs
18-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Ooooo - how exciting Soupie!! The newcomer sounds gorgeous. I agree that we need pictures please!!!! :)

I think that as long as the introductions are done slowly and gently and Pousse doesn't feel excluded in any way that all should be fine.

I know you haven't made the decision lightly and wish you all the very best. :)

Soupie
18-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Newcomer is called Catbalu Quando and he is coming home this Saturday :shock:

He is coming from this breeder www.british-shorthair.org.uk with the intention of giving him a home for life and him teaching me about cat showing. He is eligible for both types apparently is it TICA and GCCF?(Soupie is a complete showing dunce!)

He already eats Royal Canin at home and owner feeds same types of wet food as me so I can feed him on Pousse's diet quite easily as it is almost the same as he already has. He is used to be a house cat so fingers crossed all will go well :)

Kazz
18-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow he is simply gorgeous. Congratulations, sure he will setle in well .

Elaine
18-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Wow what a stunner, all the very best as always xxx

tilly
18-06-2007, 09:20 PM
He looks stunning. I hope he get on well with pousse

sally

Soupie
19-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all your support :D I really appreciate the advice and help from this site ;)

charliebubs
19-06-2007, 03:58 PM
He is gorgeous - just look at those eyes!!! :)