PDA

View Full Version : FIV concern.

random
13-06-2007, 09:24 PM
A friend's cat in the area has recently died of feline aids. He was a tom and the vet has confirmed he must have caught the virus from fighting with another infected cat.

Tucker has also been in fights with Toms in the area. He and Tabs ate the only 2 of ours that go outdoors unsupervised. Then we have the worry of the Tom who got into out house after our girls, and now all the kittens too.

I'm sick with worry and I cannot even think straight but where do I go from here? Do I have all 10 cats bloods taken? What happens if they are infected?

This probably sounds like a bunch of stupid questions but my head is all over the place. I don't know what else to say, any advice welcome. :(

tilly
13-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I am not sure what to suggest but it might be an idea to check if the mums with Kittens are OK as if they are ok from what I under stand the kittens will be. I don't know that much about FIV though. But testing might put your mind at ease.
Or you could ring the vet and see what they say about it.
Hope someone else can help you out a bit more.

((HUGS)) in the mean time and I hope it is all sorted out for very soon and they are all fine.

SAlly

alexgirl73
13-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Sorry Random, I haven't any advice just wanted to send a ((hug))

Elaine
13-06-2007, 11:28 PM
http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4873.0

Hi Random, I can understand your worry and I know I have loads of info somewhere on FIV but maybe the above link can help until I locate it all.
Smudgley will probably have some good advice on that one too as may Charlie.
The only thing i will say at the moment is if you go for testing please dont put your trust in the inhouse test as they can and do produce false possitives.

mable1718
14-06-2007, 08:14 AM
sorry i have not got any advice but here is a hug ((((hug)))))

hope you sort it soon

Jac
14-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi. I would get the mum's checked. If there ok then surley the babies are. If they test positive then I would talk to your vet.
Sorry that's the only thing I can think of.((((((((()))))))) Hugs babe.

Animagus
14-06-2007, 08:25 AM
dont know anything about FIV but if you aare worried you should discuss it with your vet just to see what he thinks.. ((((HUGS)))) xxx

dinahsmum
14-06-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't know any of the science so can only offer 'stop panicking, that won't help anything; wait for Smudgley, CB or Elaine to come up with more information; and, if it was that easy for cats to get FIV they would all have it and the species would die!' Remember William impregnated CB's cat and ate from her cats' dishes but they (and the subsequent kittens) all remained infection free.
Deep breath.
Take care x

smudgley
14-06-2007, 09:03 AM
First of all it depends on the contact between these cats. I don't know your circumstances & which cats go out etc. But if any of them were considered at risk from being outside & fighting or being mated by him, then I would get them tested.

If the moms are negative, the kittens should be...so I probably wouldn't test the kittens if the moms were neg.

random
14-06-2007, 01:30 PM
The cat that dies I personally have never seen in the streets around here he live a couple of blocks away, but Tucker not long ago did have a pretty bad fight with an unknown tom and had two bitcuts under his armpits which he had to have anti b for. So this is where my worry is stemming from. Not the father of the kittens as he is a family pet and lives a few houses down from us, but who knows? :(

Sweet
14-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Sending you a hug ((((((hugs)))))) sorry I cannot offer any other advice x