PDA

View Full Version : Jerry wont use litter trays that the kittens have used

Erin
13-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Jerry has decided that hes no loner going to use the trays that the kittens have used,does anybody no why?
He has started going by the side of the trays.
I havnt got anywhere in the house where I can put a tray just for him,Im limited for places to put them because of the dogs.
He does have 24 hour access to outside but spends most of his time indoors.
Anybody have any ideas :?

Jac
13-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Sorry no idea but someone will.

mable1718
13-06-2007, 09:04 PM
um does the kittens go out more than jerry because if they do you could put the kittens litter tray outside and get 1 for jerry to use inside just a thought but might not help

dandysmom
13-06-2007, 09:31 PM
That's a problem, and if there's no place for another tray, I have no idea what to suggest! Maybe scooping more often? Hope someone has a solution...

Mags
13-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Usually cats don't like to use a tray that is being used by another cat....let alone two others. That may be the problem.......have you just got the one tray for Jerry and the kittens Erin?

dandysmom
13-06-2007, 09:41 PM
When I had three they all used the same tray with no problem, Mags.

Erin
13-06-2007, 09:42 PM
we have 3 trays,we have 2 upstairs that they can use all the time because the dogs cant get to them and 1 thats out down stairs when the dogs are in the kitchen at night.
I scoop everytime they go when Im at home or not alseep and they have a full litter change and have the trays cleaned every other day.

Mags
13-06-2007, 09:44 PM
When I had three they all used the same tray with no problem, Mags.
Ahh...that may not be the reason for Jerry not using it then......it seems strange that he has suddenly started doing this though :?

Erin
13-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Ahh...that may not be the reason for Jerry not using it then......it seems strange that he has suddenly started doing this though :?

its litteraly only been over the last week or so mags,he never used the one tray anyway,but hes stopped using the other one now,I havnt got any where to put one that the kittens wouldnt be able to get to.

Kazz
13-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Do you he is just using to the side of the tray - without meaning to ie feels the litter under his front feet but squats outside? how about changing to a hooded tray. Reining him him slightly?

Mags
13-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I was just going to suggest the same think Kazz ;) Why not swop one of the trays for a hooded one........Jerry would probably get used to that before the kittens get any bigger.

Erin
13-06-2007, 10:11 PM
we have a hooded try Kazz but he wont use it,hes not even gettinginto the try hes squatting outside of it,If im in the room when he does it and I put him in the try he just jumps straight out of it

Mags
13-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't know if this link will be of any help to you at all Erin....:?

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20problems/cats/litter%20tray.html

tilly
13-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I had a bit of a problem with buster not wanting to use the same tray as his sister. I have ended up with a tray for each of them in the room they are usually in and this seems to have sorted the problem.
Hope Jerry sort him self out very soon

Sally

Erin
13-06-2007, 10:25 PM
thanks mags thats very useful,maybe im cleaning it too much,Ill try doing a full litter tray clean every 3 days instead of 2,but then it could get to messy with the 3 of them using it,lol there seems to be no winning!!!!
It maybe that im not rinsing it enough after ive cleaned it and he can still smell the washing up liquid,Ill try rinsing it more too.
Cats :roll: :lol:

Kazz
13-06-2007, 10:30 PM
You could just try takinghim to one side and explaining your quandry - :) works occasionaly with Cleo. ;)

Erin
13-06-2007, 10:33 PM
You could just try takinghim to one side and explaining your quandry - :) works occasionaly with Cleo. ;)

lol ill give that a try Kazz

Mags
13-06-2007, 10:34 PM
It will probably have to be trial and error at first Erin ;)

Cat's don't like anything with too strong a smell either.....which washing up liquid do you use?

Erin
13-06-2007, 10:41 PM
we use either fairy or persil Mags,either original or summer fruits

Mags
13-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Maybe if you used one of the cheaper brands of washing up liquid just for the litter trays, they may not smell so strong.....:?

Erin
13-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Maybe if you used one of the cheaper brands of washing up liquid just for the litter trays, they may not smell so strong.....:?

yeah think ill give that a try,thanks all for you help :)

Mags
13-06-2007, 10:52 PM
No problem! ;)

alexgirl73
13-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Wash!! Litter trays!!! LOL!

Sorry I cant offer any advice Erin, all 3 of mine use the same 2 trays with no problem. I must admit to not doing a full clean of my trays that often, usually about once every 10 days or so. I scoop with every poop though, and empty all wee every day! The tray isn't nearr his food is it?

Erin
13-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Wash!! Litter trays!!! LOL!

Sorry I cant offer any advice Erin, all 3 of mine use the same 2 trays with no problem. I must admit to not doing a full clean of my trays that often, usually about once every 10 days or so. I scoop with every poop though, and empty all wee every day! The tray isn't nearr his food is it?

no alex its no where near his food :)

alexgirl73
13-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Not changed the litter or anything?

Erin
13-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Not changed the litter or anything?

no,we have never changed the litter we use since we have had him

alexgirl73
13-06-2007, 11:19 PM
sorry, I'm out of ideas lol! Hope you get it sorted soon.

Moli
13-06-2007, 11:23 PM
My Leo has a bad habit of sitting in the tray with his backend over the edge, resulting in it landing on the floor instaed of the tray....couldn't be what Jerry is doing could it??

Erin
13-06-2007, 11:24 PM
My Leo has a bad habit of sitting in the tray with his backend over the edge, resulting in it landing on the floor instaed of the tray....couldn't be what Jerry is doing could it??

I thought it was to start off with Moli,but when i have actually watched him he isnt even getting in the tray hes squating beside it

Moli
13-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Its at time like this Erin you wish they could talk!

dandysmom
13-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Erin, do you think that, odd as it sounds, the tray may be too clean? That link that Mags posted mentioned that it should smell like a latrine to them, so if maybe it doesn't to Jerry, that's why he's avoiding it! I'm sure you've been cleaning it more often since Tink and Milo are there; maybe that plus the strong cleaning liquid...??? Just a thought .......

alexgirl73
13-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Also Erin, have you checked to make sure he doesn't have a UTI? Sometimes they wont use the tray if they have one!

dandysmom
13-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Good point, Alex!!! Should have thought of that myself!

Erin
14-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Erin, do you think that, odd as it sounds, the tray may be too clean? That link that Mags posted mentioned that it should smell like a latrine to them, so if maybe it doesn't to Jerry, that's why he's avoiding it! I'm sure you've been cleaning it more often since Tink and Milo are there; maybe that plus the strong cleaning liquid...??? Just a thought .......

i think thats waht the problem may be Eileen,im going to get some of the cheaper washing up liquid like mags suggested it may not smell as strong,and ill clean it every 3 days rather than every 2

Erin
14-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Also Erin, have you checked to make sure he doesn't have a UTI? Sometimes they wont use the tray if they have one!

I didnt even think of that alex thanks,ill check him over and give the vets a call,he seems absolutely fine in himself though,he certainly doesnt seem to be in any pain,but ill get him checked to be safe :)

Kazz
14-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I know this sounds silly but could you fit in a bigger litter tray?

Fran
14-06-2007, 07:34 AM
I have seen this beahiour with mummy cats and their kittens. Some mummy cats won't toilet where the kittens go. Ria is like this, she will only use her tray and not the kittens tray so maybe Jerry has adopted a 'mummy' like role and is refusing to use the same tray as them. If this is the case I doubt you have any alternative but to get him his own tray.

Regarding urine infection, when Clooney had one he never showed any sign of illness at all. The only reason we knew something was wrong was because he started urinating outside of the litter boxes and we did see a few spots of blood too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Donna
14-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I dont think its anything to do with thel litter or the tray being too clean.

I have this problem and it is just down to cat behaviour as I have gone through the lists of everything else it could be.

Chloe wont use the litter tray that Misty has used. Every tray I put down Misty uses so cannot get round it by placing more trays down.

Chloe wees on the floor next to the tray or elsewhere in the house which is not good so have now given Chloe 24/7 access via catflap to the outside which alleviates most accidents.

Some cats will just not use a tray another cat uses, and sometimes another tray doesnt help the situation either cos then you have two trays that only one cat is using like in my case!!!!

Hope you find a solution.

dinahsmum
14-06-2007, 08:27 AM
How about teaching all of them to use the human toilet? Theer are threads here on the equipment you need and the way to go about it. It's dead easy!

If not - don't use a chemical cleaner at all. Wash the trays in plain water (use a brush to remove any 'bits'), then boil the kettle and pour the boiling water in the tray and swish around. before you do that scoop a tiny bit of the old litter to put back in the clean - just to reinforce that this is the midden, nowheer else.
The 'experts' say you ideally need one more litter tray than you have cats - so you'd need 4!

Animagus
14-06-2007, 08:39 AM
It could be A UTI you should check his wee after he has gone toilet...... If he has been using it up till now then that could be his problem my Casper did that and there was only him at the time....Hope you discover whats up with him soon xxx

Sweet
14-06-2007, 07:14 PM
I hope it sorts itself soon x

dandysmom
14-06-2007, 08:05 PM
It could be A UTI you should check his wee after he has gone toilet...... If he has been using it up till now then that could be his problem my Casper did that and there was only him at the time....Hope you discover whats up with him soon xxx
Wendy, when Leia first started going to the tray every 20 minutes and passing only a few drops I immediately thought of cystitis and scooped up the wee to put on a white kleenex to check for blood, and there was none. Each time I tested it. but took her to the vet anyway and she was so terrified of the experience that she weed on the examining table and there then was obvious blood to the naked eye in it! So maybe there isn't always obvious blood. Just thought I'd mention this.

dandysmom
14-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Wendy, when Leia first started going to the tray every 20 minutes and passing only a few drops I immediately thought of cystitis and scooped up the wee to put on a white kleenex to check for blood, and there was none. Each time I tested it. But took her to the vet anyway and she was so terrified of the experience that she weed on the examining table and there then was obvious blood to the naked eye in it! So maybe there isn't always obvious blood. Just thought I'd mention this.

Erin
14-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Ive checked his urine today and cant see any blood,but i have called the vets and im taking him to be checked tomorrow.
DM I have been thinking about training them all to use the toilet,is it hard to do though?

dinahsmum
15-06-2007, 09:14 AM
DM I have been thinking about training them all to use the toilet,is it hard to do though?
No - dead easy.
Here's the thread http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15234&highlight=toilet+training+the+kittens
I think it's P@H who are now stocking the Litter Kwitter :roll: (or Pet Planet online) which is an even better product as you can 'go in reverse' as it were, if you need to repeat a step, and you don't need send to the US for it.

alexgirl73
15-06-2007, 06:26 PM
How did jerry get on at the vets today Erin?

shadylady
15-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Jerry has decided that hes no loner going to use the trays that the kittens have used,does anybody no why?
He has started going by the side of the trays.
I havnt got anywhere in the house where I can put a tray just for him,Im limited for places to put them because of the dogs.
He does have 24 hour access to outside but spends most of his time indoors.
Anybody have any ideas :?

Could you try him with a litter tray with a hood?:)

alexgirl73
15-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Has anyone heard from Erin to see how Jerry got on?

Mags
15-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Erin hasn't been on since last night Alex .......I hope everything is alright with her:?

alexgirl73
16-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Now I'm getting worried, still no word from Erin!!

dandysmom
16-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm a little concerned also; it's not like her to be off so long....

Mags
17-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know if she lives in the area affected by the floods?

alexgirl73
17-06-2007, 12:13 PM
no idea Mags, but getting rather concerned now, this is very unlike Erin to be gone for so long!

dinahsmum
17-06-2007, 12:13 PM
That's a good point - bet her internet/phone is down. Smudgley knows where Erin lives - maybe she'll have an idea?

Mags
17-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm sure if Erin was ill, Eddy would let us know....:?

Mags
17-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Smudgley hasn't been on for a couple of days either so it could be something to do with the phone lines being down in that area........:?

dandysmom
17-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I PMd Smudgley a day or so ago and haven't had a response....it well might be the lines down....????

Erin
17-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh im sorry everyone,didnt mean to get you all worried :oops:
Jerry is fine vet said it is cystitis,his temp was fine and hes fine absolutely fine in his self.
I have just had a real s*** few days.
really really sorry,hope you can forgive me :)

dandysmom
17-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Glad you're back and that Jerry's OK...we were just concerned that you hadn't been on...sorry you had some bad days....things better now?

Erin
17-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Not really Eileen :( May take a long while forthings to be sorted out.Im ok though x
Anyway im off to work,sorry again to have worried you all x

alexgirl73
17-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Aww, Erin, sorry things aren't so good. Glad to hear you have found out what is wrong with Jerry, hope he;s all sorted now. A big ((hug)) sent your way!

Mags
17-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Good to hear you aren't ill or have been caught up in the floods that have been around, Erin.

Looking forward to hearing from you when things are a bit easier....((((hugs))))

tilly
17-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Sory to here thing aren't going well with you. But I am glad you have found out what is wrong with Jerry

Take Care

Sally