PDA

View Full Version : Yola.................grooming help....

charliebubs
09-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Yola,

My Bernard must have some Persian in him (although he is a rescue so I don't know his background) and his coat is very cotton-wool-Persian-like.

He is a lovely gentle boy, but not keen on being groomed. He'll let me do his head, ruff and back but nowhere else.

As a result his "knickerbockers" (back legs!) tummy and armpits are getting matted. I have been able to cut some of the matts from his armpits and back legs, but he wasn't keen :roll:

I just wondered if you have any tips for me please?? Especially now the weather is warmer and he is spending more time in the garden, he is getting all kinds of plant-life stuck to him :roll:

I was considering taking him to the vets for a bit of a clipping. Is this a good idea?

Thank you!!!!!!!

C
xx

yola
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Charlie - I'd only take him to the vet for clipping if he's a very relaxed cat, it can be very stressful for them and they often need sedation. I'd suggest doing a bit of combing every day to try and work the matts loose - it can be done, mine have had some bad ones in the past and a bit of patience has usually paid off.

Try and get Bernard used to being brushed, and bit by bit get to his more 'tender' areas. Of course he'll be wary but in time he will get to tollerating it!

Good luck :D

BTW - have we ever seen a picture of Bernard . . . not for a long time methinks ;)

charliebubs
10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks Yola. :)

I've given him a bit more of a brush today - but he is wary of me now :(

I'll dig out a pic, hang on.....................

yola
10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah, mine hate me today too :roll: They've been groomed senseless since Darcy left - it seems so much easier to manage with two rather than three and they are exceptionally knotted at the moment. I used to brush them every day before the boys came along but I really need to get them into a regular routine again and they are protesting (I have the scratch marks to prove it:shock: )

charliebubs
10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
LOL - that's not encouraging me!!!!! :)

dandysmom
10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Are you saving the fur for a "silly pic" Yola?! I can imagine it must be an enormous heap from two Persians....:-D

yola
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Eileen - I never thought of that - wish I had, as you're right, the fur heap adds up to a whole new persian :shock: :-D :shock: . . . I have binned SO much fur over the last few days, and scraped loads of my clothing too!!

dandysmom
10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
If I could get this much from one shorthair (albeit a big one) in a week, it boggles the mind to think of your heap ........:-D
http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/20847DSCN0393.JPG

yola
11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I think if I piled all the fur up from last week I could happily stuff several fat cushions with it . . . is all that heap from poor Leia then? Is there any fur left on her :shock: ???

dandysmom
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Here's the thread that answers your question.....:-Dhttp://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=21690

yola
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks Eileen - must've missed that one!!!

One thing though - is that a Stanley knife Leia's holding, is she THAT miffed at being brushed . . . :shock: LOL!!!!

dandysmom
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
You're observant too, Yola: only you and Alex noticed that! Yes, it was a box cutter; I'd had it on the porch opening a package and left it there! Leia loves being combed, it's our nightly routine before going to bed!

charliebubs
29-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I had to take Bernard to the vets tonight for a bit of a haircut. He was determined not to let me single-handedly groom his tummy :roll:

I held him while the vet used the clippers to get rid of the matts in his armpits and on his tummy. He was a really well behaved man and got a special dinner when we came home. :)

I think he's grateful too - as he must be feeling much cooler and lighter on the underside now!! :)