PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft works help

tilly
09-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I am having problem with opening a document. It is one of my assignment for college I had just finished it when the an error has been found send error report came up which I did. Now whenever I go to open it the following message comes up.
Works cannot open (then the name of the document) The file may be in use by another application, the file may not be supoorted by any of the installed converters or the file may be corrupt

I would be so grateful in anyone could help me open this document or had any idea as to how to open it. I have tried closing it and restarting the computer.:-/ I have also looked in the recycling to see if it had gone there but nothing has work so far.

If I can't open it I am going to have to do the whole assignment again. Which will take hours.:smt022 :smt021 :smt021 :smt024 :smt100 :smt100 :smt100 :smt102 :smt089 :smt089

Looking forward to hearign any suggestion

Sally

Animagus
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Sorry you lost it hunn.... you should really do a back up onto floppy or disc when doing important stuff.... sorry didnt mean it to sound like a lecture xxx

have you tried speaking to the IT lot at the college maybe they will know what to do xx

EmmaG
09-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Sally, if you email it to me at EJG@supanet.com I will see if I can open it for you.

MrsErin
09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi,
There are 2 options here,either way you may risk losing the data.
If you can try to locate the file on your hard drive make a copy of it,and safe it to another location then restart your pc.
Whats happened is as you were saving the file the programme did crash and may have saved the file badly or incorrectly.This problem is unfixable so like I said make a copy of the file,restart the pc and try opening the file again.The programme has crashed but still running as a background process and still has the file open.
I hope this makes sense,good luck
eddy

dandysmom
09-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Good luck! Let us know if you are able to retrieve it!

Mags
09-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I do hope someone can help you Sally.....:?

tilly
09-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Sorry I meant to add that EmmaG has very cleverly and kindly managed to retrive the lost work. It is a bit jumbled but I think that it has all be saved. I am just sorting it out.

Thanks you for your advice though I if it ever happens again I will try it out.

Fran
09-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Well done Emma!!:cool:

Glad you have managed to save the work Sally

tilly
09-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I am too I thought it was a long shot and I was going to have to redo the whole lot but it has been saved.
I am now saving it to disk and emeiling to myself as well so I won't loose it again.

Sally

Mags
09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Well done Emma......a big relief for you Sally!:lol:

dandysmom
09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
A big Bravo! to Emma !!!!

tilly
09-06-2007, 08:03 PM
A big Bravo! to Emma !!!!
I agree I am not sure I can ever say how grateful I am to her as it has saved me hours of work. And as I wrote it when I was feeling drowsy from the pain killer for my back I couldn't remember what I had put:smt102 :-/ .

So three cheers for EmmaG
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :pom :pom :pom
Sally

EmmaG
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks everybody, but it really was no trouble. Sally still had some work to do once we had got all of the text back but at least she didn't have to do it all again :)