PDA

View Full Version : New vet medicines.

dinahsmum
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Took my boys for their booster vax this morning. As it happens, Bentley is brewing an abscess on his face/jawline and has a high temperature so couldn't be done today. (I didn't spot the lump, the vet did as soon as he started the pre-vac examination :oops: . But, fair-do's, Bentley hadn't shown any sign of being unwell)
Anyway, the reason for this post is to tell of 2 advances (which you probably all know about already :roll: )
Convenia (I think) an antibiotic injection which lasts 2 weeks. So, one jab and no pill-pushing, job done.:)
And Profender, a worm treatment given by a spot appliaction between the shoulder blades. Again, no pill-popping. Always a good thing with cats.:)

Has anyone else used these? Am I just way behind the times?

Erin
06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Ive never used them but I have heard of them.
I think Oscar (smudgley's rescue)had the antibiotic injection but it didnt work,could be wrong though,it may have been something else.
Im going to use the spot on wormer next time Jerry needs doing,hes a bleeder when it comes to tablets so it will make worming him alot easier :)

kado
06-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I not quiet sure about the antibioptic but i have used profender in the past i found it worked quiet well and it was so easy to use

jane

dinahsmum
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
........... and now Bentley is home and relaxed I can see that he has a giant gumboil on his jaw :oops: How embarrassed am I? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fran
06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
At least the vet picked it up before he did the jabs!Hope Bentley recovers quickly!!

I knew about Profender but haven't used it. I also knew there was a long term antibiotic but didn't know the name of it. I'd be interested to hear of anybody's experiences. It makes little difference to me really as I don't have a problem pill popping but I guess these drugs could be a great break through for those of you that do

tilly
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I haven't heard opf either of them. The antibiotic will be very useful for tilly as oral antibotics make her sick. Als she is a nightmare to give pills to.
Sally

smudgley
06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Profender has been available for as while now but I've not used it.

As for the antibiotic jab, I have no faith in it whatsoever I'm afraid. I can't see how 1 shot of antibiotic S/C can last 2 weeks & I don't think it worked for Oscar, he had 3 injections & still had the infection at the end of the 6 weeks. :roll: But I'm always interested to learn more about these things, so do let us know how it works for your baby. :)

sarahd
06-06-2007, 11:40 PM
We used the long lasting antibiotic injection for Izzy when we were going to Cyprus as she had been given some eye cream and then ended up with an awful smelling discharge in her mouth. Not sure if the two were related.
Anyway she was put on the long lasting antibiotic due to us being away and the cat sitter visiting. She would never in a million years have let the cat sitter pick her up let alone give her a pill so for us it was a godsend. It worked and apparently she was back to normal in a couple of days.
The worm one we used on Peapod i'm sure as she is a nightmare to take tablets also and it seemed to do the job as there were no sign of worms

Sarah
x

Moli
07-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Cats are brilliant at hiding things DM, I would not have noticed it either!!
Have never heard of those treatments, but will ask when I have Oliver boostered next week...sounds a perfect solution to trying to get pills down them...

dandysmom
07-06-2007, 09:32 PM
I've never heard of either, but the 2 week AB sounds like a godsend to those of us who are unable to pill a cat without Armageddon resulting! Will ask my vet if it's available here! Thanks for the very helpful info!

shadylady
07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
:oops: Took my boys for their booster vax this morning. As it happens, Bentley is brewing an abscess on his face/jawline and has a high temperature so couldn't be done today. (I didn't spot the lump, the vet did as soon as he started the pre-vac examination :oops: . But, fair-do's, Bentley hadn't shown any sign of being unwell)
Anyway, the reason for this post is to tell of 2 advances (which you probably all know about already :roll: )
Convenia (I think) an antibiotic injection which lasts 2 weeks. So, one jab and no pill-pushing, job done.:)
And Profender, a worm treatment given by a spot appliaction between the shoulder blades. Again, no pill-popping. Always a good thing with cats.:)

Has anyone else used these? Am I just way behind the times?

Yes they are both very good and we use the products alot at work and get good response from them:D

Lynda
08-06-2007, 12:13 AM
My cat had the convenia injection last Friday,as she had a cut on her face and 2 badly torn claws.
We still can't work out how she did it.
Anyway, it seems to be working.
The vet said most cat owners seem very relieved when she tells them about the jab :-P

dinahsmum
12-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Just a postscript on the Convenia antibiotic jab. Smudgley didn't rate it following her experience of its use on one of her CP strays. However, Bentley is fine. 6 days on, the lump under his jaw is about grain of rice size; I can just feel it. The reaction was probably not as rapid as with other a/bs I've experienced in the past - in fact I think the lump got bigger before it got smaller and was the size of a large glass marble (not the gobstopper size one, the medium large!) at one stage.
So, in summary, with a healthy, well nourished and well cared for pet, the once-only jab appears to work well. One jab, no pills, no tummy issues. Maybe it just can't do it, or can't do it so well, with a malnourished, uncared for stray with maybe multiple foci of infection?

Mags
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Pleased to hear Bentley has 'lost his bump' DM, that one jab AB sounds like the way to go!:D

Booktigger
20-06-2007, 01:55 PM
i didn't rate the two week injection either - and at the moment, it is only licenced for certain things, which I think are skin and kidney issues (but could be wrong there), it was given to one of my fosters with a high temp, and still took 3 days before he felt like eating, but could be cos it isn't licenced for that use yet.

dinahsmum
20-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes well - I can only speak as I find. All I will say is that it suited my boy (and it was a skin/abscess thing) and that although the lump itself took quite a time to go totally - maybe 9 or 10 days - he was fine all through. I repeat that maybe those 'unfortunates' who haven't had a home where they are pampered and who are maybe not as generally healthy and well nourished, may not do as well.

Booktigger
20-06-2007, 03:53 PM
You do make a good point (apart from saying that the reaction wasn't as rapid) - although the 'unfortunates' are the ones who would benefit more from it - if you are dealing with ferals, it is easier to have one jab than daily tabs, but if it isn't strong enough, it isn't good. The cat I had was actually in relatively good health apart from his temp, you wouldn't have known he had been picked up from teh streets, he was a good sized male. i also dont know if it would work out more costly, when I have used my personal vets, they have given tabs, I do keep forgetting to ask them about it to be honest!!

dinahsmum
20-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Well hopefully this is just the forerunner of more sophisticated/effective drugs along the same lines. No pilling and no tummy issues would be a huge plus for the ferals and the terrified, as well as the pampered house cats who just aren't good at it, cats belonging to frail old ladies, disabled people etc etc.