PDA

View Full Version : My little Lil

Erin
01-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I think my baby is about to come into season again bless her :( Shes been a little lethargic the last couple of days and very grumpy.
She is off her food too,all she has eaten in the last 2 days is a couple of mouthfuls of her breakfast yesterday.She hasnt touched any of her food today :(
Could anyone poss tell me if this is normal?I cant remember if she was off her food last time or not.
Shes ok in herself other than being a little more sleepy and snappy towards Choc,poor boy cant do anything right by her :lol:

charliebubs
01-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Is she a dog!?!?!! :? :?

Erin
01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
yeah sorry Charlie should have said

charliebubs
01-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Hahahaha - that's okay Erin!

I'm afraid that I don't know much about dogs on heat though. :( I'm sure Fran or someone will be able to help soon. :)

Erin
01-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks Charlie,female dogs are new to me so im still learning,we have only ever had males before Lil.
I cant for the life of me remember what she was like during her las t season :roll:

Fran
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
They generally go one of two ways prior to coming into season. They can either be so loving and in your face or they can get grumpy and quite withdrawn. How long is it since her last season? Has her vulva swelled up at all, often a good indicator ;)

charliebubs
01-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Has her vulva swelled up at all, often a good indicator ;)

Frannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, some of us are eating here!!!!!!!!! lol :-D :lol: :-D

Fran
01-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Frannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, some of us are eating here!!!!!!!!! lol :-D :lol: :-D

Ooops sorry Charlie :oops: it's quite normal here for me to be eating my tea with one with one hand and checking vulva's with the other :shock: :-D

charliebubs
01-06-2007, 07:49 PM
LOL @ Fran!!!

You need to get out more mate!!!! hee hee hee :):):)

Erin
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
She is slightly swollen Fran but it was only about 3 months ago she was in season last so isnt it a bit soon for another :?
Im worried about that infection they can get (sorry not sure what its called) ive been checking for discharge but there isnt any which im hoping is a good thing.
She isnt in any discomfort or at least doesnt seem to be

Erin
01-06-2007, 07:53 PM
she is cleaning around there alot though so i may have missed any discharge if there is any if you understand what i mean

Fran
01-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Pyometra is the womb infection you are on about I think. There are two kinds one where there is discharge and the other where there is no discharge and this is usually the most serious one. Is she running a temp at all? Drinking more than usual? How old is she?

Could it be a false pregnancy? Has she got any milk in her teats?

Erin
01-06-2007, 08:02 PM
She will be 12 months in 2 weeks fran,she isnt drinking any more than she normally would.
No Milk in her teats but she acting very strangely with one of her soft toys,she has usually destroyed them within 10 mins of having them but this one she is treating like a baby,she goes mad at choc if he goes near her when she has it,dont no if that means anything at all.
She did have a phantom after she had finished her last season,the vet said it could last right up untill her next season,she was very swollen but it all went down.

Fran
01-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like a false pregnancy Erin. Trouble is often once they have had a false pregnancy they are much more prone to them in the future. I'd be inclined to speak to your vet with regard to getting her speyed as soon as he is happy to....

Erin
01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a false pregnancy Erin. Trouble is often once they have had a false pregnancy they are much more prone to them in the future. I'd be inclined to speak to your vet with regard to getting her speyed as soon as he is happy to....

Thanks Fran,we will be getting her done asap,because we couldnt remember the exact date she came into season last time the vet said to wait untill her next season.
Thanks for all you help Fran :)

smudgley
01-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a phantom to me too. ;)

Erin
02-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks both,
I think it is too,she is getting very protective over her "baby" and if either me or ed pic it p she doesnt take her eyes off it bless her.She wouldnt get out of bed this morning when I got in from work so I picked her toy up and took it in the livingroom,she ran straight out and got it and took it back to bed!
Hope it doesnt last to long,poor choc cant walk anywhere near her without getting a telling off!

smudgley
02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
They can last a few days, or weeks & weeks. :roll:
The best thing to do, is to take her baby away & don't let her have any babies. :( I always think that's a bit mean, but if she has got babies it will just prolong the behaviour.:?

Some bitches will have just behavioural signs, some will have clinical signs too ie milk production. It's usually best just to let them get on with it & it should stop. Bitches with excessive milk production / an ongoing phantom can be given a drug (galastop) to help, but it's not ideal. :roll:

Erin
02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that Smudgley,ill go and hide baby now :(
Hope she doesnt walk around crying and looking for it :(I will definatley be getting her speyed after her next season.

Erin
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
oh this is so hard,she running round crying looking for her baby :(

smudgley
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
well - give it her back if you want to.....

You're in a no win situation really. :(

I would probably let her have it for now as it's not really doing her any harm. ;)

Erin
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Im so glad you said that smudgley cause I gave it her back after my last post,I couldnt watch her any more :roll: :lol:
I gave it her back,she looked at me,ran around the house a couple of times,now both lil and baby are safetly snuggled up in bed :roll:

mable1718
02-06-2007, 03:23 PM
im sorry i dont no anything about dogs

Mags
02-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Aww I think that is so sweet Erin although not an ideal situation for her to be in....:?

Erin
02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I know Mags,Im not sure what to do for the best,she got really distressed when I took baby away from her :(

Mags
02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe a word with your vet as to what to do? I don't think I could cope with her crying if I took her baby away either :?

Erin
02-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Ive been trying since I got up this afternoon to get through to my vet but no luck :evil:
Ill keep trying though.

Erin
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Just got through to vet,he said that its not doing her any harm having the toy and that she will be fine to keep it,but if shegets anymore aggitated I could take her to the vets tomorrow for some medication,I thnik ill leave her a while ans see if she comes out of it herself,if I take her tomorrow just for the consultation it will cost £45 then the medication on top of that!!