PDA

View Full Version : Coping with House move

Amie
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
I will be moving in the next month or so(hopefully)

The House we will be moving into will only be a temporary move until we do it up and then rent it out.

The problem is Oliver is a out door Cat and where we are moving to is on quiet a busy road .
I'm worried to death that he will get run over if he goes out
so I have decided to keep him in.

Is this Fair is it likely that he will cope??

I'm going to cat proof the Smallish Garden so he can have fresh Air and some out door time.

He is a Lazy cat, but does like to go out usually for only a couple of hours a day.

Any advice on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated;)

charliebubs
01-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I have my garden cat-proofed so that my lot can't wander. However, apart from Bernard (who was a stray) none of the others know any different and are all very happy (even Bernard is happy, but it took some adjusting).

I think it's different when a cat has been allowed free roam though, but I think you can still make it work.

I would suggest that you keep him inside for a week or two anyway, so that he can get used to the move and the new home. Get a Feliway plug in to help him chill out.

Then when you do want to let him into the enclosed garden he should at least be settled in the home.

Be prepared that he might try and escape though :roll:

Best of luck!!!

Mags
01-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I can't add anything to Charlie's good advice above....:D

I hope your move goes smoothly....good luck!:D

dandysmom
01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Do you think he would adapt to walking on a harness? Patches was the only one of my cats who was used to being outdoors; when I rehomed her she took to the harness with only minimal grumbling..I agree with the above good advice! Good luck with the move; let us know how it goes!

Amie
01-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your advice;)

I will keep him in the House for a few weeks;) so...........would appreciate any Boredom breaker Games etc:D

dinahsmum
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
so...........would appreciate any Boredom breaker Games etc:D
A fish tank? If you could make sure it was quite secure. Or even one of those video/DVD which turns your TV into a 'fish tank' - like this http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=10570
Might just work?
And maybe a Feliway, to send out calming vibes for Oliver.
Good luck

mable1718
02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
i cant add anymore casue everyone has already given you great tips but good luck with your house move