PDA

View Full Version : Not interested

alexgirl73
31-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, as the kittens are 4 weeks tomorrow:shock: I thought it was time to try them on mulsh!! Not the slightest bit of interest was shown lol, apart from by mum who polished it off:roll: . Tried putting some on the ends of noses and paws to no avail! Ah well, there's always tomorrow:lol:

smudgley
31-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Kittens are a nightmare to wean Alex, I've never had a litter that have taken to it well in the early days. :roll: However once they get the idea, they seem to come on well. I usually add some warm water to it & put their feet in it, they hate being dirty & usually lick it off. ;)

Puppies however are a totally different ball game. :roll:

Fran
31-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I have never had a problem with kittens or puppies weaning them. Can I ask what you have tried to feed them on?

smudgley
31-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I have never had a problem with kittens or puppies weaning them. Can I ask what you have tried to feed them on?

me or Alex?

alexgirl73
31-05-2007, 08:08 PM
If it's me you're asking Fran lol, I went and got some whiskas kitten! put a small amount on a saucer and poured on some warm boiled water to mix it in to a mulsh!

cc22peatree
31-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I have to say weaning the kittens was really esy, mushed up some food and put it down for them,
Within a few days they were eating food like an adult:)

Fran
31-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Sorry, I was asking Alex what she had tried with the kittens. Whiskas meat is fine but I usually start with a kitten milk and get them lapping and then add the milk to the kitten food so it is runny enough for them to lap. if they are not interested, I put a small amount directly into the mouth and they generally soon get the idea. Good luck!

alexgirl73
Mine obviously just aren't ready yet then.

alexgirl73
Right, I'll get some kitten milk tomorrow to try then. Thanks Fran!

Jac
31-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Alex, more photo's needed:-D

alexgirl73
31-05-2007, 08:17 PM
lol Jac, they're all sleeping just now. Will get some when they wake up!

Jac
31-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks muchly kind lady.

smudgley
31-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I just think they are slow to get the hang of it compared to puppies.
I guess it depends on what age ypu first try them.

charliebubs
01-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't worry Alex - I had a nightmare weaning Lily's babies too - they just weren't interested and she was such a good mum and happy to suckle them right up until they left at 8 weeks old (even when she had mastitis :roll: )

I agree that I would try with some Cimicat or similar powdered milk and try and get them used to lapping first, then progress to kitten food mixed in with the milk formula and then finally the kitten meat with boiled water.

It is a slow process and some will probably take to it quicker than the others - just keep trying :)

Oh, and if possible, keep the mum away when you're trying to get them to eat solids. Lily and Abi were definitely more interested in the kitten food than the kittens were!! :shock:

Good luck chum!!