PDA

View Full Version : Complete change in behaviour!

yola
29-05-2007, 09:35 PM
I just wanted to check if anyone else had experienced this. Fifi and Balie have changed into completely different cats since my precious Darcy left us, and all this in the space of less than a week.

They have both become far more affectionate, and rather than sleeping on chairs all day they have been sleeping on the bed with me and actually hanging around looking for fuss and cuddles rather than either leaving the room or making themselves invisible.

Could Darcy's introduction really have rocked their boat to such an extend as to cause them to withdraw to the point of non-interaction?

I was hoping at some point in the future to maybe adopt another persian needing a home. Now I'm not so sure - it's obviously been causing a major problem for them both.

I did all the standard cat introduction stuff at the outset. Why did they react so strongly when most others are able to introduce to cats without too much trouble??

Kazz
29-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Yola sorry my mind has gone was Darcy the last cat to come into the family?

But regardless Cleo has become a really clingy cat; since having Oscar PTS I wonder if like her your two sense how sad you are, a sense maybe of reassurance although they are cats they do pick up on how you feel and without Darcy your whole routine ould be out of kilter and they are reacting to that.

dandysmom
29-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I really don't know what to say, Yola. Was Darcy a kitten or an adult when he was introduced to the family? Sometimes it's more difficult introducing an adult to other adults: I had that problem with Patches and Misty, who never became friends; just tolerated one another. Do you think that rather than being relieved that he's gone that they may be missing him and are compensating by being unusually affectionate to you...they may think you may disappear next...?? Just a thought...

yola
29-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes he was. Balie's been with us 10 years, Fifi 10 years in October. We had Ferdy for 1.5 years in March 2002 to October 2004 (not such pronouced reaction from Fifi and Balie then) and Darcy joined us in May 2005.

Moli
29-05-2007, 09:51 PM
My previous siamese disappered for 2 weeks, Leo changed from an aloof cat to a real affectionate cuddly boy, when we found Sam, and he came home, Leo reverted back to his former self!! Then when Sam died, Leo became very friendly again, then we got Merlin and back he went to his former self again.....The only cat he will interact with is Casper, I wonder if it is because Sam was a chocolate point siamese, and Casper reminds him of Sam!

yola
29-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Darcy was 4 when he joined us. Certainly adult but totally kitten-like in his attitude and demeanour. Unlike the other two who have/had burst of kittenish behaviour but have mostly been quite staid.

Are they missing him? Hard to say! They either ignored him completely, spatted with him or tollerated him from the other side of the room - just :roll: . Maybe they are picking up on my 'vibe' if you like . . . I don't understand cat psychology enough to be able to work it out!

Kazz
29-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Maybe they are really just reacting to your sadness and need reassurance from you and give it to you in the return its a hard time for you all. They really do pick up on that Cleo has never been the same (but remember she's so much older) she needed reassurance at every turn, but she is getting better.

It will settle down

Mags
29-05-2007, 09:55 PM
It's almost as if they know they have lost Darcy and are 'asking' for reassurance from you that you will be there for them......:?

Kazz
29-05-2007, 09:55 PM
There again some cats prefer to be a single cat. Maybe just maybe 3 was not right for them.

Elaine
29-05-2007, 10:09 PM
I think it may be all a mix of stuff, feeding off your emotions, looking for reasurances and also for them the balance has changed so in turn they will trying to find their new roles in the house hold if you understand what i mean.
I remember all the changes that happened here after dear Winston left us.

Donna
29-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I know my two cats just tolerate each other... They usually wont be in the same room at any given moment. I dont think anyone can answer for sure if they are either missing him, or feel less threatened in their home by him, or are comforting you and themselves.

Maybe a little bit of each of those?

dinahsmum
30-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Group dynamics is totally fascinating - in all species, including humans! Cats are such individuals and such self-centred creatures I think it makes them even more inpenetrable.
Here's a previous thread, repeating many of the points in this one http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14350

xx Yola - your house will 'find its own level' soon