PDA

View Full Version : Onyx ...some progress!

dandysmom
29-05-2007, 08:42 PM
She let me comb her a bit today! I'd been wondering if she had fleas, being an outside cat! Took my flea comb out when I was giving her tea; she let me do the usual patting and chin rubbing that she allows now, so I began coming her gingerly with one hand while rubbing her under her chin with the other, and she not only didn't object, she seemed to enjoy it!! Just did it for a very short time as I didn't want to spook her...oh, and no fleas!!! At least so far...:D

Moli
29-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Aww Bless her, she is begining to like the contact with you DM, will not be long before she is sitting on your knee for a cuddle..

Kazz
29-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Wow...what A step forward. She is yours now Eileen for ever :)

Fran
29-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, I am so pleased Eileen :cool:

yola
29-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh that makes me feel quite emotional :roll: Takes me back to the small steps we took with our (then) stray, Ferdy. Ended up with him sleeping on my chest every night . . . and he was a heavy fella :shock:

I bet you anything Onyx will be indoors with you by next winter :D

dandysmom
29-05-2007, 09:35 PM
It's so hard to win the trust of an abused animal, isn't it? It's been about 8 months or so since I started feeding her; we've come a long way. How long did it take for Ferdy to accept you?

yola
29-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I think in total it took a couple of years Eileen. We fed him in the garden for a long time - and it was a protracted process - gradually bringing the feeding bowl close to the house from the perimeter and getting him close enough to let us touch him; he then disappeared for several months when we genuinely thought he would not return.

When he did come back a bad head wound forced the issue and we took him to the vet, treated and neutered him and 'made' him ours. No complaints from him incidentally . . . ;)

Mags
29-05-2007, 09:49 PM
That's marvellous Eileen, you have come a long way with Onyx .......just shows what you can do with a lot of patience ....:D

She will be wanting her daily grooming now ;) I bet she would love being brushed if she reacts to a combing like that.:D

dandysmom
29-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I used the comb because I was concerned that she might have fleas; was going to get some Frontline for her if so. Leia, oddly enough, prefers being combed to brushed,,,
our nightly routine is a good combing before bed (still saving the fur for the birds nests!).

Kazz
29-05-2007, 10:05 PM
It took me years and years with Oscar yes he accepted me totaly but certain things like cigarette smoke would set him off and scare him mind you he was burnt with cigarettes but he was a baby kitten buthe still had that abused factor about him. :) so you are doing excepionaly well Eileen. Well done Karen

Elaine
29-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Thats brilliant news Eileen, your really making headway with Onyx now, well done you xxx

Erin
31-05-2007, 11:46 AM
missed this thread too,thats great new Eileen,well done :)

Jac
31-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I missed this too.

Eileen, that's fantastic news. Well done. I'm sure she will be in your house by the end of the summer.

alexgirl73
31-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh that's brill to hear Eileen. I'm full of admiration for the patience you have shown with this wee girl!

dandysmom
31-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Alex, she was such a scared, skinny little thing: Carolyn had arranged with neighbors up the block to feed her, but if they were, it apparently wasn't much or often...when I and my friend Chris noticed how skinny she was looking I just decided to adopt her, so to speak! She has come out of her shell so much, she actually seems to enjoy a bit of petting and sweet talk before her meals now! And she's looking good! She hates the camera (flash), but will try to get a pic of her when she's not in the shrubbery!

Donna
31-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Things are going well Eileen!