PDA

View Full Version : Steriod side effects

ambermoonbeam
27-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi, I'm new. I have been searching the internet for help, so I hope someone can. My eldest cat a girl torty (around 16-17 ish!) has been having steriod injections for arthritis in her bad legs and spine for the past year, she also has an over active thyriod so is on meds for that. If she doesn't get the injection she goes off her food and soils the carpet because she doesn't like getting into the tray. I took her to the vet last week for her steriod injection and the vet told me that the steriods were making her skin thin, she's also been getting thining patches of fur. Can anyone tell me of any natural remedies that I can get to help her skin and fur and possibly joints, she's such a tiny thing I really want to help her. She's completely neurotic but I love her to pieces!

Moli
27-05-2007, 11:42 PM
My dog has hipdisplaysia and spondylosis in her spine, she is on a supplement called Cosequin, wonder if it would help your cat??

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod1.asp?ID=154

Fran
27-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi! Warm welcome here. I have no experience of long term use of steroids in cats, only short term use. I do hope you mange to sort something out for her. Please let us know how you get on ...

dandysmom
28-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi, Ambermoonbeam! Have you considered using glucosamine/chrondroitin for your girl's arthritis? You may want to discuss this with your vet: it is absent the side effects of steroids. Here's a link :
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1400&articleid=669 (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1400&articleid=669)
Good luck!

ambermoonbeam
28-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi thanks so much for the advice, it's definately a start. When we go to the vet next I will definately speak to him about different options. Thanks again :)

dandysmom
28-05-2007, 09:16 PM
You're welcome! And do let us know how things are going! I'm partial to torties; I lost my Patches last year at 20,

Kazz
28-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi
I can't help directly however my Oscar who was 22 when diagnosed with arthritis had steriods jabs until he was PTS aged 23 he suffered with arthritis too similar it seems to your cat but had no problems thankfully. Sure the vet will be able to come up with something there are so many different brands or steriods. Best of luck, I do hope you come up with a solution.

Karen

ambermoonbeam
28-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow, it's so great to hear of cats that have lived to over 20! The vet's quote the other day was "we are keeping her going" and my husband said "she is getting on a bit and looks raggaty" Typical! :mad: Obviously I don't like to think of anything bad like that, she's just needs looking after. I just want to help her whilst she wants it... she's certainly not ready to give up yet!

Kazz
28-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Well I have Oscar's sister Cleo here with me now she will be 25 in August.
Lots of people say things like your hubby, but I assume she is your cat - therefore you know her better than anyone. And know she is still enjoying life in her own special slightly loopy way - I think they all go loopy after 16. :)

But please remember the best descision is sometimes the hadest one! but better a day to soon than a day too late I have always believed as all their lives I have done everything in my power to prevent them coming to harm and the choice to have Oscar PTS was to let him go without knowing discomfort or pain. He had Chronic Renal Faliure - Cleo has it too now. But she is fine in herself but at her age every week is a bonus.

I would like to see some pictures of your lovely old lady.

Karen

ambermoonbeam
28-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi karen

i've just posted on the new members thread, pictures of all my cats are there. Please look.. I lost two cats in 2005 which 2 months, we made the decision to PTS. William lived with my husband and I and Trixie was mine from when I was a kid (she was 16) but she lived with my parents, I had had her since a kitten and I could tell in her eyes she was ready to go, she had a tumour on her chest. I held her as she went, it breaks my heart to think of it. William (a stray we took in, he was around 18) had a lump removed and within a week his organs started to shut down and we quickly made the decision. It was one of my worst years ever. That's why I can see Amber is happy enough, I just have to make it easier for her. My husband is from farming stock so he has a slightly detached feeling for them but he does love them... you know what some men are like!

I am so impress in your cats age, they really are a blessing. Give Cleo a tickle from me!

Becky