PDA

View Full Version : Hypercalcemia

Elaine
25-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Any body had any experience of a cat that has high levels of calcium? What was the cause?

Kazz
25-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Hiya Elaine,

Don't know anything, however I know some cats with CRF have a sort of Hypercalcemia, but due to another cause.
I vaguely recall reading something like that I am sure, hope its nothing to do with your two?

Karen

Elaine
25-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Oh no, sorry I should have explained. My two are fine thanx. Got a call this evening out of the blue from a girl who's cat has had high calcium levels for 2 to 3 years and nothing had really been done about it until now.
The cat, a 7 year old persian, now has CRF due to the hypercalcemia and has now had a bone marrow biopsy to try to determine what has been causing it. Obviously now, because of the toxic levels of calcium over a prolonged period, the poor cats kidneys are compromised.
Idiopathic Hypercalcimia.

Kazz
25-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Now I am pleased I recall the bit about CRF now wish her the best of luck, it is I think a horrible thing.

Elaine
25-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Isnt it funny what sticks in your mind.;)
Its a very worrying time for her, she will get the test results back next week for the biopsy.

Kazz
25-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah I suppose you get so involved researching, wanting to do the best you can that bits stick in your head then you dismiss them when not relevant at that time but keep them on file in your known data - could be helpful back memory.

Hope she gets good results from the biopsy. Wish her the best.

Elaine
25-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I will thankyou xxx

yola
25-05-2007, 09:49 PM
OK, Elaine I don't know about cats but this is something I had 12 years ago that nearly did for me. It was caused by the parathyroid which is a little nodule that resides on the thyroid (subsequently removed). I have no idea if this is the same with cats, but it caused an over production of calcium in my body which resulted in a rather nasty and almost fatal attack of pancreatitis (calcium deposits causing an imbalance).

Elaine
25-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Yola but am very pleased you are still with us xxx
Ok now I am hoping that the parathyroid has been checked out before putting this poor kitty through a bone marrow biopsy. Will talk to my friend more about it tomorrow as she is a bit shell shocked right now, understandably.

Elaine
25-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Thankyou for sharing that Yola xxx