PDA

View Full Version : Vaccs, defleaing and worming

JBalways2000
20-05-2007, 11:07 PM
i was reading something on another forum i belong to and it got me wondering.

there was a discussion about whether or not vaccinations are actually necessary. someone said that alot of cats and dogs can go on to develop the disease which they have infact been vaccinated against-thought it might make for a good discussion here?

both my boys are vaccinated(they are only 9 months old) and both are indoor kitties. i know i will most likely continue with boosters etc as its not something id want to risk. having said that there was even mention that vaccinations may shorten the life span of some animals?

along with this i was also wondering how necessary it is to deflea and worm indoor cats? i know that outdoor cats definately need to be as they come in to contact with allsorts, but indoor cats are not likely to come in to contact with fleas. again, both of mine are deflead every month and wormed every 3 months but wondered what others opinions were on this matter for indoor cats?

alexgirl73
21-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Well, my opinion on the matter is this, but it is only my opinion and others may disagree.

None of mine are vaccinated, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I did a lot of hunting around on the net when I got Broxi, and decided against having him, or the other two, vaccinated. They dont come into contact with other cats, they dont get shown etc to be exposed to anything that way and a lot of the literature suggests that once kittens reach 6 months, their immune systems kick in anyway! I do however flea and worm mine regularly.

Animagus
21-05-2007, 08:13 AM
mines have not got their vaccs as they are indoor cats but I may have to vaccs CJ if I decide to show him... fleas, yes got a 2nd hand couch the other year there and my babies ended up with fleas found out my neighbour's grandad had animals that went out and the couch was infested... got rid of it asap but the damage was done... havent wormed though didnt think I needed to as they are indoor cats.

Tanya
21-05-2007, 11:51 AM
My cat, Oli is an indoor cat. He had his kitten vaccinations and will continue having boosters for the rest of his life. I dont flea treat him because he cant really catch them from anywhere! He is wormed every three months.

I think the need for having him vaccinated was 'just-in-case' he escaped outside. Also, at the time I had thought about taking him on walks. He now goes on walks and loves them, but is also protected too. :)

tilly
21-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Both mine are vaccinated, deflead and wormed regularly as they go outside and don't have the best immune systems.
Sally

JBalways2000
21-05-2007, 04:30 PM
wow so far very different opinions. im still undecided about vaccinating to be honest. i have been vaccinating my bunnies too but they are also indoors and very low risk of catching anything. i have heard that some small bunny rescues even homeopathically(sp?) vaccinate the bunnies.

id definately always get the first lot of vaccinations, but really unsure about boosters. well i have 6 months to make my mind up! haha

as for fleas and worming-am i right in thinking that if a kitty has fleas they most likely have worms too? i think il continue with flea and worm treatments but it is something il be having a good long think about. i did think about only defleaing them every couple of months rather then every month, but that didnt make much sense considering the treatment itself lasts only 1 month :?

keep those opinions coming!:D

sammy
21-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi JB,

This is thread on the same subject from a couple of months ago:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=20293

As I've said on there, my vet told me that it wasn't strictly necessary to continue to vaccinate once the cat reaches around 5 years old.

As for fleas, they get treated every few months - a bit more in summer or if we see any on them, which is rare. Worming - again every few months.

Kim
22-05-2007, 09:20 PM
None of mine are vaccinated now. I really don't think it is necessary after about 8 years old amd my vet agreed. I also know of at least 3 dogs who have died from auto immune disease as a result of vaccinating. Two of my cats reacted badly to their vaccines and I just don't see the point. I do worm them regularly and de-flea when necessary, but not as regularly as every month.

Kazz
22-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi mine both had their jabs when they were kittens, but stopped when they got to about 2-3 can't recall when really.
Mine were wormed every 6 months or so but only because my Oz was a hunter and Cleo just take the occasional bird or mouse but not to Oz's extent. But neither have been given any flea treatment they do/did however get combed with a flea comb sometimes every night as it relaxed them my grooming.

Both outdoor cats. Never a days illness till old age, Oz was PTS at 23 years and 4 months, Cleo going well and will be 25 in August.

If I got another kitten/cat I would vaccinate until they reached 2-3then stop. But thats personal choice and they would not be using a cattery.

JBalways2000
23-05-2007, 01:15 AM
oh wow kazz they are amazing ages for your kitties to reach, i would be over the moon if AJ and Raven reach just half that :D

i am wondering if it is necessary for me to be defleaing them so often, especially as they both seem to hate being done. every time i do them they end with squinty eyes for a few hours and acting a little strange and it always gets me worried. so think i might start just every two or three months.

as for vaccinating, i read through some of the thread on the link that Sammy posted and its really opened my eyes. it seems alot of you vaccinated for so many years and then leave it after that so i think i may just follow suit. id say things will probably have changed again in another 2 or 3 years anyway. hmm this has certainly given me alot to think about!

im taking the kittens for a general check up soon so may mention this to the nurse and see what her opinion is.