PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tom...

dandysmom
19-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Dumb one, as usual! If one gets a laptop, is it possible to transfer all the stuff from your desktop to it...i..e., bookmarks, address book, etc? Or does everything have to be done from scratch again?

Jac
19-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Are you thinking about getting a lap top then? I just got a new one and love it.
If you save all your information to a disc then put the disc in you can transfer all the info. (I think that's what Sean did:oops: )

Tom
19-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Hmmm... not really sure Eileen...

I know that it can definately be done with Windows... but I don't have the faintest with mac...

I'll have a scootch around the net and try and find out :D

Tom x

Tom
19-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Bookmarks (or "favorites") can be transferred in a number of ways. If you have a small number of bookmarks, you may find it easier to just set them up from scratch in your new computer's Web browser. Alternatively, you can paste the URLs of your bookmarks into an email message, mail it to yourself, then get the message with your new computer.

If you have lots of bookmarks, most Web browsers offer a way to export bookmarks to a single file. You can then transfer the file to your new computer, and import the file with your new Web browser.

Heres something i found on the net

dandysmom
19-05-2007, 09:08 PM
It's just in the wishful thinking stage now; Erin's new one sort of pushed my buttons! It would be so nice to be able to use it on the porch or in the garden instead of being inside here on a lovely Spring day. Christmas is coming, and I always buy myself something.. maybe....;)

MrsErin
20-05-2007, 12:03 AM
You can do it on windows, and ill assume that your getting a windows laptop, your favourites, bookmarks are all stored on your machine at the moment, you could just copy then over either using a sharing program (file sharing/FTP) or copy them to an CD, or even email them to yourself, there are lots of options! If/when the time comes give me or Erin a shout

Tom
20-05-2007, 12:06 AM
You can do it on windows, and ill assume that your getting a windows laptop, your favourites, bookmarks are all stored on your machine at the moment, you could just copy then over either using a sharing program (file sharing/FTP) or copy them to an CD, or even email them to yourself, there are lots of options! If/when the time comes give me or Erin a shout

I think Eileen will be getting another Apple Mac, Ed

Tom

MrsErin
20-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Ahh cool, well good choice on that, like Tom i dont have a lot of MAC experience, just know they're good reliable systems! As far as im aware, windows and MAC's aren't compatable at all, the files are all different and the filesystems vary quite a lot! so as far as where the bookmarks etc are located on a MAC i have no idea! lol i can have a look about for you, as Tom suggested :)

Tom
20-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Lol i have no idea how to use them at all!! But from the couple of times i have been on one, i have noticed they don't freeze and the programs don't all of a sudden start to not respond like windows lmao!

MrsErin
20-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Haha yeah they're good for that kinda thing, and VERY good for graphic design etc i'd love one, but they're just far too expensive, id rather spend 1/2 the price on a PC/Laptop and stick Linux on it lol :P going to go with erin on monday and pick myself a little 12" laptop up, just for wifi research etc should be good! Tom; Got MSN messenger?

Tom
20-05-2007, 12:19 AM
I have always enjoyed using Macs the little amount of time i have used them!

Tom

dandysmom
20-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Eddy, I'd definitely go Mac again! User friendly, not virus prone! This is just in the thinking about it stage; I'm not at all techy, as Tom can tell you...oh, the dozens of dumb questions he's helped me with. bless him ! :-D And I do have gazillions of bookmarks!

MrsErin
20-05-2007, 09:47 AM
lol i would love Mac, just not got the money's right now, it great to see another none virus prone Machine aswell as Linux :D thats great, thats one of the reasons i use linux so much, no virus's lol where as windows....well its just a big virus!