Jac
17-05-2007, 08:21 PM
So how did you start showing?
What made you want to?
And how did you start?

Just wondering.

dandysmom
17-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Thought I'd bump this up, Jac, as I'm curious also. I had friends who showed; was always interesting to go with them, but a bit too stressful for me. My pedigrees weren't show quality, so I was never tempted...get the impression it's addictive!

Fran
17-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I just fancied having a go at it. I went to shows before I even got a pedigree cat to see what it was all about. I already knew which breed I wanted so I went and saw what was being shown, had a look at good 'type' and talked to breeders. Obviously Porsha didn't work out to be a show cat so I hunted the country for a good breeder that had something I was looking for. I then went to the Supreme got chatting with Mildred's breeder and the rest is history really. I started showing the two girls and now I'm hooked - I thoroughly enjoy showing my cats so much so that I entered one of my mogs in a show too :-D

Fran
17-05-2007, 11:42 PM
get the impression it's addictive!

It certainly is Eileen!

Sweet
18-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Now I am bumping this up......I'd love to hear more too :) x

Hreow
18-05-2007, 12:10 PM
So how did you start showing?
What made you want to?
And how did you start?

Just wondering.

I was determined to put Rover through all the things I would expect him to come across in life, as a kitten. Young animals adapt much easier and I don't want a cat that is scared of his own shadow - it makes life harder for both cat and slaves. Showing was part of that. Showing is more fun than I thought before I started as well. I though it would be quite dull for us both, but (at least for the first shows) we both enjoyed the commotion and experience.
Stared by finding a show I could get to without driving for hours, sent for the form and checked with Rover's breeders that I had filled in the right bits with the right numbers and names. :-)

Jac
18-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I'd never even considerd going to a show before the Dundee one and to be honest only really went to see Hreow and Rover. However I really enjoyed all the various cats and everyone was so frendly. I had been ther for 2 hours and it didn't seem that long!
I really just wonderd what or how people got into it.

dandysmom
18-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I found it the same when I started going to shows with my friends. Everyone was so friendly, they'd answer questions about their cats...not surprising, we all love to talk about them, don't we? Seeing the different breeds was fascinating, and of course the vendors and the freebies were fun. Showing itself seems too stressful for me, but going to them us a lovely experience!

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I'd been to cat shows just to have a look around before I'd ever got a pedigree cat or considered showing.

Initially when I got Lily I didn't really think about showing her, she was just my lovely pet!! Then I joined a couple of cat clubs and they sent me some info about their upcoming shows and I thought we might as well just give it a try!! So we went to the first show not knowing what to expect at all, and she came first in her open and won a CC!!! :)

From then on we were addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for her to get her condition back after having the babies so we can start showing again. :)

Animagus
20-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Well I have never showed.... I dont have any high breed cats or whatever they are called lol but it sound s quite exciting being in all that atmosphere and all those fluffies .....

Jac
20-05-2007, 10:43 AM
They have places for moggies too Animagus. When I went to the Dundee show we were talking to a lady with a ginger girl. She was saying she just really brought her to keep her pedigree company but it was the little ginger girl that kept winning:lol:

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Yes, they do. I have also showed one of my other cats in the Household Pet section and she came second!! :shock:

You should give it a try - the atmosphere is great and you meet lots of lovely people and get to have a good old nosey at all the cats there!!!

It is quite a long day though - which is the downside!!

Animagus
20-05-2007, 10:46 AM
hehe... cool.... my CJ I would love to show him.... dont know if he would be up to it though I dont really know the first thing about showing.

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 10:47 AM
hehe... cool.... my CJ I would love to show him.... dont know if he would be up to it though I dont really know the first thing about showing.

Ask any questions you like and we will answer them as best we can!!!! :lol:

Animagus
20-05-2007, 10:49 AM
cool so how do you get into it ? lol

Jac
20-05-2007, 10:51 AM
If there's a local show to you or even me I'd meet you. Not that I have a cat but I'd chum you.

Animagus
20-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh Jac that would be great..... I have no idea where to look for shows though...

Fran
20-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Well I have never showed.... I dont have any high breed cats or whatever they are called lol but it sound s quite exciting being in all that atmosphere and all those fluffies .....

I showed Clooney, one of my moggies and he came first in his open and got his first Mastercat Certificate (the non-pedigree equivenlent of the CC's) :cool:

Animagus
20-05-2007, 11:06 AM
?? do they have to be intact or is it ok to show neutered animals ??

Fran
20-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Non pedigrees have to be neutered if they are nine months or older and have to be up to date with vaccinations...

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 11:09 AM
My household pet was a neuter that I showed.

Have a look at the GCCF website and see when the next show near you is........................hang on I'll get a link...............

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.gccfcats.org/showsnew.html

My geography is terrible, but there is one in Fife at the end of June. Is that near you????????????? :oops:

Animagus
20-05-2007, 11:30 AM
lol yep bout a 20 minute drive from me is that one not just for meezers though?? theres another one in July as well cool

Animagus
20-05-2007, 11:32 AM
oooh and a long hair cat club one in october CJ has longish hair lol

Jac
20-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Right missus what one are you going to, or all of them:lol: . I's quite happily meet up with you.

Animagus
20-05-2007, 11:37 AM
OK what does it mean by Registration papers?

LOL dont know yet JAC am it looks so complicated lol

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 11:42 AM
You can go to any type of show (even if it's just Meezers) as long as they have a Household Pet section, as you wouldn't be competing against the meezers anyway.

Two secs....................

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.siamese-scotland.co.uk/Show%20Schedules.htm

Okay, here is the link to the Cat Club website. They do have a Household Pet section so no excuses!!!!!! lol

Print off the Show Schedule and Entry Form (you have to enter by 2nd June). Ignore the first section as that is for Pedigrees and go to the bottom Non-Pedigree Section......

Fill in name of cat, sex, age and tick either long haired (LH) or short haired (SH) and enter the colour.

Right, as for the classes................. you have to enter one Open Class and three Side Classes and the entry fee is £17 for all of that.

Look at page 16 of the Show Schedule to decide what classes you want to enter.

What colour etc is CJ and I can help you choose........

Animagus
20-05-2007, 11:51 AM
:shock: Oh Boy.... lol its so much to take in lol how do you guys do it??? I will need to get his vaccinations he has been a house cat so I didnt really bother too much with those.... have been looking through all the regulations and stuff:shock: :o

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes, he does have to be vaccinated. ;)

Animagus
20-05-2007, 12:00 PM
:cat14 Did I say I wanted to show?????
LOL I must be mad lol:cat30

Animagus
20-05-2007, 12:02 PM
How do I register my cat so that he is registered to me???? it mentions registered owner documents etc

Fran
20-05-2007, 12:06 PM
How do I register my cat so that he is registered to me???? it mentions registered owner documents etc

All you need for non pedigree is that the name and address on the cat's vaccination card matches the name and address of the person who is entering the cat in the show. You don't need to formally register non-pedigree cats hth

Animagus
20-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks Guys oh boy lol I must be mad hehehe stark raving

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 12:16 PM
It's honestly not that confusing!!! Once you have done one show it will all come naturally.

Household Pets are easier as there are less rules and regulations and standards that they have to meet - they just have to be friendly and able to cope with being handled by the judges and being sat in a pen all day. And vaccinated, of course.

A lot of what you are reading relates to pedigrees only and all the paperwork that you have to have with them.

Honestly, it's easy and fun!!!! ;)

Animagus
20-05-2007, 12:19 PM
lol ok will take your word for it... so another ? are the show pens provided in the price or are they extra?

Animagus
20-05-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.siamese-scotland.co.uk/Show%20Schedules.htm

Okay, here is the link to the Cat Club website. They do have a Household Pet section so no excuses!!!!!! lol

Print off the Show Schedule and Entry Form (you have to enter by 2nd June). Ignore the first section as that is for Pedigrees and go to the bottom Non-Pedigree Section......

Fill in name of cat, sex, age and tick either long haired (LH) or short haired (SH) and enter the colour.

Right, as for the classes................. you have to enter one Open Class and three Side Classes and the entry fee is £17 for all of that.

Look at page 16 of the Show Schedule to decide what classes you want to enter.

What colour etc is CJ and I can help you choose........

here is a pic of CJ & Smudge... Cj is the Black & White
http://ldnntsinf01.myfairmont.com/exchange/wcavanagh/Inbox/My%20Stuff/No%20Subject-972.EML/1_multipart_xF8FF_2_media1.jpeg/C58EA28C-18C0-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/media1.jpeg?attach=1

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 12:41 PM
The pens are included in the price - you only have to pay extra if you want a double size pen (if you have a very big or grumpy cat!!)

I've just been looking at the pics you have posted before of CJ - he is lovely - he has a VERY long tail !!! ;)

Right, let me check out which classes would be suitable...........

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Is he over 9 months old??

If so, then the Open Class for him would be 289 - Long Haired Black & White Adult.

Then you can choose any 3 Side Classes that you want to enter. The Sides are just for fun really - it's the Open Class that is important and brings titles with it!!

They are classes 297 to 313 and include things like "most cuddly", "largest eyes", "largest bottom" :shock:

Animagus
20-05-2007, 12:47 PM
lol CJ just turned 2 on 16th may where do you find the side classes on the form??

charliebubs
20-05-2007, 12:52 PM
lol CJ just turned 2 on 16th may where do you find the side classes on the form??

In the Schedule classes 297 to 313 (Miscellaneous Classes) :)

Animagus
20-05-2007, 01:40 PM
ok thought of 308, 300 & 311 for side classes.... bit undecided bout the last one though lol

Fran
20-05-2007, 08:29 PM
The classes you have chosen seem fine! Just bear in mind that you have chosen side classes all under the same judge. It would be better to choose a different judge for each class where possible. Often in non-pedigree sections there might be only two or three judges so it can make it difficult but I was you, I would swap on of those side classes to one that has a different judge ;)

Animagus
21-05-2007, 08:03 AM
oh ok Thanks Fran xx

Jac
21-05-2007, 09:56 AM
So missus what show are we going to?

charliebubs
21-05-2007, 01:52 PM
So missus what show are we going to?

Hopefully this one in Fife after all the help we've given Wendy!!!!!!!!!! LOL :-D :lol:

sarahd
21-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I too visited a few shows first off. I had pedigree cats at the time but they were as the breeders termed them mismarked.
I then decided i would get a breeding girl with show potential which i did and on our first show she won a 3rd in her open. After that at the next show she got 1st in her open, a second and a third. Then the last show was 3 seconds. All this and she is only 7 months old.
My little silver spotted bsh went to her first show the other week and came away with 1st in her open and BOB and then another 2 1sts and a 2nd needless to say i was over the moon.
Its very hard work and can be a long and tiring day. Also the cats have to enjoy it but if they do then you are half way there.
Plus you get to meet some of the other fellow breeders and its nice to put a face to a name

Sarah
x

Animagus
22-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Hopefully this one in Fife after all the help we've given Wendy!!!!!!!!!! LOL :-D :lol:

LOL well have looked a the Finances and the date of the shows... might have to go with the 21st of July one

£50 squid for Vaccs :shock:

well have put down 809 and then 821,834 & 826 as the sides. ??? any input lol ???

Jac
22-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I'll meet you for that if you want. Let's just hope the bridge is fixed by then. Dont fancy another 2 hour delay.

charliebubs
22-05-2007, 01:58 PM
LOL well have looked a the Finances and the date of the shows... might have to go with the 21st of July one

£50 squid for Vaccs :shock:

well have put down 809 and then 821,834 & 826 as the sides. ??? any input lol ???

If you go for a different show Wendy (i.e the one in July instead of the one in June) then you will have to start again with their Show Schedule and Entry Form, as each show is different and the classes will all have different numbers. Sorry!!

If you do decide to definitely enter, let us know and I'll be happy to help you with the entry. :)

Animagus
23-05-2007, 10:21 AM
If you go for a different show Wendy (i.e the one in July instead of the one in June) then you will have to start again with their Show Schedule and Entry Form, as each show is different and the classes will all have different numbers. Sorry!!

If you do decide to definitely enter, let us know and I'll be happy to help you with the entry. :)

Its ok I did download the other form and the classes schedule lol hopefully will def be able to go in July....

..........and I would love to meet up with you there Jac

Its weird I have butterflies at the thought lol

sillylilykitty
13-06-2007, 04:20 AM
I love cat shows!:smt007 I worked for a Siamese cat breeder for 4 years and she took me to a few shows to help her out. Then I was an agent for someone and showed their Siamese that way for a show. Then my sweet Callie, a tortoiseshell cat (DSH), died and was offered a kitten from my boss, 9 months later, I came home with Lily, my lilac point Siamese. I have been showing her every show I could get her to, and so far she is a Premier with 8 points away from her Grand Premiership:D Im so excited! She only needs to make one final maybe two to get her Grand at the July show im going to!:) My sisters kitten, that she doesnt have yet, I plan on showing too, as long as I have the money.

dandysmom
13-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Congratulations to you and Lily! I've never shown, but went often to them with my breeder friends; they are so much fun! Good luck on the Grand Premiership~!

Jac
13-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Wendy Let me know if your stil going to go and I'll meet up with you for sure.

Charlie, How do you find out about the show's that are coming up? Sorry if I missed that.
How old was your little girl when you started showing her?

SK good luck for July

alexgirl73
13-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Where and when is this show? If I'm up the road for that one I'll try and come along too!

Jac
13-06-2007, 04:46 PM
It's in Fife Alex at the end of July (If I remember) could be alot of fun!!!!

Fran
13-06-2007, 04:47 PM
How do you find out about the show's that are coming up?

Here you go Jac..

http://www.gccfcats.org/showsnew.html

Jac
13-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that Fran.

charliebubs
13-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Wendy Let me know if your stil going to go and I'll meet up with you for sure.

Charlie, How do you find out about the show's that are coming up? Sorry if I missed that.
How old was your little girl when you started showing her?

SK good luck for July

Oops - sorry I missed this earlier Jac!! Good job Fran was on the ball :-D

Take lots of piccies if you do all go to that show, ladies. :-D :-D

Jac
23-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I'll take photo's by the bucket load.:shock:

Wendy are you still going?

Fran
23-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I'll take photo's by the bucket load.:shock:

Just check with the show manager or the schedule that photography is allowed. At some shows, flash photography is not allowed and it is etiquette to ask permission of the cats' owners before photographing them ;)

alexgirl73
23-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm sad. I won't be able to go now as I won't be in Scotland until August now boo hoo!

Jac
23-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I was talking about taking photo's of Wendy's cat and us together.

Fran
23-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I was talking about taking photo's of Wendy's cat and us together.

Oh that's fine then as long as photography is allowed in the show hall. Looking forward to seing the piccies :D

Jac
23-06-2007, 04:25 PM
If not there will be plenty of places outside:D