PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advise needed

Jac
15-05-2007, 07:21 PM
As you know I'm on slow relise morphine patches. I wear them for 96 hours then put a new one on. The problem is I'm elergic to sticking plaster. I thought since it's been such a long time since I actually wore sticking plaster I may get away with it. Ha no such luck.
I now have a problem on my top half of my back where you have to wear them. Blotchy, red irratated skin. Its so itchy when I take one off. Then I have to apply another to a diffrent site on my back. I'm steadily running out of an area I can tolerate it. Anyone got some fix the skin quick remedies? I'll ask the doc if they make them in hypo allergetic do da's but for now it's driving me nuts! I have another 4 to use before I go back to him.
A very itchy sore heeelp

Soupie
15-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think they make them hypoallergenic as that's why I had to switch to tablets :( Have you tried the slow release tablets - they generally have less side effects?

Jac
15-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Tryed it all:( . I still need the liquid morphine in between times:cry:

dandysmom
15-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Can you call your doctor or pharmacist to see if they do come in hypoallergenic form? That itching must be intolerable! :(

dinahsmum
15-05-2007, 08:04 PM
You'll have to check with the medics but how about either Piriteze tabs, to damp the allergic response, or HC45 cream on the irritated area.
Surely there's a non-allergenic patch?

Sweet
15-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Its actually true what the "Pink" (singer) says in her song.......Morphine does make you itch also! so along with your alergy its probably the Morphine as well making you itch......when I was taking it in liquid form before my Gall Bladder Op I used to itch like crazy, until my Doc. threw light on it !

Not sure if it helps but some useless info. for you :) x

dinahsmum
15-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Its actually true what the "Pink" (singer) says in her song.......Morphine does make you itch also! so along with your alergy its probably the Morphine as well making you itch......when I was taking it in liquid form before my Gall Bladder Op I used to itch like crazy, until my Doc. threw light on it !

Not sure if it helps but some useless info. for you :) x
Maybe Piriteze would do it then Jac?
Why not phone NHS direct to ask?

Jac
15-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I'll give them a phone in the morning. I know it's daft but it's driving me nuts. I took a patch off last night then scratched it till it bled!
They must be able to give me a non elergic one surley.

dinahsmum
15-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Think they're around 24/7 Jac. And if you can get to the late pharmacy you might get a decent sleep

Soupie
15-05-2007, 08:39 PM
If you are allergic to adhesive then you are allergic. Even hypoallergenic plasters have some form of adhesive or it wouldn't stick ;)

I would not take any form of piriton without checking with doctor - the combined effects of drowsiness from each could be disasterous and cause a bad reaction.

Good luck and hope you find something!

BTW why not stronger patches rather than topping up with oral morphine? you should get a better more consistent pain relief than if the pain is breaking through the patches and you have to top up? or so pain clinic advise me :? My short acting is for emergencies only although I can't have the liquid as it makes me pass out :oops:

Jac
15-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Think they're around 24/7 Jac. And if you can get to the late pharmacy you might get a decent sleep

Thanks DM but I'm so bad today I cant drive. Couldn't even take Ceilidh to school today:( .
Unfortunatly OH is at an AGM tonigh and will get back to late now to go any where.
I can wait till tomorrow.

Jac
15-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Soupie, I'm awaiting an appointment for the pain clinic. My patches have already been upped to the middle strength.
I can wear hypo allegetic tape. So I'm guessing they will have something that I can wear.
I have got cream for exema but it has an anit hystomene in it which causes the skin to thin. I must confess I did put some on last night but I'm loathed to do it regularly.