PDA

View Full Version : strange thing at vets today

Amber
14-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I work at a veterinary surgery as a Trainee Veterinary Nurse. Lately I have been unable to work as I fractured my patella in a car crash in Feb.

Well today I went in to see everyone and while I was there they were fairly busy so I offered to help for a while just on the phones and front desk. Anyway we had a phonecall from a lady saying that she had found a kitten and wanted to bring it in to see if it was chipped.

So she brought the kitten in and the first thing I noticed was that she was carrying the kitten in her arms, at which point I asked her if she had a carrier, as we do not allow loose cats in the waiting area for obvious reasons. She told me that the kitten had been loose in her car for the whole journey. I told her that this was very dangerous and that she should really have some kind of carrier even if it was just a cardboard box. When I asked her where she found the kitten she said that it was found in her living room when she came back from the school run. I then noticed that the kitten was wearing a collar which obviously says that the kitten was owned, and as the kitten was around 4 months old it would be almost certain that it was local. So anyway I took the kitten through and it was not chipped. When she heard this the lady asked me if she could register the kitten as hers :? This struck me as being very strange because of the collar. Obviously I said that it was not possible as the kitten quite clearly had an owner, and the best thing to do would be to put the kitten down outside her house as it had probably got in through an open window, or shot through the door when she went out. When I told her this she seemed to get really defensive and said was I implying that she was trying to steal the kitten :roll: in the end she calmed down and left with the kitten in one of our cardboard carriers and saying that she would do as we had told her.

It just all seemed very strange to me.

Mags
14-05-2007, 09:16 PM
How strange ! :shock: It should have been obvious to anyone that if the young kitten had a collar on, it certainly belonged to someone:?

I hope the poor kitt has now been reunited with its proper owner.....

Moli
14-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds as if the kitten belonged to a neighbour, and she was not prepared to find its owner, because she wanted to keep it...
As for travelling with it lloose in her car, that was pure madness!!

dandysmom
14-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree, sounds as if she wanted to be sure the kitten wasn't microchipped so no one could claim ownership! Weird story...and loose in a car....:shock:

Fran
14-05-2007, 10:19 PM
This is a sad story because I reckon this lady will keep this kitten as her own and there will be a very worried kitten mummy out there frantically wondering where her baby is :(

Amber
14-05-2007, 10:23 PM
This is a sad story because I reckon this lady will keep this kitten as her own and there will be a very worried kitten mummy out there frantically wondering where her baby is :(

that is what I thought :( unfortunately I couldn't do anything as there was nothing to prove this and it would have been unprofessional of me to suggest otherwise. I just really hope she did the right thing .

Mags
14-05-2007, 10:32 PM
It will be interesting to see if anyone comes in the vets now to report a missing kitten ..... :?

Emm
14-05-2007, 10:53 PM
if she wanted a cat so much why could she not just go to her local rescue and get a cat. I really hope the owners get their cat back I've got a feeling this women is going to keep it though.

I have a confession to make when Lao was a tiny kitten Gordon used to bring the cat into the car with him because he didn't like leaving him alone and Lao was free - he always stayed in the back seat though - Gordon even had a litter tray on the back parcel shelf for him :roll: :lol: it all stopped the day Lao did a big stinker in the litter tray while he was driving and Gordon couldn't open the windows because the cat was there :lol:
But definately would never do that again - Lao was extremely laid back for a kitten - he even came visiting other peoples houses with us :D

sarahd
14-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Emm i too am guilty of allowing a cat loose in our car whilst driving :oops:

Before my darling Molly had to be PTS she used to go almost everywhere with us in the car and usually sat on my knee looking out of the window.

Watching passing childrens faces when they saw her looking out of the window was lovely and they had big smiles and many of them waved to her :lol: Their faces was even more sweet when we made her wave back. Obviously i wasnt the one driving whilst all this was happening.

Sarah
x

Emm
14-05-2007, 11:26 PM
oh at least I'm not the only one! :lol:

dandysmom
14-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't drive, but my late Dandy, the little Pura, absolutely adored riding in a car! I had his harness and lead on him; he would sit on my lap in the passenger seat and look out the window absolutely absorbed at all the sights! He's the only cat I've ever had who associated the car with fun instead of a trip to the vet! I hope he's getting a car ride up at the Rainbow Bridge...of course, I'd never take your average car-terrified cat loose in a car... he was a special little guy!

Sweet
14-05-2007, 11:41 PM
:( I do hope the little kitten goes home to its Mummy and Daddy, they must be worried sick x

Jac
15-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Sounds to me as if this "lady" has no intention of letting the kitten go.
I really hope she does, I know what it's like to wonder "what happened"? Poor family if she hasn't.

Did you by chance get her address? Just incase a family come looking for there kitten.

Amber
15-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I didn't get her address but I took her telephone number which is now on our system, and I also wrote details of the kitten in our lost and found file. So if anyone comes in looking we will know where to go :)

I really do hope she did the right thing though

alexgirl73
15-05-2007, 04:17 PM
oh I hope the poor thing gets home to its proper mummy!

Jac
15-05-2007, 08:34 PM
So glad you thought to do that. You never know.........