PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Pousse for long period of time!

Soupie
14-05-2007, 03:57 PM
:( Finally got an approx date for very major surgery to my leg and it's in september. Surgery will mean I need looking after for 3 months and last time I stayed with mum and dad.

They have offered again but there is the issue of what I would do with Pousse :?

Options seem to be:

Take her to France with me - long journey on the ferry where she would have remain on the car deck alone/ or even longer in the channel tunnel although we would be with her.

Cattery for 3 months - I think this will be too traumatic

Petsitter for 3 months - again not sure she can cope.

Mum comes to me to care for me which would be best for Pousse but a nightmare for me as my flat is not big and narrow hallways make non weightbearing on crutches horrendous :oops:

I wasn't expecting surgery until next year by which time I would have had her longer and she would be more settled but as it is I have had her four months and she is so easily put back to behaviour when I got her : hiding and refusing to eat. She is terrified of stangers too.

Arggggggh this is a big dilemma - friend is looking after her while I am holiday but don't really feel it is fair to impose on her for 3 months :oops:

Kazz
14-05-2007, 04:20 PM
What a hard descision to make. I have no easy answers I am not sure what I would do - I would suggest a cattery you have a lot of time to look so start now maybe the easiest and best solution for all she will be safe and you won't have to worry she has legged it or something. But no easy answers.

Karen

Kazz
14-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Although saying that when you get to France is there somewhere for her to be safe?

dandysmom
14-05-2007, 04:39 PM
That's a really really hard decision; none of them are optimal. Do you think she's be OK in France after the traumatic trip, as long as she was with you?

Mags
14-05-2007, 05:24 PM
What a hard decision to have to make.

Would you by any chance be able to fly to France? It would certainly be less time for Pousse to be contained:?

There again, I'm not sure how soon you would be allowed to travel after your op :?

alexgirl73
14-05-2007, 05:28 PM
My first instinct would be to take her to Fance if at all possible, I think it would be the least stressful option for her as at the very least she will be with you still. I erally hope you manage to work things out xx.

Jac
14-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I would say go with what you know is best for her. ie cattery if she doesn't travel well or if she does take her with you.

Fran
15-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Very difficult one this....good luck with what you decide to do, only you know which option would suit Pousse the best.

Sweet
15-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I have no answers I am afraid, but sending ((((((hugs)))))) x

dinahsmum
15-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I wonder if a card in the vet's might elicit someone to look after Pousse - either in your home or theirs? Obviously, you would have to be happy that you could trust them......etc
Good luck

dandysmom
15-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm quite dubious about a cattery for a very nervous shy high-strung cat. My one and only experience was not a happy one; I don't blame the cattery which was established, well known and of good repute. My Siamese weighed 10 pounds, when I got him home he was down to 8! And a nervous wreck! He barely ate while there and was desperately unhappy. I never did it again. Many cats don't mind the cattery experience, some actually enjoy it; it depends on the cat's temperament. You know Pousse...go with your instincts!

Hreow
15-05-2007, 06:15 PM
If you are planning on taking her to France, you need to get your skates on to get the innoculations etc for the pet passport done in time.

Scout around for a nice cattery where you think she might get the right kind of care for her.

The more options you have the greater the chance that you'll find the best solution. :-)

Good luck.

Soupie
15-05-2007, 07:24 PM
She has her jabs and only needs her rabies and chip :D

I think a cattery would completely overwhelm her - she was miserable in the cat rescue and is so very very highly strung :( I know a wonderful cattery but don't think it would be fair on her for 3 months. Then again not sure how she would travel - argh dilemmas. If she did come to France we have the space to keep her indoors and away from mum and dads cats one of whom would be ok with her but other two a bit terrotorial although they live out all the time.

To be honest looks like I will have to stay here really unless frien could care for her but it's a big imposition :?

Mags
15-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Have you any other family living near who may be able to help you out in some way?

Kazz
15-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Hold on could you not travel with her there sooner. Get her accustomed to being there then she will be settled. Maybe you could get the vet to sedate her for the journey or part of it.
Karen

dandysmom
15-05-2007, 08:00 PM
That's an excellent suggestion about sedation if you travel via Chunnel and car...normally I don't like the idea of sedation, but for a high strung cat like Pousse it sounds practical...

Animagus
18-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I hope you can find a solution to your problem... I think everyone has made some good suggestions but in the end its what will be best for Pousse xxxxx good luck in finding the right solution

Hreow
18-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I found this regarding the rabies vaccination. Double check that you have enough time to take her back with you...
"The 6 month rule for entering or re-entering the UK Pets may not enter or re-enter the UK until 6 calendar months have passed from the date that a vet took the blood sample which gave a satisfactory test result. Your pet requires only one blood test and 6 months wait provided all subsequent rabies booster vaccinations are given by the required date."
from this page here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/blood.htm

Soupie
21-05-2007, 10:35 AM
We've decided that mum will come and stay with me and care for me at my place. Pousse is not a young cat and it's lass stressful for me to stay where I am than it is putting her in a cattery of taking her with us ;) It's not ideal but we'll cope :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone

Mags
21-05-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm glad you were able find an ideal solution Soupie, everyone will be happy now..:D

yola
21-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Soupie - having one very nervous cat myself, I would say the option you have chosen is the best. Cattery would be an absolute no-no, as would travel if that involved being far from me (he freaked when being transported from Reading to West London, some 40 miles in the same car at me)!!

I know that a large part of your post-op recovery will be determined by your levels of worry about Pousse. And although recovery in your flat might not be the best solution, I bet it's a darned sight less stressful then not knowing what is going on with your beloved cat.

I hope all goes well for you and according to plan.

Fran
21-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm glad you have made decision, I'm sure it will be the right one for all of you