PDA

View Full Version : RSPCA Kill Pet Cat

Animagus
13-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I read this in the Daily mail News online and was totally shocked... I thought the RSPCA were supposed to help animals.........

Pet cat murdered by the RSPCA

By IAN GALLAGHER - More by this author » (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/dmsearch/overture.html?in_page_id=711&in_overture_ua=cat&in_start_number=0&in_restriction=byline&in_query=ian gallagher&in_name=on&in_order_by=relevance+date) Last updated at 09:25am on 13th May 2007

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/i/commentIconSm.gif
Comments (37) (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=454396&in_page_id=1770#StartComments)
When Katherine Parker-Brice's new next door neighbour spotted a cat she believed to be a stray in her garden, she called the RSPCA.

It sent out an inspector who agreed with her assessment - and swiftly killed the animal by lethal injection.
But both got it horribly wrong...the cat was Mork, one of two tabbies loved and cared for by Katherine and husband Paul for 19 years.
Scroll down for more
More....

Gallery: Mork, murdered by the RSPC (http://javascript<b></b>:self.name='main';PopUp('you_popup','/pages/galleries/index.html?in_gallery_id=10488&in_page_id=1055','780','550',%20'yes'))
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_01/morkcatMS1205_468x492.jpg
Owners take legal action after inspector puts down Mork

Now the furious couple are taking legal action against the RSPCA after the inspector killed their healthy pet - and added insult to injury by returning it the next day in a plastic bag.
"I had only been out of the house a few hours but in that time he collected Mork, drove him around in a cage in the back of his van and then killed him, inexplicably, in his front garden," explained Mrs Parker-Brice.
"This man's broken our hearts. He has left Mork's sister, Mindy, without a companion. They were together for 19 years and have now been torn apart by a careless, casual act. The RSPCA quickly prosecutes anyone who neglects animals - yet here it is killing them indiscriminately."
Mrs Parker-Brice, 45, from Ruislip, Middlesex, told how her next-door neighbour, who was new to the area, had contacted the charity as the cat climbed into her garden.
But instead of leafletting neighbours or putting up posters to establish ownership or taking it to a vet - all normal RSPCA procedure - the inspector drove the cat off in his van.
And just two-and-a-half hours after collecting the animal, he killed it outside his home.
Mrs Parker Brice said: "I had arrived home from work that day at 4pm and was calling out for Mork but he wasn't around.
"He is an indoors cat, very loving and playful, but gets distressed if he goes too far from home. We found out from the neighbour that she had called the RSPCA but it wasn't until late at night we tracked down the inspector.
"I was in tears. He tried to defend himself saying the cat didn't have any teeth and was old but it was ridiculous. You only had to look at his nails which had been clipped and his glossy coat to see that he wasn't a stray. We demanded he bring the cat back, which he did the next morning, but he put him in a yellow plastic disposable bag."
The inspector, who had been with the RSPCA for ten years, faced a disciplinary hearing but received only a written warning.
"He should have been sacked - there is no way he should be allowed near animals," said Mrs Parker-Brice, a driver for the RAF.
She said her seven-year-old daughter, Samantha, who wants to be a vet, has ripped the RSPCA stickers off her collection of Animal Hospital toys because she was so upset.
Mrs Parker-Brice said: "What I can't help thinking about is the period leading up to Mork being killed. He would have been alone in the dark in the back of that van for two hours and it would have terrified him. He has never been alone before.
"His sister is pining for him. She keeps wandering around the house looking for him."
The RSPCA admitted that the inspector had followed none of the RSPCA's normal procedures.
In a statement the charity It said: "The RSPCA said: "We would like to offer our most sincere and heartfelt apologies to this family, who have lost their pet cat Morky.
"In this instance, an RSPCA animal collection officer tried to do the right thing but made a tragic mistake.
"We would point out that the ACO had the best intentions at heart when dealing with Morky. He believed the cat to be stray, extremely old, ill and suffering.
"As a result he took the decision to euthanase the cat as soon as possible to put an end to the suffering he believed it to be experiencing.
"Following a lengthy investigation the ACO was brought before a disciplinary hearing and action has been taken. The individual has been disciplined and re-training is also being provided. "The superintendant of the region has personally visited the family to offer his most sincere apologies. The ACO - who has 10 years of experience with the RSPCA - feels great remorse over this tragic mistake."

Kazz
13-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I would reply to this if I could refrain from swearing or getting angry....but I can't.

Animagus
13-05-2007, 04:49 PM
I know how you feel Kazz I was totally disgusted and heartborken for that poor couple... how could they do sopmething like this? its beyond comprehension

Fran
13-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Words fail me :evil:

Kazz
13-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I totaly feel for that family this paragraph sums it up for me
Mrs Parker-Brice said: "What I can't help thinking about is the period leading up to Mork being killed. He would have been alone in the dark in the back of that van for two hours and it would have terrified him. He has never been alone before.

That is heartbreaking and exactly what I would be feeling if it were by some fluke my Cleo.

However if I picked up a cat from someone's garden drove them around for a couple of hours then killed them humanly would the RSPCA not be pursing me with a criminal case?

I also thought the RSPCA scanned animals for chips r amde enquiries I am so annoyed is there somewhere to write to to complain.

Erin
13-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Im speechless :evil:

Fran
13-05-2007, 05:03 PM
I also thought the RSPCA scanned animals for chips r amde enquiries I am so annoyed is there somewhere to write to to complain.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing Kazz...

tilly
13-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I am very shocked as well as that could have easily been Tilly as she also has no teeth and I can't think of anything esle to addd that could be put on a family website but I hope the family follows through and Sues The RSPCA.

Sally

EmmaG
13-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Poor little mite :( RIP mork

As a regular contributor to the RSPCA (I have a standing order to them every month) I am seriously reconsidering this and I might write a letter of complaint to them telling them that I will no longer contribute to them.

I will however transfer this to the CP.

Totally disgusted reading this, if it was my cat he would wish that he put himself down. 2 hours ??? he should have least taken him to a vet if he thought he was in pain and check with the neighbours rather that a lady who was new to the area.

Right I am off to cancel my subscription!!

alexgirl73
13-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I am in tears reading this! That poor, poor family and as for Mork!!!

RIP little fella

Will never put another penny in an RSPCA box again! Disgusting actions!

Kazz
13-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I totaly agree with you there Emma I tell you if this had been my Cleo or Oscar and it could easily have been. I tell you the bloke would also be wishing he'd never seen my cat.
Like the woman whose cat is is my mind would play on the two hours in a box in the back of a van Cleo hates the cage in a moving car and only settles when she can touch me through the cage. The though of being in the dark for 2 hours alone not knowing where he was and ailen/scary smells - no good I'm going to have to leave this thread a while again I am getting myself so annoyed here.

kado
13-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I am totaly gobsmacked about it and outraged as well.
RIP Mork
I realy do feel for Mindy as well and for the rerst of the family.

jane

Kazz
13-05-2007, 06:04 PM
To bring him back in a yellow body bag too defies all caring thought.
When I took Oscar to be PTS I took my favourite jumper the one he always slept on given half a chance ;) he was wrapped in it too to be brought home then he was buried in it.
A a plastic bag I tell you I would have to be restrained......or at least they would have to attempt to restrain me............angry does not describe it enough what would have happened if the neighbour had not said they'd contatced the RSPCA would they have owned up one wonders?

SarahG
13-05-2007, 06:07 PM
it's a shame we can't do it to the bloke who did this I certainly hope he suffers for it and loses his job :mad:

alexgirl73
13-05-2007, 06:08 PM
I bet the new neighbour feels dreadful!!! I just can't get over this, I mean they have procedures for a b****y reason!!

Mags
13-05-2007, 06:10 PM
That is sickening :mad: and that inspector should have been sacked on the spot!

RIP gentle Mork, you didn't deserve this :cry:

borderdawn
13-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Sadly its a typical scenario and happening more and more with these people. Poor Cat, poor family.
Dawn.

Moli
13-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Can say anything that has not been said alreadym totally disgusted with the RSPCA!!!!!!!!

Rip little boy.

charliebubs
13-05-2007, 09:45 PM
God how awful. I'm shocked.

RIP Mork and lots of love and good vibes to Mindy and the family.

smudgley
13-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I rarely comment on my thoughts of other animal charities... but unfortunately I have to agree with Dawn here...another stupid mistake by the RSPCA.:evil:

Elaine
13-05-2007, 09:56 PM
I have nothing to add to this thread as its all been said, I just feel very very upset and sad for the owners and poor Mork. xxx
If any one finds out where to complain to please let me know.

EmmaG
13-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Address I am going to write to as follows

RSPCA
Wilberforce Way
Southwater
Horsham
West Sussex
RH13 9RS

Kazz
13-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Ta muchly Emma.

Elaine
14-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanx Emma.

Jac
14-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Words fail me but my anger doesn't. Poor poor little boy, he must have been terrified.
And to bring him back an a plastic bag:twisted: :twisted:

Rosie
14-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all heard too many negatives about the RSPCA:smt022

Sweet
14-05-2007, 01:22 PM
.....I am just catching up and read this.......

I am totally lost for words - esp. ones I can write on here x

lisa0307
14-05-2007, 03:11 PM
It's not the first time the RSPCA have done this....it makes me so mad...I stopped giving to this charity years ago as their actions are appauling...R.I.P. Mork x:(

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/peanuts000/blowup.gif

mable1718
14-05-2007, 03:56 PM
im just really speechless as you said i thought the rspcc were meant to help cats and other animals not kill them

RIP LITTLE ONE

Emm
14-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I have heard of this happening quite a few times - this is why my cats wear collars with tags on them - because they don't always scan for chips!

I am so angry reading this - that poor family - I just keep thinking what if that had been one of my cats - I would struggle not to retaliate.

I stopped supporting the RSPCA and the SSPCA awhile ago because of their treatment of animals

logoes
14-05-2007, 09:09 PM
My India only has one tooth, does that make her a target for an idiot from the RSPCA?

I stopped supporting them many years ago because I heard so many negative reports, and experienced one myself when I called them for an injured swan but it was the weekend and they weren't working .

My friend called them for a dog she found injured and dying by the roadside - the reply was Well if it dies the refuse collectors will take it when they are round next. She called her own vet to put it down and take it away.

I am so sorry for all the sick, lost and injured animals but cannot bring myself to support the RSPCA,I prefer to donate to the specific Animal Trusts and the local rescues
Logoes.

Kim
14-05-2007, 09:44 PM
This is disgusting, poor cat and poor owners. I'm afraid I lost my faith in the RSPCA some time ago and cancelled my monthly donation to them.

sammy
14-05-2007, 10:56 PM
That is just awful. I too have heard negative stories about the RSPCA, though more along the line of them not being willing to come out, than anything as horrible as this.

However, I have adopted 3 cats from them. I suppose the main reason for this is that I wanted to adopt unwanted animals (rather than buy from someone) and there just happens to be a large RSPCA cattery very close to me. Much as this story would put me off supporting them in any other way, I feel I would still adopt from them as the cats in the cattery still deserve a good home.

They really do need to look at their procedures and ongoing training though, because this story is just heartbreaking. :(

sarahd
14-05-2007, 11:17 PM
What an awful story and poor little Mork :( RIP little man

Lets home at some stage that horrible man from the RSPCA gets his comeuppance

Sarah
x

lisa0307
15-05-2007, 03:55 PM
This is why I will NEVER support the RSPCA...please also see more here CLICKY HERE (http://www.walk-wales.org.uk/rspca.html)
...also this sad story of a german shepherd.... WARNING about the images on page 2/3
CLICKY HERE (http://www.walk-wales.org.uk/tlc.html)
this from the liverpool echo in 2001
OWNER UPSET OVER DOG'S DEATH
A much loved family pet was put down by the RSPCA after it it had been registered missing by its owners.
Sue Carroll, a florist, from Walton, said she was devastated at the death of her golden cocker spaniel, Pluto.
"We put adverts in the ECHO and all the weekly papers, " said Sue. "We put street posters up and went up to the dogs' home in Halewood to see if he had turned up.
"He wasn't there but his details were logged by one of the girls there."
On Bonfire Night there was a breakthrough when one of Sue's neighbours said she thought she had seen Pluto in the RSPCA dogs' home. She said:
"We went up there and were told they had put him down seven days before. I couldn't believe it; they had all of Pluto's details and yet nobody thought to check whether it was my dog. "I've cried and cried over this but I just want to warn other people who have lost their animals that this might happen to them."
John Smallwood, secretary administrator for RSPCA Liverpool said: "The dog was reported missing in August but we do receive on average 50 calls a day from people reporting stray dogs. "The dog was handed in as a stray on October 23. It was not in good health and was around eight years old.
We had not been contacted by the owners since August and the dog did not have a name tag, tattoo or a microchip to identify it.
We put the dog to sleep after seven days in accordance with the law. "The Liverpool RSPCA receives over 4,000 strays a year and unfortunately we do not have the space to house them all indefinitely.
The RSPCA representative says "We put the dog to sleep after seven days in accordance with the law"
How are you reading that????? Do you read it that the law says the dog MUST be put down after seven days?!! The law says nothing of the kind they could have kept the dog alive until their £ 140.000000 had run out had they been so minded!!
AND ANOTHER...
An elderly couple were left distraught after the RSPCA put down their beloved alsatian dog by mistake.
Seven-year-old Shantae was given a lethal injection by the Godshill animal centre manager after a tragic misunderstandin
Heartbroken Norma Knight and her husband, Norman, both 73, of Allotment Road, Niton, said the manager did not make them sign a consent form, part of the RSPCA's standard procedure.
The RSPCA said it deeply regrets the incident and the Godshill centre is undergoing a fundamental review of its policies.
The couple called in the RSPCA to take a look at Shantae when she developed mild diarrhoea and stiffness in her back legs. They decided to call the charity to examine the animal when they found they could not afford vet's bills.
When the RSPCA worker arrived, Mr Knight held Shantae while the RSPCA officer administered the injection. A tearful Mrs Knight said: "He held on to the dog because she was a big alsatian and he wanted to help out. He thought the injection was to calm her down before they began examining her." Mr Knight asked when the woman from the RSPCA and her assistant were going to examine their pet. The woman then dropped the bombshell news that their dog would not wake up.
"We did not sign for this. The woman has destroyed our family. Norman is terribly distraught," said Mrs Knight. RSPCA bosses visited the Knights last week to try and find out how the error had occurred. Meanwhile, Mr and Mrs Knight have had their beloved pet cremated and keep her ashes as a reminder of the happy times they spent together.

There was another time when they picked up a shelled animal... mis-identified it as a turtle, and consequently drowned a rather nice tortoise that had got out of someones garden, by "housing" it in a tank of water.....it beggars belief :( the list goes on and on.... :(

Sign the Petition NOW! CLICKY HERE (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/rspcainquiry/) PLEASE PASS IT ON.

alexgirl73
15-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Signed!!!!

Jac
15-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Signed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yola
15-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Shocking and disgusting - in both cases :( Maybe Her Maj, having her moniker on the RSPCA (so to speak) should have something to say about this . . . after all, if it's a Royal Society surely they should have this revoked for such apalling and irresponsible behaviour?

Maybe a note to Buck House Admin should be considered?

tilly
15-05-2007, 11:26 PM
I have signed too

SAlly

EmmaG
15-05-2007, 11:28 PM
signed !!!!!!

Animagus
18-05-2007, 12:01 PM
signed................

sophia
07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Katherine,
i know what you feel. They did the same to the stray cats i took to them in good faith last saturday. I told them i would take them back home with me if they could not find homes for them...they ended up murdering them. A mother cat and her little girl kitten...i am disgusted at them...

moonstone
10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
The RSPCA NO LONGER care about animals:( they are just another money making organisation who are sitting on their nine million (at the last count) fortune while allowing animals to suffer:evil: Killing them save them money as they don,t have to bother to nurse them back to health (if necessary) and then re-home them:(
I hate them:evil:

jan
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Words fail me that this happened, though I do remember hearing about it at the time - to read through what actually happened is heart breaking. Its only by making these things public knowledge and discussing things that hopefully, things might alter for the better. I sincerely hope they do. Jan x