PDA

View Full Version : Dundee show

Jac
11-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone else going tomorrow?

Hreow is going to show (I think) I'm going to see her and see all that goes on when they let the public in:-D .
Seemingly there's some good stalls.

Erin
11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
im not going to far away wish i was though,hope you have a good day :)

Jac
11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Must confess I haven't been out in public since Tuesday.
I think it will be really good for Ceilidh too. She'll have a ball. Only thing is, she'll want every cat she see's:lol:

Erin
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Must confess I haven't been out in public since Tuesday.
I think it will be really good for Ceilidh too. She'll have a ball. Only thing is, she'll want every cat she see's:lol:

awww bless her,ive just had my youngest sister here and she wanted to take Milo and Tinkerbell with her :shock: :lol:
as they were leaving all she was saying was dad can i have a kitten,can i have a kitten dad :lol:

Jac
11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
And will she get one? Knowing little girls (and big one's) with there Dad's she'll win!

Erin
11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
if she was living with dad then yes she would,she only stays with him on weekends and school holidays so i dont think he will have one :(
ill see what i can do to help her though :lol:

alexgirl73
11-05-2007, 07:36 PM
wish I could be there Jac! Hope you have a great time (and take a small handbag so temptation doesn't become too much lol)

dandysmom
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Have a great time at the show, Jac, and say Hi to Hreow for me! Take your camera! :-D

Animagus
12-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Good Luck to Hreow in todays Show... have a nice time Jac it will be nice for you and Ceilidh to get out xxxx

Fran
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Have a great time at the show Jac! and good luck to anyone who is showing x

Mags
12-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Enjoy the show, Hreow and Jac ......good luck!:D

Jac
12-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Posted about the Show in the daily thread:oops:

Hreow
14-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Long day at the show. I was Stewarding for the first time ever and worried that I would accidentally let one of my charges escape. It was a very educational day. Handling so many different cats of all sizes, shapes and fur-lengths teaches you a lot about the different breeds and my allocated judge was quietly explaining why he awarded (or with-held) the places that he did.

Rover wasn't very happy with the crowds this time. I think it's time for a break while I try to get him happy with lots of people around again. He was enjoying it in his first show, which should have been the scariest, so I'm wondering if something happened to put him off. It doesn't help when the judging gets off to a late start so that most of it is done when the visitors to the show are milling about. No complaints about the general public at the show, they are very far from a baying mob. :-) Just that the contrast between cage-to-your-self and wall-of-people-and-hissing-neighbour-cats is large enough to be unsettling.

Favourite cat (not counting Rover) was a La Perm kitten who sauntered out of her cage with an interested look of "I like you, where do you want me to stand?". Absolutely adorable, well-mannered and a shoulder cat (which I'm partial to).

Note to self: Bring oven-gloves for handling hyper-fluffy cats in warm environments. :grin:

Oh, and if you do want to get closer to the cats at a show - volunteer to help. You will probably be writing certificates and rosettes to begin with, which gives an insight into the whole process of showing. Later you can steward - which means getting your mitts on some of the best show-cats around with a judge on hand to explain the breed standard in the flesh. You can even bring your son/daughter with you to help put rosettes on the cages when the time for that comes, as long as they can be trusted to stay out of the judging-area until that time.

Fran
14-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you had an enjoyable day even if Rover wasn't so amused on this occasion :lol: I think Stewarding would be a lot of fun...but a lot of responsibility too

Glad you enjoyed the day!

Mags
14-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Glad you enjoyed your day Hreow ......it sounds as if Rover was a wee bit overwhelmed by it all...:)

Stewarding sounds a bit of a "be on your guard" task.......... I hope you came away unscathed!! :D

charliebubs
14-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Glad you had a good day. :)

I volunteered to do table work at a show I was at with Lily once and it was blooming hard work!!! :shock: We got lunch thrown in, but I hardly had a spare minute to look at the other cats or chat to the breeders.

Not sure I'd do it again!!! :roll:

dandysmom
14-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Sounds as if you had an interesting, if busy day...sorry to hear Rover wasn't his usual ebullient self, but understandable under the circumstances! I'm sure he got treats and some extra TLC when he was back home, bless him!

Hreow
15-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Glad you enjoyed your day Hreow ......it sounds as if Rover was a wee bit overwhelmed by it all...:)

Stewarding sounds a bit of a "be on your guard" task.......... I hope you came away unscathed!! :D

Stewarding isn't really that difficult, if you're used to handling your own cats. The judge may warn you that a cat is tetchy before you even open the cage or you may decide that you're not comfortable getting your hands anywhere near a cat (in which case you are not obliged to handle it ) but most are laid-back cuddly felines. We had one fierce creature - a wee female - who almost managed to bite the judge and did scratch him (didn't do anything but hiss at me when I put her back - luck more than skill. :D) and one cat that crouched in a corner and hissed when I opened the cage (Asked the judge for his call and we left her alone - it was one of the side-classes, so no point in upsetting her more than she already was).
You need to have a reasonable back. Main Coon male adults are *heavy*! And of course bend your knees rather than back when fetching, which also has the advantage that you're not looming over the cat (it intimidates some cats).